Why did they name...

NoShine

I play with my Wii
Apr 28, 2007
Maryland, US
Wii Online Code
6922-4730-4492-2349
Why did they name this console Wii? I know it was gonna be Revolution at once. But why did they choose Wii, anyone know? Im sorry, but they left the name open for soooooo many jokes. Ha:frown2:

also, people over in Asia, could not pronoune "Revolution". It makes sense, and also the WII (we) can all play, meaning togethor was another part of that.

The console was known by the code name of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006, immediately prior to E3. According to the Nintendo Style Guide, the name "is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii." This means it is the first home console Nintendo has marketed outside of Japan without the company name featured in its trademark. While "Wiis" is a commonly used pluralization of the console, Nintendo has stated that the official plural form is "Wii systems" or "Wii consoles."Nintendo spells "Wii" with two lower-case "i" characters meant to resemble two people standing side by side, representing players gathering together, as well as to represent the console's controllers. The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the most well known is:
“ Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.”
Despite Nintendo's justification for the name, some game developers and members of the press initially reacted negatively towards the change. They preferred "Revolution" over "Wii" and expressed fear "that the name would convey a continued sense of 'kidiness' to the console. "The BBC reported the day after the name was announced that "a long list of puerile jokes, based on the name," had appeared on the Internet. Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledged the initial reaction and further explained the change:
“ Revolution as a name is not ideal; it's long, and in some cultures, it's hard to pronounce. So we wanted something that was short, to the point, easy to pronounce, and distinctive. That's how 'Wii,' as a console name, was created.”
Nintendo defended its choice of "Wii" over "Revolution" and responded to critics of the name by stating: "live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it."

Wii is simple and everyone from everywhere can pronounce it, with revolution it's not too easy to pronounce if you're not english speaking.

They wanted a name that's international and can appeal to everyone, but it also sounds like we as in we all can play to symbolize the wii will bring many together ages 8 to 80.

Another reason is because it just looks nice as a logo, it just stands out. The name also helped people start many conversations about the Wii just because it had such a different sounding name.

The Wii is for everyone. The "i"s at the end are meant to be people playing together. Its like Nokia's "Connecting People" but on the Wii.

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
wii emphesises " we" becuase everyone can play!

rep me if i done well
you want rep for saying the same thing the guy above you said??? :nonod:

WiiZero said:
The console was known by the code name of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006, immediately prior to E3. According to the Nintendo Style Guide, the name "is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii." This means it is the first home console Nintendo has marketed outside of Japan without the company name featured in its trademark. While "Wiis" is a commonly used pluralization of the console, Nintendo has stated that the official plural form is "Wii systems" or "Wii consoles."Nintendo spells "Wii" with two lower-case "i" characters meant to resemble two people standing side by side, representing players gathering together, as well as to represent the console's controllers. The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the most well known is:
“ Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.”
Despite Nintendo's justification for the name, some game developers and members of the press initially reacted negatively towards the change. They preferred "Revolution" over "Wii" and expressed fear "that the name would convey a continued sense of 'kidiness' to the console. "The BBC reported the day after the name was announced that "a long list of puerile jokes, based on the name," had appeared on the Internet. Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledged the initial reaction and further explained the change:
“ Revolution as a name is not ideal; it's long, and in some cultures, it's hard to pronounce. So we wanted something that was short, to the point, easy to pronounce, and distinctive. That's how 'Wii,' as a console name, was created.”
Nintendo defended its choice of "Wii" over "Revolution" and responded to critics of the name by stating: "live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it."
damn thats a long post!!! thats longer than a report!!!but i do agree

NoShine said:
Why did they name this console Wii? I know it was gonna be Revolution at once. But why did they choose Wii, anyone know? Im sorry, but they left the name open for soooooo many jokes. Ha:frown2:

:mad2: Did you just breeze over the other topics that discuss this?

FYI: It was never going to be Revolutions. Just like the GameCube had the code name Dolphine.

Sovieto said:
you want rep for saying the same thing the guy above you said??? :nonod:

i know
the cheek of kids these days
especially
those celtic fans
who got bet off of hearts 3-1

I think it is named wii because it sounds crude however you say it
me and my four friends can all play with my wii together

Back