Widgets suck

spacegravity4me

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2006
I'm sorry, but this is my disappointment of the day! When I heard "Widget View MODE" I was thinking it would be some new way to view the web on the wii with all our personalized widgets right there, you know, something special. But this, this just sucks! Great, I can open the browser and go to the page and open a calendar or a calculator! BIG DEAL! I still have to go and open it from the web site! That DOES NOT constitute a M O D E! This is crap and I'm pissed and disappointed!

What? I've not heard of this "Widget Mode"

it's in the latest update. i don't have a link to it but google it and you should be able to find a press release.

I just posted this in a thread that i had asked the same question of because i had heard of the widget view mode and didnt know what it was either.

"The Nintendo Wii also embraces Web content and applications in a revolutionary new way with the debut of Widget View Mode in the Internet Channel. By surfing to widgets.opera.com users can browse Opera’s collection of community-built, Opera-tested Web applications immediately ready to run on the Nintendo Wii Internet Channel.

Widgets available now include calendars, news readers, Internet radios and other fun applications. Users of Opera’s desktop browser will immediately recognize their favorite widgets on this new platform. Web developers can publish widgets on Opera’s website to make them available to Wii users. For more information on creating widgets, please visit widgets.opera.com"

From http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewtopic&s=wii&topic=2630

crazyman2 said:
I just posted this in a thread that i had asked the same question of because i had heard of the widget view mode and didnt know what it was either.

"The Nintendo Wii also embraces Web content and applications in a revolutionary new way with the debut of Widget View Mode in the Internet Channel. By surfing to widgets.opera.com users can browse Opera’s collection of community-built, Opera-tested Web applications immediately ready to run on the Nintendo Wii Internet Channel.

Widgets available now include calendars, news readers, Internet radios and other fun applications. Users of Opera’s desktop browser will immediately recognize their favorite widgets on this new platform. Web developers can publish widgets on Opera’s website to make them available to Wii users. For more information on creating widgets, please visit widgets.opera.com"

From http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewtopic&s=wii&topic=2630
I believe they are talking about web pages can be specifically optimized for the Wii, and not a direct option you as the user can play with unless the web site supports them. A lot of today's special web effects use web widgets, so it's just a matter of time before sites become Wii optimized. :)

-EDIT-
Okay, I may be wrong on this and could be possible add-ons and not compatibility with site development widgets. I will play with this tomorrow on the Wii and see what I can come up with. My bad.

Last edited:
This just means that theres a page that showcases every application users have made for the opera web browser. And these now work on the wii. Big deal....:( Its not like we "gain" anything from it

A calendar, a calculator etc etc

spacegravity4me said:
I'm sorry, but this is my disappointment of the day! When I heard "Widget View MODE" I was thinking it would be some new way to view the web on the wii with all our personalized widgets right there, you know, something special. But this, this just sucks! Great, I can open the browser and go to the page and open a calendar or a calculator! BIG DEAL! I still have to go and open it from the web site! That DOES NOT constitute a M O D E! This is crap and I'm pissed and disappointed!

Once you download more widgets they <i>will</i> be there. Chill out. Why would a new mode consist of a calculator and a calendar?

Okay, finally got around to testing this...

First, THEY ARE web widgets, and the link http://widgets.opera.com/ will ONLY show the Internet Channel compatible widgets when using the Internet Channel only. These widgets can be added to personal pages for your usage, and are NOT actually installed onto your Wii.

(Note: Using a typical PC browser that is not spoofing the Wii's version of the Opera browser will load a different set!)

Here is a link to the list of features...
http://www.opera.com/products/devices/nintendo/wii/features/

Sorry for the delay however this was least on my priority list, and I attempt to keep my word.

Thanks.

So do you have to have your own webpage now to add them to?
or like can u make one from the opera page?

crazyman2 said:
So do you have to have your own webpage now to add them to?
or like can u make one from the opera page?
Seems so yes, however I've not attempted much beyond simply looking and testing them on the Wii. However the "demos" was loading from the Opera page directly therefore gave me this impression.

The original poster of this topic addressed that they was supposed to be there and spoke of them as unavailable, and my objective was to simply see if there was such option since the last update. Seems there is a bit of interest in this subject so tomorrow I will actually try to present something more useful other than "they work". :lol:

Back