Wii and Remote Desktopping

T-Osterone

Dude
Mar 5, 2007
Hampshire
To people who own a Wii.

Has anyone attempte to or managed to use thier Opera browser to access remote Linux machines or Windows machines? I've done a quick search in google but all the hits have been useless.

I don't own a Wii as yet and it would be good to know what the limitations are.

I live away from home during the week and wouldn't mind being able to administer my Ubuntu Linux machine using a Wii.

Well it will depend on what the interface you want to use is.
If it's a standard html webpage, which would most likely mean you are not getting a remote "desktop" but a config page, it should be no problem.
If you are thinking something like VNC or Windows built in "remote desktop", then I doubt it would work as the browser would need a plugin.

Browser Based Remote Desktop

Yup I'm pretty sure clients such as FreeNX and VNC would not install. I was thinking of going down the web browser route with LogMeIn or GoToMyPc type sites. I've looked at WorkSpot that uses JavaScript. Not sure if JRE comes with the Opera install
:frown2:

You can always turn your PC into a webserver and write a front-end page to access whatever you want, music/movies/etc., and just navigate to that page from your Wii.

Applications

I was thinking more down the lines of managing my torrents, running instant messanger, playing divx's, burning dvd's (with assistance from a gopher), running the CLI, programming and any thing else a Linux machine can do. :shifty:

You can control your PC Desktop if your PC is on with LogMeIn

I use it to close windows on my brother lol ALOT of fun when he doesn't know whats going on!

Wiili

What they're working on is interesting but doesn't address remotely managing a machine using the out of box setup. I take it no-ones attempted this. Fine I understand there are alternative ways to achieve some of what I've described, but a good yes or no answer would do, to the question of: Using Opera on Wii for Remote Desktop working.

Wii_Smurf you've used LogMeIn on your Wii? What else have you managed to do?

Last edited:
T-Osterone said:
Fine I understand there are alternative ways to achieve some of what I've described, but a good yes or no answer would do, to the question of: Using Opera on Wii for Remote Desktop working.

With something like this, I don't see how anyone could possibly expect a clear-cut "yes" or "no" answer at the moment. If the answer is no,

Here's a question addressed to anyone/everyone: What have you done to make such a setup possible so far?

Mark OTV, yes I agree with you. I would just like to have this open for exploration. It would be good to hear what wiiers have done and what is possible. Rather than this be dismissed outright.

T-Osterone said:
Wii_Smurf you've used LogMeIn on your Wii? What else have you managed to do?

All I've done is been able to Stream Music from my PC and play it on my Wii
[Also look at Movies, Photos and general docuements]
As long as the PC is on and Orb is running I can Stream some stuff
Heres Orb

And on LogMeIn I've only been able to Close windows and fool my brother though it says something about Transferring files and what not. Check it out and see....
LogMeIn

Back