Wii + A/V Switch Box

Sleepie

WiiChat Member
Jul 31, 2007
So I just got a Wii yesterday (yay!), plugged it into my switch box and everything was great. Then today, I went and got a 4-way A/V switch instead of the 2-way I was using before (both are from Radio Shack) and now comes the problem..

I have to keep the switches for the DVD AND the Wii pushed down at the same time to get any response out of the Wii.

I have my A/V switch set up as TV output, DVD as input 1, Wii as input 2, PS2 as input 3, with empty input 4. It doesn't matter what I have in input 1 or if it's even turned on, but I have to keep input 1 and 2 pressed down together to get the Wii to show up. Putting the Wii as input 1 doesn't make a difference.. I also tried plugging the DVD & Wii back into the old 2-way switch box and just forget about the PS2, but now I have to keep both buttons down for the 2-way too D:

Does anyone have any idea wth went wrong? (And yes, the cables are in correctly).

edit: Looked into this a bit more, had no idea there were 3 different types of cables -- I'm using the ones that came with the Wii, which I believe are composite.

Last edited:
Perhaps the switch box is defective?

Try connecting the Wii to the first input instead of the DVD and see what happens.

I just tested the DVD in all four inputs and it works fine, also tried all 12 combinations of DVD/Wii input and it always needs both DVD and Wii down together to get the Wii going.

The good news is I messed around with those buttons so much if I push hard enough they'll both stay down together so at least I can play a bit. lol

i used to work at radioshack and the av switch boxes were one of the few things that worked there along with their gold series cables

ugh worst 2 years i ever spent back in the day :sick:

anyways, i honestly dont know what could be the problem if everything else works well. maybe try a different channel/switch block or something. thats the best advice i can give you if you say that everything else works well.....sorry i couldnt be of more service

IT is broken. sorry you need a new one. Give a big fuss at them and never go back

Still haven't figured this out (kicking myself repeatedly though for that "ooh let me just get a bigger switch box!" idea), but I appreciate the help :]

I took the 4-way back to Radio Shack today and told the guy my problem with it, he plugged in a bunch of DVD players and basically waved it in my face that it wasn't a problem with the switch box -_-

Could it possibly be a problem with the cable itself? D: Maybe I didn't turn something off before messing with the switch box and fried something? (Sorry if that's not even possible, I'm more of a computer geek than a home theater systems one.)

Sleepie said:
Still haven't figured this out (kicking myself repeatedly though for that "ooh let me just get a bigger switch box!" idea), but I appreciate the help :]

I took the 4-way back to Radio Shack today and told the guy my problem with it, he plugged in a bunch of DVD players and basically waved it in my face that it wasn't a problem with the switch box -_-

Could it possibly be a problem with the cable itself? D: Maybe I didn't turn something off before messing with the switch box and fried something? (Sorry if that's not even possible, I'm more of a computer geek than a home theater systems one.)

it might be when you pluge the wii in to the tv with out the swich does it work?
same with the dvd?
try all the combos

Back