Widescreen 16:9 won't work for me

fb7894

WiiChat Member
Nov 8, 2007
Hi everybody. I just cannot figure out how to get my Wii to display in widescreen. I've tried everything I can think of. I even bought a composite cable thinking that might be the problem.

I've changed the screen setting to "widescreen" but it does not seem to make a difference. My Wii goes into my Harmon Kardon AVR receiver (along with my DirectTV and DVD player). Everything displays in widescreen EXCEPT my WII.

Any suggestions?

Plug your Wii directly into the tv. What happens? Does it work?

Yes, I thought of that too. It still displays in 4:3. Which tells me that the wii is not properly displaying 16:9.

Sure your tv is 16:9 and not 4:3 letterbox?

That's the only thing I can think of....and I believe you meant COMPONENT. :thumbsup:

Brawny said:
Sure your tv is 16:9 and not 4:3 letterbox?

That's the only thing I can think of....and I believe you meant COMPONENT. :thumbsup:

Yes, my tv is a sony lcd widescreen projection. I can't believe I'm the only person that has this problem. I tried searching the internet and could not find anything.

Yes, I meant component. My bad.

I have a very similar except I don't do purposely don't do widescreen (I paid for 62 I want all 62). If I get a chance I'll try switching to widescreen. Besides that, everything plays properly in normal mode?

Hmmmmmmm

Want to give the exact model number? As the only lcd in a "projection" TV is a front projector....

What inputs are there? So you still have black bars?

Brawny said:
Hmmmmmmm

Want to give the exact model number? As the only lcd in a "projection" TV is a front projector....

What inputs are there? So you still have black bars?
Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand WEGA LCD Projection Television with Integrated HDTV Tuner

Yes, I have black bars on either side of the screen.

PapaL said:
I have a very similar except I don't do purposely don't do widescreen (I paid for 62 I want all 62). If I get a chance I'll try switching to widescreen. Besides that, everything plays properly in normal mode?

I feel like when playing two-player sports (like boxing), I really need the widescreen.

Hit the 'Wide" button on the sony remote - set it to Full. I believe that's the button - it's a video setting on the TV.

fb7894 said:
Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand WEGA LCD Projection Television with Integrated HDTV Tuner

Yes, I have black bars on either side of the screen.

I'm using the same model line (50" version), I get full widescreen no problem - I can check out some setttings and confirm modes on the set and Wii and get back to you (I'm also on component cables). I can check sports (the packin), Zelda, MP8 and Paper Mario too (some of those don't have "native" 16:9)

~DT

[DT] said:
I can check out some setttings and confirm modes on the set and Wii and get back to you (I'm also on component cables). I can check sports (the packin), Zelda, MP8 and Paper Mario too (some of those don't have "native" 16:9)

~DT
That'd be great thanks.

Back