Why does everyone hate on Red Steel?

mk_south_london

!SUPERMOD! *blu mushroom*
Jan 3, 2007
uk
Wii Online Code
7195-7874-4951-1917
The search button brings up like 600 results so ill just make this post:yesnod:

Personally, i think that Red Steel is the best game on the wii so far.
Apart from the annoying cursor skip that happens occasionally, its a 10/10 game dont u think?
The storyline is long and effective, there are a wide range of guns that u can unlock and use...
The graphics are amazing, and so are the controls....

Yet i see reviews giving this game 3/10's, i have not seen anything over a 6/10 (even nintendos magazine gave this a fairly low score).

SO having said all that i would like to know what made this game a no no for you people, because i am quite surprised.

p.s If you have a link to an already existing thread of the same subject...please post!

Your right. I think the same thing. Of all the games I've rented for Wii so far, RedSteel kept me coming back for more unlike many others that lasted my 2-3 days until I got bored. The graphics are amazing, the sword fighting gets you up and active, plus the multiplayer isn't bad. Nice thread! You made me open my eyes.

The graphics are decent, not amazing (though I don't care much about that). Considering how much potential the Wiimote has to be one of the best FPS control systems ever, the controls on Red Steel fell far short of what they should. The pointer glitch is inexcusable, and the controls themselves work, but aren't tight. The story didn't suck, but it was predictable. The swordplay was nice to have, but it wasn't implemented in a way that could knock your socks off. If Red Steel were on anything except the Wii, it wouldn't be worth a dime. Playing it with the wiimote is what makes it fun.

And it is a fun game. I've enjoyed playing it. But it doesn't deserve ratings better than what it got (IGN UK gave it 7.something). Basically, somebody had to go first--and everyone else got to learn from their mistakes. I imagine Red Steel 2 will improve on every weakness of the original. The franchise has potential.

Most gamers should ignore ratings, because they can't really discern what they mean, and they can't always understand the nature of the broad comparative nature of the ratings. Nothing gets rated in a vacuum. If you can find a reviewer that cares about what you care about, read them. Otherwise, watch the gameplay videos, ignore everyone else and make your own call. Acknowledging manifest flaws is not the same as saying a game isn't worth playing. If every game got a top ranking, rankings would mean nothing. Not acknowledging flaws is begging developers to keep making mistakes.

I rented it, and after bringing it back to the store I really wanted to buy it, But then I waited too long and I picked up re4 for 30 bucks and it seemed like a pretty solid deal, and at the time I was thinking shooting games are shooting games but they are very distinctively different and great in their own way. When redsteel drops down in price I'll pick it up for sure.

mk_south_london said:
The search button brings up like 600 results so ill just make this post:yesnod:

Personally, i think that Red Steel is the best game on the wii so far.
Apart from the annoying cursor skip that happens occasionally, its a 10/10 game dont u think?
The storyline is long and effective, there are a wide range of guns that u can unlock and use...
The graphics are amazing, and so are the controls....

Yet i see reviews giving this game 3/10's, i have not seen anything over a 6/10 (even nintendos magazine gave this a fairly low score).

SO having said all that i would like to know what made this game a no no for you people, because i am quite surprised.

p.s If you have a link to an already existing thread of the same subject...please post!

The graphics are nowhere near amazing, but that's not the point, the game was one of those "it had potential, but..." it just didn't strike the fancy of a lot of people. I don't have anything against it, I just had an annoying experience with the game (the "cursor skip") so I don't care to play it anymore. (Plus strikers is pretty damn addictive) As for the controls, they're ok, I do not like the way you have to point at the edge of the screen to turn, tis annoying IMO. I agree it is underrated, but I wouldn't give it more than a 6.5 on any scale, could have been a lot better had they put more effort into it.

Not another "Why do people hate Red Steel" thread. There's a ton of these threads. Although I personally love Red Steel too, I feel there's no need to make a post about it.

COLDshiver said:
Not another "Why do people hate Red Steel" thread. There's a ton of these threads. Although I personally love Red Steel too, I feel there's no need to make a post about it.
Yeah, I thought there was another too. Its ok though, as long as he got feedback it was worth opening this thread. And the older ones were when re4 wasn't released and was only a few games out at the time..So opinions change after all these other similar games came out

Red Steel for me was good when I was playing it but now however many months after I stoped playing it doesn't seem to be as good. It is a decent game and I think it deserves a bit more than it got from reviewers but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a perfect game or that it was the best on the Wii, its good but not great

COLDshiver said:

mk_south_london said:
The search button brings up like 600 results so ill just make this post

if u cannot read i suggest u just dont post at all.

(On Topic)= Thanks for the replies, i too hope that Red Steel 2 fixes that annoying cursor skip, but alot of u do not seem convinced with the graphics, i would be very interested to see what matches your expectations in a future game.

I forgot to mention about the weak sword fighting system, and yes i hate it too.

If any one has got any details on red steel 2 then i would appreciate links :wink:

mk_south_london said:
The search button brings up like 600 results so ill just make this post
If there are already 600 results, then why bother adding to it?

----

deity_link said:
Red Steel for me was good when I was playing it but now however many months after I stoped playing it doesn't seem to be as good. It is a decent game and I think it deserves a bit more than it got from reviewers but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a perfect game or that it was the best on the Wii, its good but not great

Same here, it's just that once you beat the singleplayer, there's nothing but multiplayer. The only problem i have with the multiplayer is that there are so few maps and no online mode, so less replayability and becomes more bland. I do play with friends a few times a week still.

It was the 2nd most hyped Wii launch title. It turned out to be one of the worst.

Absolutely horrible. I hate it so much. The controlls suck, the multiplayer is bad, the gameplay is alright, and the graphics are redicicously bad (the fixed pictures they were showing for months didn't help either).

It's just crap, what other shooters have you played?

I actually really enjoyed Red Steel. It had a nice long story decent graphics ,and the sword fighting was a nice change of pace. I always found myself getting up for those ,and getting into it. Occassionaly when i have people over we play the multiplayer on it, but i'd have to say thats where its really weak. I can understand it not having online since it wasn't avaliable yet ,but the options should of been beefed up. Theres not enough match types to chose from.

hmm i thought red steel was alright, the graphics were quite good, an the multiplayer is ok but very limited, such as no bots an only a few levels, but i thought the sword fighting was shocking, i don't think it could have been worse...the lack of blood (although understandable being the only launch fps so being available to a wider age group) and at least being able to finish your opponent off without looking like u just pushed him over rather than slicing him with a samurai sword, was greatly missed i thought...the best thing about it was simply using the wiimote to shoot, and because it was a launch title we hadn't experienced this so it was very nice to use it

if it were to come out now then i think people would dislike it even more, with resi evil out an controlling lovely, and metroid coming out an looking like it controls very well...pointing the cursor at the edge of the screen was quite annoying, but the analog stick was needed to side-step, so i guess they had to make do with that for then

i'm sure red steel 2 an future fps games will control a lot better!

Back