Wii and DVD?

twilightx

WiiChat Member
Oct 30, 2007
Boston, MA
I know this topic has been covered a few times and on a few different forums, but the last I heard anything was from October 2006 projecting that a DVD version would be in the last half of 2007...now that we're less than two months away from Christmas, where is it? Is there any information about it? :yikes: agh the lack of information is killing me!

You could've bought a real DVD player that'd work better using the money you saved by returning your soda cans by now.

Don't hold your breath for the Wii to play DVDs.

I understand your point, but that's not in the cards for me.

I look at it from a convenience standpoint. Yes, I could've bought a DVD player, but I don't have the connections on my TV for more than one accessory. Well, do I want to make a $30 investment just to hook it up to an RF adapter or switch and have to deal with the sound/video degradation?

So then most would say I should get a new TV. Do I really want to buy a smaller TV just for the connections for more than double the cost (at least)?

I'll hold my breath if I knew it was coming. Price-wise, it makes sense on my budget. That's why I'm looking for info.

No word on the New DVD Wii's.
Personally, I don't see the need for them.
But I guess you do.

Look for new info next year, thats when we should hear more about it.

Why the assumption that there will be news? That someday, the Wii will play DVDs?

I just find it hard to be optimistic about such a huge (free?) upgrade from a company who views "Check Mii Out" and Wii Fit as things to rave about.

The Wii was never marketed as a DVD player. Although technically, it might be possible, I don't see Nintendo bothering. Would I like to be wrong? Sure. But I'm being realistic here. My car's hardware could do much more with a firmware upgrade but it's not going to happen either and I paid a lot more for my car than my Wii.

There was talk of a DVD-enabled Wii for Japan, but that's been pushed back until next year (if ever). And even if it does come out, it may be Japan-only (like the Gamecube that could play DVDs).

Here's the latest info from a few days ago:
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=19089
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/11/08/dvd-enabled-wii-on-the-backburner/

November 09, 2007 - Almost a year ago to the day, Nintendo announced a partnership with Sonic Solutions that'd see the company's CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator, a software-based DVD playback engine, power a new, DVD-enabled version of Wii, due for arrival in Japan during the second-half of 2007.

However, via a statement released in Japan, Nintendo has now announced that its plans have changed, and that such a device won't be released just yet.

Instead, and perhaps more logically, Nintendo said that it will be focusing its efforts on meeting global demand for the current version of the console, of which it's still struggling to manage, while the enhanced version will be available during 2008.

A Nintendo spokesperson said last year that there were "currently no plans to bring this model to Europe or the US."

Thanks Skippy, that was what I was looking for! Makes sense, though I thought I heard they contracted two more manufacturing plants to handle the holiday rush.

::sigh:: new TV it is then...

Back