Why is america cheaper than Europe?

daviduk200 said:
whats funny about that joke lol.
You know, underhanded occupation, somehow has a dental plan for their incidious henchmen...

also yeah i think i get it but i also dont,
i mean our min wage at 18 is around £5ish ($10) so we get payed more so they expect us to pay more for our stuff,
Makes sense though doesn't it? (Well, in a way). It's basically a case of the more you earn = the more you pay. Not sure about what kind of proportion it's in though....

but all this dental and health insurance and taxes make no sense to me.
why cant it just be simple
We basically have an NHS. Means that anybody that is on benefits or is unemployed or in full time education (in essence, people without a job), can get healthcare for free (within reason).

The American system, as far as I can tell, benefits only the workers. If you don't work (or can't work), and have not paid into the "pot", then you get no care (or rather substandard care, there is free surgeries dotted around the country, but those are mostly overstrained and reliant upon socially sympathetic doctors).

Last edited:
Helpfull Repped +1, but iv repped you to recently so it wont let me, for now.

but, my plan is to, earn loads of money here sell my (my mums) house and get all the money turn it into dollars then ill have approx 2million dollars,
then i can move to america, and have more money to spend on cheaper stuff

Squall said:
The American system, as far as I can tell, benefits only the workers. If you don't work (or can't work), and have not paid into the "pot", then you get no care (or rather substandard care, there is free surgeries dotted around the country, but those are mostly overstrained and reliant upon socially sympathetic doctors).

Nah, if in the Emergency room and no insurance, the good ol' gov't picks up the tab.

It's not only the workers, as many companies are slowing down health insurance. If you don't work for arbitrary reasons, you live off of people's taxes. If you can't, you still have to find a way to pay for it. You do not get substandard care most of the time though.

ANYWAYYSSS

The console thing.

Japan = NTSC. America = NTSC

The US and Jap are the big money-makers in the electronics market. The PAL regions are an afterthought (and the wii/DS sales charts prove where the money comes from). PAL also must be translated into many more lanugages and different screen resolution, that's why games and consoles always release afterward, and tend to cost more.

The majority if the price hike is imports/exports and the taxes on them.

And when the US has a lower value dollar than the UK pound.... The us would have a HIGHER number than the UK...

Hasn't anyone taken economics?

daviduk200 said:
Helpfull Repped +1, but iv repped you to recently so it wont let me, for now.

but, my plan is to, earn loads of money here sell my (my mums) house and get all the money turn it into dollars then ill have approx 2million dollars,
then i can move to america, and have more money to spend on cheaper stuff
Lol. That would work (if you sold your mother's house, though I wouldn't advise it).

Why 2 million dollars? Surely you'd need a heck of a lot work to get that much (considering living costs and all)...

Heck, you'd be able to fund a low-budget movie on that!

lol well my house is valued at £450,000, thats $900,000,
and i would have to sell all my pal stuff (dvd's, game's, consoles's)
and id have to sell all my electronics, as different power n america and i couldnt be bothered with all the plug things. which adds to about another £50,000, so another $100,000,

so thats $1 million, but yeah wel i wont save up £500,000 on work that would take me at least 7 years lol.

ill just work for one year and live of that.

daviduk200 said:
lol well my house is valued at £450,000, thats $900,000,
and i would have to sell all my pal stuff (dvd's, game's, consoles's)
and id have to sell all my electronics, as different power n america and i couldnt be bothered with all the plug things. which adds to about another £50,000, so another $100,000,
£50,000 in electronics and PAL stuff? Either you're a professional horder or are over speculating what you'd get for most electronics. Most electronics, you can sell for around half the price of new. Heck, even vintage things like the NES and such wouldn't be worth that much! (in fact, I've yet to see the NES actually accumulate in price: Still too many functioning ones around (blast Nintendo and their consoles that always seem to work).

so thats $1 million, but yeah wel i wont save up £500,000 on work that would take me at least 7 years lol.
Is that based on the average house price being 7X the annual wage? (for the local area).

ill just work for one year and live of that.
To be fair, I doubt you could live off it for that long. The cost of living, even in wealthy countries, for the lower-classes or the lower-middle classes is so far up, it's why there's so many people taking out credit cards and getting into debt (heck, all the debt consolidation adverts are targetted at the middle-classes (people who own their own homes and such)).

Brawny said:
yeah, pretty sure you're gonna end up in the streets lol. Things don't QUITE work that way.
Isn't that countering the "American dream"? "The land of opportunity" and such? Or is that just basically an advert of "come to America"?

Last edited:
aww why not

well my wages suck (£3.83 PH) but even at £5 Ph it wud take ages,

yeah im exadurating my electronics value lol, but i do have approx 1000 dvd's and games, but well a max of 10,000 for my electronics, oh and cars so say another 10,000 so $40,000 dollars.

so is $940,000 not alot in america, could i not just buy a small flat and live of the left overs for quite a few years, (and get a small part time job for little extras)

Last edited:
Stay in the UK and learn proper spelling and punctuation...

Electronics are one of the only things that the US gets cheaper than the UK..... Besides our own natural resources, like oil (yeah, we actually make some of it ourselves) and agricultural products. (food :p)

Cost of living WELL is probably about the same as the UK, and you have to factor in driving a LOT more, as trains are bereft in the States, besides subways in large cities.

I'm not sure why Europe pays more than the US, but I know that you can blame inflation for the rising prices of just about everything.

Its the same reason why US gas used to be less than a dollar per gallon and is now over three dollars per gallon. Inflation. Meh, thats also supply and demand but w/e.

that is not inflation, as most other products are about the same...relatively.

Ever heard of....CHINA? lol, they're using oil like crazy.

Also... inflation is simply how much money is in circulation. It's not like every producer decides to raise prices... it just means there's more bills printed than destroyed.

^Yes, I know the 'proper' definition. It is the process of decreasing the true value of a single dollar bill.

Gas was not a good example...:scared:

Back