Why Japan is so much better than America

Joe

Banned
Oct 23, 2006
Parker CO
Wii Online Code
5856-5939-3035-0479
This guy went to Japan to compare the to the US...and heres what he has to say:

In America we’re all so proud that we’re such a tolerant society. We tolerate each other’s differences because that tolerance is passed on to us and we get to do whatever we want.

Japan is different. More than tolerance, they have an overwhelming underlying respect for everyone and everything. It’s almost crazy. The best example is the subways. In the subways there are advertisements hanging from the ceiling of every subway car. They aren’t plastic, tyvek, or even laminated paper. They’re just paper like a poster.

Any one of the thousands of train riders each day could easily rip the ad, crinkle the paper, or pull it down. It would take a trivial amount of effort, and there are no authorities in the subway. Yet no one does. Ever. It’s the craziest thing I’d ever seen. In New York these ads would last for about 4 seconds before they were torn down.

In Japan there is no tipping anywhere, and tax is always included. Did you order something that cost 1000 yen? Then you pay 1000 yen and leave. It’s that easy. We went to only one restaurant that had tipping and it was 10% that was added automatically. That might have been an outrage if we didn’t have a chef cooking at our table for the entire meal.

Think the service suffered? Nope! The service is WAY better than any service I’ve had in the US because they’re helpful and genuinely care if you’re having a good dining experience or not. They’re not putting a fake smile on their faces while they tolerate you like our waiters. Even better, there are little buttons at the tables sometimes which summon a waiter. Once we pressed it and we had a waiter at our table in 10 seconds, with another coming 10 seconds later to see if he could help. Amazing.

Even the police in Japan are better. Since there is basically NO CRIME, they don’t have a lot of crimefighting to do. Japan is so safe that people leave their bikes everywhere unlocked with their belongings in the baskets. People don’t even litter - who is going to take a bike? I would feel totally safe leaving my laptop on the sidewalk for an hour while I walked somewhere. It would be there when I got back.

The last day we were there, Todd and I wanted to make sure that we knew where the Narita Express train was to the airport so that we could go check out the Imperial Palace and then go straight to the train. We asked the police where the train was and they showed us. We then left the station to check out the palace.

A block later a policeman stopped us. He had been following us and trying to catch up. What was the offense? None - he just wanted to make sure that we knew where the train was. That would NEVER happen in the US. Even though we were ugly Americans he still had the respect to come help us when he thought we needed it.

Remember my post about cell phone etiquette? Everyone in Japan already does all that. Other than our when our guide, a beautiful girl dressed in a traditional Japanese kimono who walked around with us all day for free, was trying to find out from her friends which restaurant was best, I don’t think we ever saw anyone talking on their phones in public. It just doesn’t happen.

Everyone in Japan is skinny and healthy looking. Their food isn’t particularly healthy, but the portions are small and everyone walks miles each day to and from train stations. As soon as we got back to the US we were amazed at how fat and obnoxious everyone was. Now I finally understand why people don’t like Americans.

The subway system, by the way, is totally amazing. It’s a hodgepodge of several privately owned rail lines that criss cross to cover the entire country. I’m pretty sure that you can get within walking distance of anything in a remotely metropolitan area for a few dollars from anywhere by train. Even though they’re owned by different companies, it’s seamless. Each station has the same features and lets you transfer painlessly.

I myself am planning to move to Japan...or at least VISIT IT EVERY YEAR!
The gaming industry is also HUGE in Japan....and arcades...well yeah they're still growing strong...and in America they're basically DEAD! I could list thousand of things that are awsome in Japan...but what are your guys opinions...and can you think of anything about whats better about Japan than America??? Or at the very least ARE YOU INTERESTED IN JAPAN???

Last edited:
I myself am not Japanese, or anything close. Yet I am constantly amazed at their culture and general ways of life. Still a student, but its definitely on my list of future vacation spots.
I was not surprised in the least by that guys experience.

Yeah you're probably right, Japan is better than the U.S., but since I don't speak Japanese I don't think i'm gonna move there. And besides, I couldn't leave all of my family and friends behind.

Well what Id do is just take visits to America....see friends and family....but I dont speak Japanese but this summer Im going to study it A LOT

Joe said:
Well what Id do is just take visits to America....see friends and family....but I dont speak Japanese but this summer Im going to study it A LOT

Yeah but wouldn't it be kinda hard to get a job? I think i'd rather just take vacation there. Or mabye if i'm rich buy a vacation home there and visit a few times a year.

Japan sounds really cool. And I am jealous of its gaming market. However, I don't wish to move there. Living in the US is awesome. The US can crush Japan if it felt like it with a superior military. Not only that, but the US isn't totally dependent on other nations for minerals (except oil).

The main difference between the Japanese and the Americans is that the former are collectivists while the latter are individualists. Obviously each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

When it comes down to it, whether Japan or the US is better is opinion, based on your feelings. The Japanese I believe eat a lot of seafood, and that doesn't suit me. Oh, and aren't the Japanese notoriously rasict to blacks?

Homogeneity

Probably spelled wrong and dint feel like looking it up cultures like japan are peaceful thoughtful etc due to the homogeneous nature of the population. Study any culture and the crime and social issues starts when races and cultures begin to meld bend and clash together. Look at America and look at how England and Canada are shaping out.

I would feel totally safe leaving my laptop on the sidewalk for an hour while I walked somewhere. It would be there when I got back.

OK im calling Bullshit!! on that one :rolleyes:

they have an overwhelming underlying respect for everyone and everything

Pearl Harbour Dude, not a lot of respect was shown there :eek:ut:

who is going to take a bike?

Have you seen their Bikes ?, they are old crappy decrepid things that yeh i agree who would steal that. :eek:ut:

As soon as we got back to the US we were amazed at how fat and obnoxious everyone was.

I havent even been to America and i know that :cornut:

I could go on but im bored already :zzz:

AussieWii said:
Pearl Harbour Dude, not a lot of respect was shown there :eek:ut:

They actually are very respectful, besides Pearl Harbor is a different story, they did it because of war, that doesn't mean they didn't respect the people they were killing.

I think America is better for the following reasons:

- Japan doesn't have something called diversity. A lot of people happen to like diversity and I'm one of them so America delivers.

- We may have a higher crime rate, but our suicide rate isn't as bad as Japan's. I wonder why.

- There's more room in America being a bigger country. It's easier to get a good house, and there's just a lot of places to go to.

I think Japan sounds awesome though, it's just I think I'll go with America.

Last edited:
Japan all the way
Just for some of the kawie girls
The tv is better
The game shops are like heaven for retro freaks like me
The arcades arnt full of crap
Proper training dojos (proper Samurais as well)

Only prob is its a bit full of people

I like the Japaneses people because of the respect they give others. In America if you drop your wallet on the street then chances are you will get it stolen. In japan, they will most likely return it to you (however its not always this way). I'm just sick of the way most Americans treat other people. kids get picked on and beat up everyday in every school across the country no matter the age. Now I'm not saying this doesn't happen in japan but im willing to bet is a whole lot less frequent. I would like to learn Japanese and maybe live their but i still love the USA. 1 more thing. Japanese girls are way hotter than American girls lol

Back