wifi USB not working for me

johnny_rocket2210

WiiChat Member
Dec 20, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I just got my new wii and love it but I would really love to download some of the old games from the wii shopping channel. I bought the wifi USB connector and I cant get it to work. any suggestions?

johnny_rocket2210 said:
I just got my new wii and love it but I would really love to download some of the old games from the wii shopping channel. I bought the wifi USB connector and I cant get it to work. any suggestions?

Why do you need to use a USB wifi? Your WII comes with build in wifi.

johnny_rocket2210 said:

Did you plug the USB dongle into your computer and have it running to use the Wii online?

did you install the software if any that came with the usb wifi ? how old is your computer some new usb devices require usb2.0 i think thats the number not sure need to check on that..have you tried putting it in another usb port? also check to see if all usb ports are enabled go to start , then control panel, then administrative tools , and computer management and then click on device manager , and on the bottom of the list is universal serial bus controller click on the little positive and should show all your usb ports right click on each one and go to properties and look to see if the port is enabled if its not enabled enable it and try it out. hold up you mean a usb wifi for your pc right not the wii as someone has stated wii already has a built in wifi..?

Last edited:
OMG you put the dongle in the wii didnt you.......... ffs :wtf: the wii has built in wifi you put the usb connector in you computer and install drivers then the wii sees you cpu as a router and connects if you set it up right and dont have a wireless router in which case you wouldnt need the usb connector also you need broadband so if you have got dialup or isdn it wont work

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSBpurchase.jsp

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/connectingOnline.jsp

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/connectingOnline.jsp?entryId=usbInstall

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSB.jsp

Troubleshooting Wired Routers
The Wii LAN Adapter is required to connect the Wii console to a wired router. The Wii LAN Adapter will be available the first week of January, 2007. Non-Nintendo LAN Adapters are not compatible with the Wii console. You can still connect with the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, or by purchasing a wireless router.

After installing the software, my computer freezes and I constantly have to reboot, I did a search on google, but all I could find was a few people who encountered the same problem, but couldn't find a solution.

I'm just glad I finally figured out why my computer was being so crappy.

if you put it in your wii then that was the mistake you did, if you put it in your PC then i have no idea and it's best to contact nintendo

Also remember that having an active firewall (yes Windows one too) the Wifi dongle won't work for you. im sorry to also say that the imfamous Zone Alarm is the worst against Nintendo. you have to completely shut it down in order for it to act on impulse. i didnt know that and was trying to configure this for 18 hours:mad2: . finally i managed to figure it out and this is the only real problem i faced. problem now being that ive just moved house and so i cant have the internet until january! WHY..WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?:(

You must disable all firewalls, then enable sharing internet connecting with your default active connection, If it still fails then you must enable internet sharing with the device, If the device isn't detectable as a network connection in Network Connections in Control Panel, uninstall the device and reinstall it.

I've used both a WI-FI max and a WIFI connecter

-----IF YOU HAVE A ROUTER-------
Give your self a Static ip on your computer(To see how to do this on your router go to the manufacturers website)

Then enable DMZ for your computer on the router(see manufacturers website)

Wiiplay88 said:
Also remember that having an active firewall (yes Windows one too) the Wifi dongle won't work for you. im sorry to also say that the imfamous Zone Alarm is the worst against Nintendo. you have to completely shut it down in order for it to act on impulse. i didnt know that and was trying to configure this for 18 hours:mad2: . finally i managed to figure it out and this is the only real problem i faced. problem now being that ive just moved house and so i cant have the internet until january! WHY..WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?:(
i have my zone alarm running and wifi workng 100% or you need to do is config it right..... when i get home onto my pc i give images/walkthrougth for zone alarm with wifi adpter

Back