Why do these shots of METAL GEAR look like a Wii game?

WiitnessID

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2007
Look at the blurred textures almost no normal mapping? Whats going on here? Is the Wii the lead console for this game or some thing...
I know what kojima said but he is a little too cool with the nintendo crowd...

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0802/game080202d.shtml

j/k
But really look at these shots and wonder why this game is not on the Wii. Snake looks fine in smash brothers and the metal gear behind them is pretty impressive. I don't know if this game is going to do that well on the HD system with graphics like this so who would want this game on the Wii? If the Wii can do fatal frame then why can it not do metal gear?

Also what if you got a metal gear that pushed the Wii's graphics rather than try and look like a PS3 game? Would you guys even want that? After no more hero's I'm looking forward to more freakiness! metal gear looked just fine on the GC. Just wondering because it would be a shame to see metal gear end up like UT3...LOL

well there was a metal gear solid game of the gamecube so there might be one on the wii. only time will tell.

Why not just buy a PS3 if you want Metal Gear so much? That way you can play MGS4 along with all those other good games people talk about so much (CoD4 ^_^)

i want a ps3 but the good ones are expensive

Wow. I don't think the Wii could even run screenshots of that game. Just the thought of it would make the little Wii weep.

WiitnessID said:
If the Wii can do fatal frame then why can it not do metal gear?
Metal gear would likely have much more going on at one time than fatal frame. The intense parts of fatal frame you can mask with light effects, shooting hte ghosts with cameras, to make it look cool. the intense parts of metal gear probably have a lot going on at one time, so to integrate motion control, AND have so much going on physics wise AND to make the game look good? It probably wouldnt turn out too well.

Yea its not all about "Turning down the Graphics" you would have to literally delete alot of things. For example lets say there's a level with alot of broken smashed up cars and tanks around. They would have to literally delete alot of those so there are less things on the screen. Also it would have bad pop-in, also you would have to make the visual range (how far you can see) alot shorter, blurring things far way alot more, remove debris, less smoke effect, etc. etc.

You get the point :p

^ yes and no

you do need to turn down things like physics and how much stuff can go on at once because of the wiis limited processer power.

but cars in the distance that would happen..think of zelda trees in the distance weren't blurry

Yer dude, its just some focus effect, all those backgrounds are MEANT to be blurred, so your eyes focus on the gun, or the dude's face.
Its easier to say Wii would be capable of a PS2 version with some slightly higher-res textures, and slightly greater draw distance, rather than say Wii would be capable of a 'detuned' PS3 version of the game. Too much would have to be removed and altered to make a PS3 title work on Wii.

So no, this doesnt look like a Wii game, its just some fancy effects to make the 'camera' seem more like a movie rather than a game.

jimbo said:
^ yes and no

you do need to turn down things like physics and how much stuff can go on at once because of the wiis limited processer power.

but cars in the distance that would happen..think of zelda trees in the distance weren't blurry

Turn down the physics? LOL! Do you realize what that would involve? It's not like "physics" is on some slider switch or something.

It would entail rewriting all of the physics code. Therefore, you should easily understand why no developer wants to port PS3/360 games to the Wii (and why many/most don't want to develop for the Wii).

jimbo said:
^ yes and no

Yeah but I'm playing MGS4 and I'm like snap, i could blow that car up, and I can. You gotta be able to do more than just look at it. You can't like make a tree explode in zelda.

Many of those blurs are apparent for a reason. Focals.

The Wii couldn't run anywhere near that. The processor just couldn't handle the technology going into it. Graphics, physics and much more would have to go and then it wouldn't even be worth it.

Yea trees in Zelda are like inanimate objects. Nothing can be done to it. You can even put cut marks into them.

But when a object is somewhat "animate" then you can actually do something to it.

But since im not a game designer I can't really explain it because im not 100% sure about how it works, I just know some basic things from what I read.

Back