Why the change to AAC?

bubs said:
ummmm you don't HAVE to download the update for photo channel... it even says it in the Nintendo message, and you can even DELETE the update if you have downloaded it and decide you want to use .MP3

Bingo.

strommsarnac said:
My point is that I shouldn't have to. I paid for MP3 support and now they are taking that etc...

You actually saw MP3 playing thing as a feature for the wii and you thought: THATS why Im gettin my wii?

Dubb's Wii said:
How hard is it to convert your MP3 files to AAC. LOL. Seriously, you can even do it using itunes. The sound quality is way better too. Not rocket science.:rolleyes:

well considering i have approximately 2000 cds ripped to mp3, id say it would be a very time consuming.:p AAC and MP3 are pretty much the same quality.

Last edited:
You can select a whole batch and convert them right? Just leave your pc on for a few months

strommsarnac said:
AAC playback is not free. It's licensed and royalties have to be paid to Apple. So I have to ask, what is Nintendo getting from Apple for doing this?

AAC was not created by or owned by Apple.

No license fees are required to implement AAC playback, but fees are required for MP3. This is most likely why the switch was made.

Last edited:
cyberzomby said:
You actually saw MP3 playing thing as a feature for the wii and you thought: THATS why Im gettin my wii?
Have you been such a nerdledink ALL of your life, or is it a recent development? :confused:

Of course MP3 playback was not the major reason why people bought the Wii. MP3 playback, photo display, web browsing, gamecube backward compatibility, Wii gen gaming, Virtual Console, price, built-in wifi, and motion sensing controls were just some of the reasons.

Only a simpleton would even think that someone bought the Wii primarily for its MP3 playback capabilities. But it is a capability nonetheless.

Different people place different emphasis on the different capabilities. MP3 playback is a nice feature and it would be a shame to lose it.

The most likely reason for the removal of MP3 playback is that MP3 is licensed royalty-bearing technology and AAC is not. It would not surprise me that when Nintendo negotiated MP3 support, it was based on a certain number of units... which has probably far exceeded their projections.

Jay588 said:
too bad wii can only output mono, making the conversion pointless anyway:tard:

Ummm, yeah. Wii supports Stereo :tard:
Seriously, who the Hell uses there Wii for music...LOL. I have a home surround sound system and a few ipods for that:ihih:

Last edited:
sracer said:
Have you been such a nerdledink ALL of your life, or is it a recent development? :confused:
Judgemental aren't you?

sracer said:
Of course MP3 playback was not the major reason why people bought the Wii. MP3 playback, photo display, web browsing, gamecube backward compatibility, Wii gen gaming, Virtual Console, price, built-in wifi, and motion sensing controls were just some of the reasons.

Only a simpleton would even think that someone bought the Wii primarily for its MP3 playback capabilities. But it is a capability nonetheless.
Well, I guess that means you think I'm a simpleton then cause I DID take MP3 playback into consideration for buying the Wii. It's simple actually. I don't have a MP3 player, I don't want to sit a PC by my TV 24/7/365, I didn't have a 360 at the time and didn't expect to want one at all. I wasn't sure I wanted a Wii even but when I heard I could also use it to play MP3s, that was the final piece.

I guess since you think it's ok to be so judgemental about others you don't know anything about I could do the same and say about you...

"What, you didn't want the Wii for anything but playing games designed around 20 year old concepts which everyone else grew out of by the time they were 10? Anyone this day and age who doesn't purchase multifunction consoles is stuck in the 90's and much not be technically experienced enough to handle a single device being able to play the most common digital format (MP3s), view home pictures, etc."

Now, that's not really what I think or feel. I just thought I'd give you a taste of how your words could be easily taken.

Regardless of WHY I bought the Wii, if I want the new features of the Photo Channel, I have to give up a feature I paid for. The MP3 licensing running out theory is BS, my console's fee has already been paid. That fee is for life for the device. It can't be taken away.

Oddly enough, there must have been enought backlash from others too as Nintendo is now allowing us to revert back to the old version. I wonder how long it'll be before they allow us to get the other new features without losing MP3 format.

strommsarnac said:

Judgemental aren't you?

Well, I guess that means you think I'm a simpleton then cause I DID take MP3 playback into consideration for buying the Wii. It's simple actually. I don't have a MP3 player, I don't want to sit a PC by my TV 24/7/365, I didn't have a 360 at the time and didn't expect to want one at all. I wasn't sure I wanted a Wii even but when I heard I could also use it to play MP3s, that was the final piece.

I guess since you think it's ok to be so judgemental about others you don't know anything about I could do the same and say about you...

"What, you didn't want the Wii for anything but playing games designed around 20 year old concepts which everyone else grew out of by the time they were 10? Anyone this day and age who doesn't purchase multifunction consoles is stuck in the 90's and much not be technically experienced enough to handle a single device being able to play the most common digital format (MP3s), view home pictures, etc."

Now, that's not really what I think or feel. I just thought I'd give you a taste of how your words could be easily taken.

Regardless of WHY I bought the Wii, if I want the new features of the Photo Channel, I have to give up a feature I paid for. The MP3 licensing running out theory is BS, my console's fee has already been paid. That fee is for life for the device. It can't be taken away.

Oddly enough, there must have been enought backlash from others too as Nintendo is now allowing us to revert back to the old version. I wonder how long it'll be before they allow us to get the other new features without losing MP3 format.

Not to be rude either, but where have you been in the last 5 years, almost everything supports MP3 playback. If you own a computer, you will probably have plenty of MP3 files. I then imagine you have a DVD player (MP3 playpack), maybe a CD player (should have MP3 playback if it's from the last 5 years).

Do you actually put MP3 files on a SD card and listen to them through your Wii? My guess is no.

PS. Please format your quotes, I had trouble reading most of your post.

Last edited:
sracer said:

Why thank you nedrledink.

Too bad the internet isnt very much suited for SARCASM!

You call me a SIMPLETON but you THINK that I THOUGHT you bought it solely for that reason. Well sir, isnt that a bit SIMPLE as well?

When I typed up that post I thought, I bet hes going to mis my point..... and look what you did

Thank you strommsarnac for the help. +1 rep for you

Last edited:
largedarry said:
Not to be rude either, but where have you been in the last 5 years, almost everything supports MP3 playback. If you own a computer, you will probably have plenty of MP3 files. I then imagine you have a DVD player (MP3 playpack), maybe a CD player (should have MP3 playback if it's from the last 5 years).

Do you actually put MP3 files on a SD card and listen to them through your Wii? My guess is no.

PS. Please format your quotes, I had trouble reading most of your post.

Hmm, the "quoting" didn't work when I cut his post into parts.

Anyways, your guess is wrong. If you look back at my posts about this MP3-AAC crap you'll easily see that in fact I DO use my Wii for playing MP3s. Even my sarcastic post about being a simpleton makes that very clear.

I haven't bought a component CD player or even portable since oh... maybe 1994. I really only play CD's in my car. I converted over to MP3 for my PC playback and when I bought a used 1st Gen Nano for $80 about 2 years ago.

My DVD players are 1. Toshiba/Onkyo Receiver/DVD unit from 1998 and recently Phillips DVP-642. The Toshiba plays factory CD's fine but doesn't support burned disks let alone MP3s. The 642 does have MP3 playback, even Divx/AVI, but it truncates the names at 12 characters.

Anyway, I'm serious about a major reason I bought the Wii was for MP3 playback. I'm sorry if some of you are so narrow minded to think that someone wouldn't.

What Nintendo could do with minial effort would be to create an actual Music Channel that would let you play MP3, AAC, etc. with playlists and whatnot (maybe even allow connections to various internet radio stations). They could charge a few bucks for it to cover whatever playback licenses were needed.

^ That's a good idea. I would like to see some internet radio stations and the ability to make music playlists as well.

Last edited:
Wii Music Radio...

As much as I'd love to see someting like that, I just don't think the Wii is made for handling that many music files and all the bandwidth it'd take for everyone to run music stations besides playing games etc....
Unless Nintendo has plans for an external hard drive or something... :confused:

Back