Wii and network connection?

ylomnstr

WiiChat Member
Jan 31, 2007
Hey guys. First time posting. I just scored a Wii from sears.com and it shipped today. I should have it next week. I'm ordering the component cables from play-asia.com.

Do I need to buy anything seperate to connect to the internet with the Wii? Or can I just plug an ethernet cable right into it? I see everyone selling the LAN adapter. What's that for? Do I NEED that to connect online? Thanks.

Rob

So it's got a built in wireless adapter? But you need the lan adapter if you wanna go wired instead of wireless? That sounds backwards.

ylomnstr said:
So it's got a built in wireless adapter? But you need the lan adapter if you wanna go wired instead of wireless? That sounds backwards.

No, there is no adapter. Wireless is built in functionality. You only need an adapter if you want to use the Lan. Wireless > Wired.

If you have a wired router then you need the lan adapter that plugs into (I think) the USB port on your Wii, running to an ethernet port on your router. It's most likely that a $50 wireless router would make more sense than buying the lan adapter.
You don't NEED to connect to the internet but you will be missing out on updates, free stuff, network multi-play, and the ability to download classic games. If you have broadband access already then go for it. Nintendo makes it easy.

its smarter to go with wired because your not cometing with other stuff thats wireless wen i was doing my update at bestbuy (idont have high speed) i could only do the first on because my wii had to compet with ever computer and other wireless thin in the store

pinky said:
its smarter to go with wired because your not cometing with other stuff thats wireless wen i was doing my update at bestbuy (idont have high speed) i could only do the first on because my wii had to compet with ever computer and other wireless thin in the store

In your exact scenario, sure. But many wireless networks aren't set up by idiots, and you don't have to worry about interference.

Wired is becoming obsolete; I'd definitely not say it's the smarter option.

For home use wireless is the way to go for a device like this. Why have extra cords. Still can't beat the raw throughput of a wired network yet however.

pinky is partially right though, a wireless router shares the bandwidth between all wireless clients. So if you have an older 802.11b router, you're sharing 11mb/s between all clients connected wirelessly. The real world speeds off an 802.11b router is in the neighborhood of 5-6mb/s. Lets say you get 6mb/s and you have 6 wireless clients and they're all using the connection at the same time (unlikely, but plausible). That's only 1mb/s for each client and many people have quicker broadband than 1mb.

Back