Wii 480P (with component cables) + Resident Evil 4 Wii

dpolishsen

WiiChat Member
Sep 23, 2007
I got a new HDTV today and hooked up my PS3 and Wii to it. The PS3 of course with HDMI for 1080P. I bought component cables for the Wii since I heard they make a dramatic difference when using those instead of the standard cables (480i vs. 480p). I went into the Wii System settings and changed it from SDTV to EDTV/HDTV. Also set it to widescreen. I popped in RE4 (Wii Edition) and OMG is this game ugly on my HDTV. Now am I missing something or is it supposed to look this bad? I tried some other games and they don't look that bad (though no good either). Please let me know I missed a setting somewhere!

It's a 55" TV and I sit about 12 feet away from it. Quick question - my TV has progressive scan (which apparently some Wii games have and make the games look better). If a TV has progressive scan, does it need to be turned on the TV or is it always on the TV automatically?

Plasma, LCD and DLP sets are fixed resolution (you'll see it documented as optimal or native sometimes). So everything is scaled up/down and run through a deinterlacer for P sets.

If it's a 1080P display, everything displayed is 1080P(rogressive) so you should be set!

~DT

Back