Widescreen 16:9 won't work for me

Wow! This guy signed up just to say that!

I was going to ignore it but since someone else mentioned it, at least he's right. When a sentence or sentence fragment ends in an ellipse, the ellipse takes the place of the period. It's not used in addition to the period.

Carry on...

I realize I am digging up a semi-old thread here but I have a similar issue. I just bought a Sony Bravia (KDL-40S4100) and hooked the Wii up to it directly with component cables. I changed my Wii settings to 16:9 widescreen and EDTV/HDTV 480p. The TV recognizes the signal as 480p, but the Wii defaults to 4:3 (black bars on the sides) unless I change the 4:3 default on the TV to "Full". Then it changes to what I believe is true 16:9, not just a stretched 4:3 picture. The problem is that changing the 4:3 default on the TV causes my DVD player and standard def channels to be stretched, which I don't really want. When the TV's 4:3 default is on "Normal" they are not stretched, but the Wii is sort of squished.

Why is the Wii not automatically shown in widescreen format? I have that selected as its format, so why do I have to "force" it by changing the TV setting and messing up other devices' aspect ratios? I'd prefer to simply set my TV, DVD, and Wii preferences and leave them alone, not change them based on what I am watching.

You have to set the Wii to 'Full' on that TV in order for it to display in 16:9. Weird I know.
I think your remote has a button that toggles between Full and Wide so it shouldn't be a big issue.

hal2814 said:
I was going to ignore it but since someone else mentioned it, at least he's right. When a sentence or sentence fragment ends in an ellipse, the ellipse takes the place of the period. It's not used in addition to the period.

ummm... Oookaaaay.....................

hey guys.. i have a 16" dell studio XPS laptop.... at times i am nt able to use my tv ... can u tell me hw can i connect my wii to laptop in that case.... i have a HDMI port as well in my laptop... waitin eagerly for ur respnse.... i think i need to change the AV multi out wire...

hey guys.. i have a 16" dell studio XPS laptop.... at times i am nt able to use my tv ... can u tell me hw can i connect my wii to laptop in that case.... i have a HDMI port as well in my laptop... waitin eagerly for ur respnse.... i think i need to change the AV multi out wire...

How the hell do you deserve an XPS studio when you can't even tell the difference between input and output?

...Anyway, perhaps there's an express card video recording device that has component or composite in, maybe S-vid.

Laptops weren't ever really built for inputting.

Last edited:
Your HDMI port is likely an output port. I'm not aware of any XPS that has HDMI input right out of the box. Other than a USB TV card (which will introduce noticeable lag), I don't think there is a way to get your Wii running on your laptop screen.

pardon me for my noob qns...i reli cant c e difference in e screen display even when im using widescreen lcd tv and changin e setting to 16:9

pardon me for my noob qns...i reli cant c e difference in e screen display even when im using widescreen lcd tv and changin e setting to 16:9

Uhm... (ellipsis) Are you a noob with the typing skills of a cat?

hencam[uk];1017243 said:
Can you say that again in English?

Uhm... (ellipsis) Are you a noob with the typing skills of a cat?

As I have mention, I did not see any changes in the screen resoultion after changing the settings from 4:3 to 16:9. Is it so difficult to understand my short forms?

actually, yeah. it took me longer to read it, than if you'd just typed it in English. :)

I just bought a switch a couple of days ago because I only have one component input on my TV and I wanted to keep my cable box connected to it plus the wii. I had the same issue, that the image wouldn't show up as widescreen even though i picked the 16:9 and 480p settings. I even tried hooking it up to the tv and i had the same issue. The only way around it is to change the setting on the TV itself to widescreen to get it to show up properly.

I find this really annoying. I dont see why I should have to take an extra step for the image to show up in 16:9.

GameStop Wii HD Premium Component Cable

802520b.jpg

Or The Normal

Nintendo - Component Video Cable for Nintendo Wii

8168234_sb.jpg

$34.99

Last edited:
there is no ddifference in digital cables unless they are long (as in 6+ft)

Back