Why does EB Games sell Wii games in unsealed cases?

SoupCamera

WiiChat Member
Nov 20, 2006
Why does EB Games sell Wii games in unsealed cases?
(actually... this also applies to games for other consoles)

I got a $100 gift card for EB Games and I was planning to
use it for some Wii games. I've never been to EB Games
until today, so I was kind of surprised that all the game
cases were open....

Does their sister store, Gamestop, sell games the same
way? (also never been to one) :)

Thanks!

You sure it was all the game cases and not only a selective few? It's probably one copy of each, and they just do that to put it in their Kiosks.

Kamikaze said:
You sure it was all the game cases and not only a selective few? It's probably one copy of each, and they just do that to put it in their Kiosks.

well... I'm not sure... Like I said, I've never been to EB
Games.

I was only looking at two games, Red Steel and Zelda.
They had several open cases of each game on the wall.
When I told the guy that I want to buy those, he remove
two cases from the wall and started looking for the discs
in a disc storage box. He then put the discs in the cases
and put a seal on it. It was $49.99 each... I asked him
if he had them in unopned cases and he just said "no, we
don't do that here..." ??? :yikes: I said "no, thank you"
and left the store....

Guess I'll save the $100 gift card that I have for Wii points
and/or Wii accessories...

I find it hard to buy games like that... Or am I the only
who prefer "virgin" unopened cases? :) I drove down
the street and bought those games at BestBuy instead.
(with the BB coupon, it was only $44.99 per Wii game)

They probably wanted to sell you one from the kiosk, or that could of always been the last copy. I don't work there, so I don't know, but if we have one copy left and it's the store copy, we let them know.

ocdan said:
Mine were in the plastic wrap, but didnt have the seal stickies on the edges...
i dont think any Wii games have the stickies. when i picked up my Wii at target, none of the games in the Wii section had security stickers nor did my copy of zelda that i got a GameCrazy (they dont open the games and take out the discs unless its the stores demo copy which if thats the last one, they sell for $5 cheaper with a free disc buff)

All the Cube games I get from EB are empty boxes stacked on the wall. When you take it to the counter they take our discs from disc sleeves in a drawer, and stick them in the case. I didn't realise there was any other way.

Maybe that's just Australia.

Well in Game(uk) you pick up an empty box off the shelf, take it to the counter and they get the CD and Manual out of the drawers behind them, they're all brand new etc it just, as has been mentioned, stops people stealing them and doing a runner. I've never seen a games shop that does this differently, HMV may be different but I don't buy games from there.

Gamestop only does it when the games were traded in and theowners didnt give back the case:crazy:

Most of the stores near me (halifax, ns, canada) only do that with used games.
For new, they keep an open box on the shelves, you can either bring it to the counter or just go to the counter and ask for it, then they open a locked display case behind them (making their shelves kinda pointless, as you could just look and see what they have, but anyway) and grab you a sealed copy.
The other stores up here that sell games, a lot of them anyway, they are in one of those security cases like CD's and lots of DVD's have and you just grab 'em and bring 'em to the cash. Mind you, it's Canada and we're more laid back and overweight so it's less likely somebody would make a mad dash for it. Though I've considered it more times than I'd like to admit. Maybe a few more months of Wii Boxing and I'll be up to it.

Back