Why does "Everybody Votes" require mixed mode?

lagrangian

WiiChat Member
Mar 23, 2007
I have a Linksys WRT54G router. Everything's been working fine with the Wii. Then we finally got rid of our last piece of 802.11b equipment in the house, so I changed the router's setting from "Mixed mode" to "G-only".

Once I did that, "Everybody Votes" stopped working. Whenever I run it, it says it failed to connect with a 051330 error. But everything else is fine. "Test connection" reports success. I can use the Internet Channel to browse. I can shop with Wii Shop. News and Forecast have current data. And when I send an email, it shows up at the destination. Only EV fails.

And when I change the router back to "Mixed mode", EV starts working again.

Huh??

He doesn't want people with old tech and cantennas stealing his wireless I guess.

I might be wrong but some routers disable some features if they are running in mixed mode. And why not run in pure G mode if you can?

you dont really need everyone votes channel neway, unless u really like it

(1) Yes, EV is silly, but I still like it.
(2) Get better speeds with G-only.
(3) Technical curiousity -- how can the router setting possibly matter to EV, when the Wii has otherwise fullly-functional connectivity with the router in G-only mode. What is EV doing?

You'd think the Wii would provide the underlying connection so EV shouldn't be able to create an issue on it's own. Can you browse the shop channel?

mym6 said:
Can you browse the shop channel?

Yes, I can. With the router in G-only mode, literally every aspect of Wii connectivity works except for EV.

I understand why you want to set your entire network to G-only mode because I've read those security articles too. However, if all of your hardware is 802.11g, then it all likely supports WPA-PSK (at least with TKIP), correct? If that's the case, then you don't really need to worry about someone with a high-gain antenna (using B or G) breaking into your network since the encryption takes so long to defeat provided you have a strong (read: long) key.

Back