Why did they include the Gamecube?

I for one am glad they did . Its giving me a chance to try games that I would have not been able too otherwise .

WiiBad said:
Yeah, the backwards compatibility thing seems to be pretty much expected now...it's the thing to do and Nintendo did it flawlessly. It has often crossed my mind that we are actually playing next to the same hardware as the Gamecube had, just with a bit of a different interface (and supped up a bit of course). Just think of all the extra hardware they probably had lying around after last gen. Anyway, just a thought. The complete backwards compatibility is the best thing Nintendo could have done for us in my opinion, and the VC just beats all!
Yeah, it's great to see that Nintendo has put so much backwards compatibility into the Wii. The XBOX 360 doesn't have full backwards compatibility either. It's only compatible with a select number of games that have been included in BC updates. I just hope Nintendo continues this in the next generation of their consoles and doesn't leave people that have spent loads of $$$ on Virtual Console games in the dust.

Well, think of it. You see a Gamecube for sale for about 80 bucks, then you see a Wii for 250 bucks and it comes with a game, and plays gamecube games..You figure its a better deal so it wins you over. Aside from that, it is a standard as everyone else is saying lol

som1 said:
actually nintendo did it first with gameboy; the game boy color had backwards compatability with the original gameboy; the gba had backwards compatability with game boy color games; ect

The Atari 5200 had an adapter to play original Atari 2600 games. The Atari 7800 could play them with no adapter, but could not play the Atari 5200 games.

Another fun tidbit: the ColecoVision - a competing console - had an adapter to play Atari 2600 games! Can you imagine if Sony or Microsoft released an add-on to their symptoms allowing you to play each other's games?

I would be very bummed if I couldnt play all my gamecube games anymore because the wii didnt support. For me its the only way to go with a new console ( especially nintendo consoles ) Even the first new gameboy supported it. Was very happy with that as well :D:D

Has any one considered it's incompatibility with DVD. I think that was a ridiculous mistake to make for Nintendo. not only does the PS3 have a dvd player integrated within it. It also has a Blu-Ray player. I was pretty disappointed to see that with the new system since it's so easy to do.

Mingus said:
Has any one considered it's incompatibility with DVD. I think that was a ridiculous mistake to make for Nintendo. not only does the PS3 have a dvd player integrated within it. It also has a Blu-Ray player. I was pretty disappointed to see that with the new system since it's so easy to do.

It is easy to do from a technical standpoint, but it would require Nintendo paying a DVD licensing fee for each Wii, so it would have added to the cost.

Back