Why Wii Points?

Xanthous

Wii Will Rock You
Mar 14, 2007
Wisconsin
Wii Online Code
7285-9407-9284-4069
Considering the system Nintendo has set up for purchasing software through the Virtual Console (proprietary points rather than real currency) it seems Nintendo could find a variety of ways to give out these points.

First-party Nintendo titles have an activation code inside the game case that allows you to create an account on Nintendo.com and register that product to your account. This online account can then be linked to your Wii.

Why not reward players who take the time to register software (as Nintendo surely uses this valuable marketing info) by rewarding each registered title with Wii points?

This certainly wouldn't be unlike Nintendo. They used this same online registration system several years ago to reward gamers who registered three GameCube games with a free copy of LoZ: OoT and LoZ:MM game disc.

Nintendo wouldn't have to spend a cent to hand out these points to deserving gamers and it would certainly increase the number of people who take advantage of the Virtual Console (and in turn, lead to future VC sales).

Last edited:
they probably like points because they can scam odd amounts of money out of you. If I buy the minimum of $10 for a $6 game, then' I've got $4 in worthless points, requiring me to buy at least another $10 of points. Then I buy 2 more $6 games and have $2 left over still. So add another $10 and then I have $12, so 2 more games and I've then spent $30 when all I wanted to spend was $6.

Well hey it's better than a monthly fee lol.... With the points, nintendo can't over charge or under charge you.. Well they aren't giving them away, so life sucks lol...... but your idea is nice, because you would have to spend 50 bucks on a game or whatever to get some free points

You realize you don't need a card to buy these points, you can use a credit card to buy the points right off the VC. And if Nintendo just gave out these points they would not make any money. They do offer special things for registering products on their site. They have 3 issues of Nintendo power for certain points, extend your Wii warranty for 3 months if you register your wii. I am sure in time they might offer things for the Wii VC but it might take some time to come out.

The conversion of these games to an online downloading system, and setting up the Wii have a wireless connection, the Wii being dead cheap in the first place, the internet channel is free for now, the everybody votes channel is free, many of these channels and more to come will remain free. I don't see why everybody moans even though they aren’t that expensive, you clearly have no idea of the cost and effort to make these games so available to us!

Just chill out, if you don't want to buy them don't buy them, however I do agree with the fact that you can buy points through with credit card, why can't you buy the actual game directly.

They should make it so if you buy a related game you can download the old version for free.

Example:
Purchase: SuperSmash Bros Brawl
Free: Super Smash Bros 64

Back