Widescreen 16:9 won't work for me

OK, testing this for you right now - I'll just keep editing *this* post as I check settings, output format, etc.

OK, as I mentioned before this is a 50WE655 Sony connected to the Wii via [generic] component cables.

Wii Settings:

Screen Format 16:9
Output Spec 480P (EDTV)

[edit 1]

MP8 is a 4:3 game so on Normal I've got the expected sidebars, but can switch over to Full (flattened but no cropping - this is regular widescreen mode for 16:9 games and movies), Zoom (correct aspect but severely top/bottom cropped, and Wide Zoom which is about 10% cropped but pretty nice.

[edit 2]

Wii Menu crops at Normal (since it's forcing 4:3) and looks perfect at Full (which is the set's native widescreen mode).

[edit 3]

OK, checking out Zelda (which has a native 16:9 format)

Normal (TV 4:3 format), it has black bars and as a little tall and thin (like forcing a 16:9 movie into 4:3), at Normal (TV native wide/16:9 format) it looks perfect.

[edit 4]

Also under the Sony TV menu, the 3rd item down for Screen, there are settings to tell the set the default handling for Wide and 4:3 signals - ours is set for Full and Normal respectively.

That's all I've got!! Hope it helps.

Last edited:
[DT] said:
Also under the Sony TV menu, the 3rd item down for Screen, there are settings to tell the set the default handling for Wide and 4:3 signals - ours is set for Full and Normal respectively.

Well, I think that's it. When I set my Sony tv to "Full" mode, the wii now displays in widescreen. But all it is, is a stretched version of the 4:3. I think I see what is going on. When I select "Widescreen" on the wii, it shrinks the graphics so that when I change my tv to "Full" the shrunken graphics are enlarged to regular size. This is definitely not a true widescreen. But I'm just happy I got it working. Thanks to everybody for helping me out.

I'm having the exact same problem. There's a definite difference in the size of the icons and images when I have the Wii set at 16:9 instead of 4:3, but I don't feel like I see any more or less of the screen. For both settings I get black bars on each side of the screen, and the only way to fill the screen is to stretch it out. So I'm doing exactly what the others are doing: setting the Wii to 16:9, then stretching the image to fill the screen.

That's not true widescreen. Is anyone actually getting TRUE widescreen, where they see more in the game than they would had they been using a 4:3 set? I'm not, and it bums me out. There's a HUGE difference for cable TV and my Xbox 360. You get to see more.

adamfletch said:
That's not true widescreen.
You got it. When you switch to 16:9 mode on the Wii, it shrinks the images so that when you stretch your screen on your tv, the images are back to normal size.
I'm fine with it now that I know how it works. I just wish Nintendo made it a little easier to figure it out. The owner's manual did not help at all.

I just got a Wii yesterday. I have a Sony 55" KDS-A2000. I set everything up for widescreen, but the wii is only displaying in 4:3 instead of 16:9. I have tried going through the receiver (onkyo 705) and directly to the tv. I will try some other stuff tonight.

Everything can be displayed widescreen, but the GAMES have to take advantage of it. Zelda comes to mind. You DO see more than the GC version.

Brawny said:
Hmmmmmmm

Want to give the exact model number? As the only lcd in a "projection" TV is a front projector....

What inputs are there? So you still have black bars?

You used 4 periods in an ellipse!

Your first post? I'm sensing a dupe account?

And I'm glad you brought it up, as maybe it's a shred of hope that people are becoming more aware of posts. (Not just mine).

Yodwinder said:
You used 4 periods in an ellipse!
That's correct. An Ellipsis is three dots, and if it ends a sentence, you add the punctuation that would conclude the sentence. In this case, a period.

I had to set my Toshiba HDTV from Native to Full to get rid of the black bars on the screen.

I realize I am digging up a semi-old thread here but I have a similar issue. I just bought a Sony Bravia (KDL-40S4100) and hooked the Wii up to it directly with component cables. I changed my Wii settings to 16:9 widescreen and EDTV/HDTV 480p. The TV recognizes the signal as 480p, but the Wii defaults to 4:3 (black bars on the sides) unless I change the 4:3 default on the TV to "Full". Then it changes to what I believe is true 16:9, not just a stretched 4:3 picture. The problem is that changing the 4:3 default on the TV causes my DVD player and standard def channels to be stretched, which I don't really want. When the TV's 4:3 default is on "Normal" they are not stretched, but the Wii is sort of squished.

Why is the Wii not automatically shown in widescreen format? I have that selected as its format, so why do I have to "force" it by changing the TV setting and messing up other devices' aspect ratios? I'd prefer to simply set my TV, DVD, and Wii preferences and leave them alone, not change them based on what I am watching.

TV's can't auto-switch or detect widescreen/4:3 signals using Component because there are no spare wires to carry the signal in a Component cable.

If you want the Wii/TV combination to auto-switch, you'll have to use a RGB Scart cable (if you are in the UK).

hencam[uk];1014952 said:
TV's can't auto-switch or detect widescreen/4:3 signals using Component because there are no spare wires to carry the signal in a Component cable.

If you want the Wii/TV combination to auto-switch, you'll have to use a RGB Scart cable (if you are in the UK).

I am in the US, but thanks for explaining the reasoning. As long as I know I set it up properly, I can deal with switching the aspect ratio as needed. I'll just leave it on Full screen for now since I use the Wii more often than the DVD player or SD channels.

Strange. All my settings are the same, and everything displays widescreen as it should. I'm curious though... my TV allows for a input by input setting. Meaning I can set the one the 360 is connected to, to normal, the Wii input to wide, or whatever etc...

My friend has a 60" Sony Bravia, and I'm 99% sure his is the same, it allows for adjustment to each individual input, and remembers the settings until changed.

Are you connecting all of your components directly to the TV? Or maybe connecting them to a surround receiver, and running a single output from it to only one input on the TV? I just can't imagine it not having individual settings for each source.

Are you connecting all of your components directly to the TV? Or maybe connecting them to a surround receiver, and running a single output from it to only one input on the TV? I just can't imagine it not having individual settings for each source.

Components are all connected directly to the TV (Wii, DVD, HD DVR). I, too, thought I could adjust and save the Settings input by input but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the 40" model is lacking that feature to keep the cost down a bit more.

Back