wii and wireless internet

This Wiik

WiiChat Member
Apr 12, 2007
I have a cable connection and was wondering exactly how to hook my Wii up to the internet.

Do I buy a wireless router and it automatically works? If so, can you recommend a good one?

Thanks

It's not automatic, but YES, you should buy a wireless router. You should have bought a router (even just a wired one) before now. Otherwise, you're PC's are not secure (don't trust software firewalls).

Once you get the router configured (make sure to change the router's admin password, change the SSID, Don't broadcast the SSID, enable WPA (and assign a key), then you'll need to go into the Wii's settings and manually enter the router's SSID, set the Wii for WPA and enter the key. At that point the Wii will be able to SECURELY access the router and you'll have Internet. More importantly, no one else will be able to get to the net through your connection, do illegal things and let you take the blame.

it's also possible to buy a nintendo lan adapter if your internet connection is close to your wii/tv.

they cost about AUD$40. you can order them online or by calling nintendo ptyltd for your country.

owlsgo said:
it's also possible to buy a nintendo lan adapter if your internet connection is close to your wii/tv.

they cost about AUD$40. you can order them online or by calling nintendo ptyltd for your country.

In which case you'll need a wired router to go so you can use both your PC and your Wii on the net without having to unplug/move/plug a single cable.

If you don't have a wired router, you might as well buy a wireless (will have 4 wired ports) and skip the lan adapter.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

With a lot of good online games coming out this is definetly something I will be doing the near future. Also, I'd like to use V.C.

Thanks again.

Also, what router are you guys using and how much money should I expect to shell out?

You Should Buy A Wireless Router Because It Is A Lot Faster An Better I Paid 50 Bucks For Mine And I Can Set It Up Not Just My Wii My Psp To

a usb lan adapter would be alot easier and "would just work" but its not really useful compared to a wireless router because the router can be used for different things.

I have had very good luck with the Linksys Wireless G router. It's only like $50 now, and the Wii and DS both interact well with it.

Note, Wii can handle WPA (which is fairly secure) but the DS can't, it can only handle WEP, which is less secure, but better than nothing.

Using a Netgear wireless router here. Besides our Wii, we have two laptops, and a PSP, and DS using the router as well.

has55 said:
do i need to buy any thing to get to wii online except the wii

Follow the Nintendo.com link in the 4th post in this thread. It will tell you what you need to get your Wii online.

Like someone stated, buy a Linksys Wireless-G, cheaper than the DLink and it is great, I use it and it works like a charm with my Wii.

Back