Wii 1080p with the help of sony

tomqman

The Evil Of Nintendo
Nov 29, 2006
U.K.
Wii Online Code
0430-9009-6263-5525
Sony and Nintendo team up to bring you 1080p on the Wii. Through the amazing upscaling power of the STR-DA5200ES and the beauty of the Bravia 1080p XBRs, you too can enjoy 1080p on the Nintendo Wii.
IMGP0698.JPG

IMGP0703.JPG

IMGP0704.JPG

IMGP0707.JPG

IMGP0709.JPG

IMGP0710.JPG

IMGP0714.JPG

news from http://www.freewebs.com/wii1080p/

This is exactly what I've been thinking of sense I first plugged the Wii into my 60" (and finally removed).

People always say upscaling does nothing but weather it's false image or not the quality will be upgraded. I'd like to get some comparisons of 480p and 1080p Zelda on that same tv. Not that it matters as my tv only hits 720p/1080i and I'd never blow that kind of money. If you're that desprete for HD you may as well just go with the real thing.

I do have one of those hd-dvd dvd-hd upscalers though and it looks great. Doesn't compare to full HD but there improovement from 420p is pretty great.
____

If a much cheaper Wii-specific upscaler comes out then I'd probobly jump on it. Pretty sure they have atleast 1 for the PS2.

Am I the only one who thinks displaying wii games in 1080p would make them look like garbage? I mean the wii's graphical shortcomings are due simply to definition/clarity. The clearer the picture the more pixelated it looks.

And a little FYI. Wii games are only developed in 480p. So no that picture is still 480p. It is just a nice tv.

Last edited:
vagrant said:
Am I the only one who thinks displaying wii games in 1080p would make them look like garbage? I mean the wii's graphical shortcomings are due simply to definition/clarity. The clearer the picture the more pixelated it looks.

And a little FYI. Wii games are only developed in 480p. So no that picture is still 480p. It is just a nice tv.

He is using an upscaler, which in most cases is capible of supplying built in anti-aliasing on it's own behalf. If you have ever used an emulator try to think of it as some of them being able to give anti-aliasing to blatently old games that should never look that good.

SadistBlue said:
He is using an upscaler, which in most cases is capible of supplying built in anti-aliasing on it's own behalf. If you have ever used an emulator try to think of it as some of them being able to give anti-aliasing to blatently old games that should never look that good.

couldnt put it better myself and its so true.

SadistBlue said:

I understand the concept. But it's not like these are games designed for 720p being downscaled for the Wii. They are developed in 480p.

And my friend actually has an upscaler so I am going to try it out asap. But as you can see from the comments on everyother forum that has that story it is pretty collectively agreed that it is pointless and expensive.

When it gets upscaled to 1080p (from 480p), each pixel gets divided into approximately 8 pieces. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't fully understand this concept. With all this new definition and clarity, surely the graphics will get all pixelated. To make it look half decent you would have to anti-alias everything. This is blurring every thing again, undoing all the clarity. I can't see much improvement at all.

Umm... Well, I'll admit it looks clear, but isn't it kinda pointless considering that all Wii games and menus and all that are just 480p?
So wouldn't 1080p just--
Well, not do anything?

Wiily Good said:
When it gets upscaled to 1080p (from 480p), each pixel gets divided into approximately 8 pieces. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't fully understand this concept. With all this new definition and clarity, surely the graphics will get all pixelated. To make it look half decent you would have to anti-alias everything. This is blurring every thing again, undoing all the clarity. I can't see much improvement at all.

Yes exactly my point. To smooth out the edges it just reblurs the edges as you can see in the one screenshot.

Back