why online?

lionman

WiiChat Member
Nov 29, 2006
:idea: ok i am going to ask a very simple question as a Dad who has the wii all waiting for the kids to tear inbto on Xmas day. Why do you have to link to the internet....ok I understand the options that this opens up but at the start of use do you really need to seek updates to firmware etc or can you just use it staright away 'out of the box'....basically I do not want to end up in a situation where (as it seems others are having afew problems) we end up with an expensive piece of kit that cannot be used over the festive season......advice appreciated :smilewinkgrin:

Well...you need the internet to update the firmware so that you can get SD card support (i think that was one of the issues), and also soon they'll release the Weather Forecast Channel (which your kids might not have much use for)

but honestly the only thing the Wii is good for online right now is the Miis!! exchanging friend codes with people so you can get their Mii's

this baby will work straight outta the box though, no worries. just plug it into your wall, your TV, put your sensor bar in a nice location either under or over your TV, pop in a game and youre ready to play.

VERY very simple, won't get much easier than the Wii, especially not with the PS3 or XBox360

You have some lucky kids, good gaming to you and yours ^_^

-SpideyKonfusion :D

furter advice??

SpideyKonfusion said:
Well...you need the internet to update the firmware so that you can get SD card support (i think that was one of the issues), and also soon they'll release the Weather Forecast Channel (which your kids might not have much use for)

but honestly the only thing the Wii is good for online right now is the Miis!! exchanging friend codes with people so you can get their Mii's

this baby will work straight outta the box though, no worries. just plug it into your wall, your TV, put your sensor bar in a nice location either under or over your TV, pop in a game and youre ready to play.

VERY very simple, won't get much easier than the Wii, especially not with the PS3 or XBox360

You have some lucky kids, good gaming to you and yours ^_^

-SpideyKonfusion :D

What SD support will be required....i know about rh firmware issues etc but not sure about the SD side of things....doesnt the SD card just act as a saving device for games

oh sorry.......spidey..thanks for your advice earlier.......much apprecaited

yup, you are correct there sir. SD Card support is only for saving game saves or games you get in the virtual channel (if you run out of space on your wii i suppose)

so like i said, you're good with just playing the Wii out of the box, but having it connected to the internet is something you should get done sometime to reap the full benefits of it later on (when Nintendo starts working their online skills)

glad to be of some assistance sir, just make sure not to double post, edit your replies instead ;)

-SpideyKonfusion ^_^"

hi spidey

point taken.........only fif it as i wasnt sure which thread to put it in...lol

the only reason i am a bit anxious about the link up is that I am in UK and use Orange/Wanadoo which is not easy for setting up the router..had probs with the DS (although think we now know the way round it). Will be seting it up but did not want to rush healong into it yet. Cant see us using the internet for download games but just wasnt sure if i needed to sort out any firmware updates for the hardware as soon as we got going particularly as i had read other threads where they had had probs since doing so...so if you have any words of wisdom please do share......xmas's are stressful enuf without spending all day on the floor trying to make the wii talk to me...LOL

yeah you can basically let our kids open it, set it up to plug n tele, then sync the wii remotes to your wii (shown in manual) then insert game and choose the game channel and your ready to play (you may want to go through wii settings to configure a few options e.g. screen size can be set to wide screen, you choose whether sensor bar is above/below T.V it needs to know.) but other from that its a pick up and play system :p

Back