Wii and component cables

yoi55

WiiChat Member
Mar 16, 2009
I just bought a Philips SGP9101/27 component cable set for the Wii/PS2/PS3/XBox360. I have them connected to both my Wii and PS2. The PS2 works fine, but the Wii's sound is VERY low (I can barely hear it, and yes, the TV's volume is turned up). I called Philips and they said there is an option in the Wii to select which audio output it uses. I cannot find this option...the only Audio option I see is to switch between Mono, Stereo and Surround. Is there such an option to let the Wii know to use the Component audio (which I didn't think really mattered since all Component upgrades is the video).

Here is a link to the cable set I bought:
Home: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=SGP9101/27&scy=US&slg=AEN&grp=PORTABLE_ENTERTAINMENT_GR&cat=PORTABLE_GAMING_CA&sct=PORTABLE_GAMING_SU
PDF: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/sgp9101_27/sgp9101_27_pss_aen.pdf

.the only Audio option I see is to switch between Mono, Stereo and Surround. Is there such an option to let the Wii know to use the Component audio (which I didn't think really mattered since all Component upgrades is the video).

Those are in fact the only audio options in the Wii. There should be no difference in audio between component and composite cables.

make sure the wii is set to stereo unless you have a surround reciever that is set on aurrown.

if you are using surround sound with stereo, or mono, and your system/reciever is set to something differen then you may not be getting the full signal out.

Keep in mind that most of these universal cables are meant to be hooked up to one console at a time (even though only one will be powered on at a time). You may be experiencing a volume drop simply because you have both consoles hooked up to the cable at the same time. Try unplugging it from the ps2 when you use the Wii and see if that makes any difference.

Keep in mind that most of these universal cables are meant to be hooked up to one console at a time (even though only one will be powered on at a time). You may be experiencing a volume drop simply because you have both consoles hooked up to the cable at the same time. Try unplugging it from the ps2 when you use the Wii and see if that makes any difference.

That was the problem! I unhooked the PS2 and the volume is back to normal! The cables said nothing about only hooking one system up at a time. Oh well, at least it works now. Thanks a lot for all of your help!

Back