[WiFi] Broadcomm wifi card

WizKid

Raving Rabbit
Nov 13, 2006
Opelika, AL
Hi. I'm going to be getting a Wii soon, but I'm perplexed about one thing: I have a wired router, and it would be nice if I didn't have to buy a USB ethernet adapter.

After looking at this page, I have come to the conclusion that it is very likely that it is possible to replace the Mitsumi Wi-Fi card with a Mini-PCI ethernet card.

Notice the ugly-looking card in figure 16. How disgusting! It looks like as if somebody poured grey goop over the mini-pci card!!!

After all, if it needed to be returned to Nitendo for repair and/or replacement, I would just put the (ugly) Mitsumi mini-PCI card back in place of the ethernet card before sending it back.

Also, why would the processor need a heat sink? I thought the 750CX processor produced so little heat that one would be unnecessary.

Last edited:
WizKid said:
Hi. I'm going to be getting a Wii soon, but I'm perplexed about one thing: I have a wired router, and it would be nice if I didn't have to buy a USB ethernet adapter.

After looking at this page, I have come to the conclusion that it is very likely that it is possible to replace the BroadCom Wi-Fi card with a Mini-PCI ethernet card.

Notice the ugly-looking card in figure 16. How disgusting! It looks like as if somebody pouring grey goop over the mini-pci card!!!

You will void all Warrenties if you attempt this. Plus I don't think it will work as what ever you replace it would require drivers to be installed - I don't think you can do this in the Wii.

Haz said:
You will void all Warrenties if you attempt this.

As long as I but the WiFi card back in before sending it back to Nitendo (if it ever needed to be repaired and/or replaced), and did it nicely, and, with latex gloves and an antistatic wrist strap on, I assume they would be fine with it. After all, if the wiring was a little different afterwards, they would just assume it was shipping.

Haz said:
Plus I don't think it will work as what ever you replace it would require drivers to be installed - I don't think you can do this in the Wii.

Well, If you called Nitendo up and asked what OS it runs, and talked to one of the (English speaking) engineers, I'm sure you could get it to work.

After all, 802.11x is just wireless ethernet.

Last edited:
WizKid said:
As long as I but the WiFi card back in before sending it back to Nitendo (if it ever needed to be repaired and/or replaced), and did it nicely, and, with latex gloves and an antistatic wrist strap on, I assume they would be fine with it. After all, if the wiring was a little different afterwards, they would just assume it was shipping.

Well, If you called Nitendo up and asked what OS it runs, and talked to one of the (English speaking) engineers, I'm sure you could get it to work.

After all, 802.11x is just wireless ethernet.
A: If you so much as unscrew the case, they mind.
B: There is no possible way to get a Nintendo engineer on the phone
C: While 802.11x is wireless ethernet, the networks are handled completely different. Think about it: with wired ethernet, the only network it is possible to connect to is the one you are plugged into. However, with wireless, you could have a network, your neighbors could have a network, there could be a public network in range... and the software has to sort them out.
D: You would need drivers that don't exist for Wii (It uses a proprietary OS, there isn't another one like it anywhere, and you could never get it to run on a PC, it would be just like instlling an older version of Mac OS (pre-intel) onto a PC.

If you were a programming god and had months of free time, you could possibly do it (without a warantee), but that's highly unlikely.

It won't work.

registerednerd said:
A: If you so much as unscrew the case, they mind.
B: There is no possible way to get a Nintendo engineer on the phone
C: While 802.11x is wireless ethernet, the networks are handled completely different. Think about it: with wired ethernet, the only network it is possible to connect to is the one you are plugged into. However, with wireless, you could have a network, your neighbors could have a network, there could be a public network in range... and the software has to sort them out.
D: You would need drivers that don't exist for Wii (It uses a proprietary OS, there isn't another one like it anywhere, and you could never get it to run on a PC, it would be just like instlling an older version of Mac OS (pre-intel) onto a PC.

If you were a programming god and had months of free time, you could possibly do it (without a warantee), but that's highly unlikely.

It won't work.

Thanks. Then I'll just buy a USB LAN adapter. ;)

Back