Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wii and wireless internet

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by This Wiik, Oct 30, 2007.

1. This Wiik

This Wiik WiiChat Member

I have a cable connection and was wondering exactly how to hook my Wii up to the internet.

Do I buy a wireless router and it automatically works? If so, can you recommend a good one?

Thanks

2. strommsarnac

strommsarnac WiiChat Member

It's not automatic, but YES, you should buy a wireless router. You should have bought a router (even just a wired one) before now. Otherwise, you're PC's are not secure (don't trust software firewalls).

Once you get the router configured (make sure to change the router's admin password, change the SSID, Don't broadcast the SSID, enable WPA (and assign a key), then you'll need to go into the Wii's settings and manually enter the router's SSID, set the Wii for WPA and enter the key. At that point the Wii will be able to SECURELY access the router and you'll have Internet. More importantly, no one else will be able to get to the net through your connection, do illegal things and let you take the blame.

3. owlsgo

owlsgo czech me out.

Wii Friend Code: 2882-9149-7173-3516
    2882-9149-7173-3516
    it's also possible to buy a nintendo lan adapter if your internet connection is close to your wii/tv.

they cost about AUD$40. you can order them online or by calling nintendo ptyltd for your country.

4. Skippy

Skippy WiiChat Member

5. strommsarnac

In which case you'll need a wired router to go so you can use both your PC and your Wii on the net without having to unplug/move/plug a single cable.

If you don't have a wired router, you might as well buy a wireless (will have 4 wired ports) and skip the lan adapter.

6. This Wiik

This Wiik WiiChat Member

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

With a lot of good online games coming out this is definetly something I will be doing the near future. Also, I'd like to use V.C.

Thanks again.

7. This Wiik

This Wiik WiiChat Member

Also, what router are you guys using and how much money should I expect to shell out?

8. Ablaze

Ablaze WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 0920-9474-3654-3941
    0920-9474-3654-3941
    Around 100 bucks for a good D-Link.

9. wiimadden

wiimadden WiiChat Member

You Should Buy A Wireless Router Because It Is A Lot Faster An Better I Paid 50 Bucks For Mine And I Can Set It Up Not Just My Wii My Psp To

10. Bigred

Bigred Homework!

a usb lan adapter would be alot easier and "would just work" but its not really useful compared to a wireless router because the router can be used for different things.

11. has55

has55 WiiChat Member

do i need to buy any thing to get to wii online except the wii

12. TiwazTyrsfist

TiwazTyrsfist Dubito Ego Sum

I have had very good luck with the Linksys Wireless G router. It's only like $50 now, and the Wii and DS both interact well with it.

Note, Wii can handle WPA (which is fairly secure) but the DS can't, it can only handle WEP, which is less secure, but better than nothing.

13. laurie_lu

laurie_lu WiiChat Member

Using a Netgear wireless router here. Besides our Wii, we have two laptops, and a PSP, and DS using the router as well.

14. Skippy

Skippy WiiChat Member

Follow the Nintendo.com link in the 4th post in this thread. It will tell you what you need to get your Wii online.

15. Konoha

Konoha Return of the Hustle

Wii Friend Code: 4270-2894-0054-0060
    4270-2894-0054-0060
    Like someone stated, buy a Linksys Wireless-G, cheaper than the DLink and it is great, I use it and it works like a charm with my Wii.

16. RadNad

RadNad Get The Funk In The Car!

Linksys WRT54GS with SpeedBooster are really good, it does Wireless-G, Wireless-B, Wi-Fi and maybe some other things as well, they go up to 125m and cost around £30 here. I don't know the conversion but I'm guessing around $40-$50... somewhere around that price.

My friend kept on showing off about how his NetGear router goes up to 400m and a week later he said it sucks because it kept on timing out...

17. strommsarnac

Please, when you don't know what the heck you are talking about, don't say anything. You are misleading people who otherwise won't know better.

For the record: A wireless router is NOT faster than a wired router. In FACT, wireless networks are slower than wired. Only Wireless N is faster than wired, and that is only true when 1 or 2 devices are in use. Otherwise, WiFi is a wireless hub and therefore all devices share the total amount of bandwidth. Not to mention WiFi is never as fast as it's rating. So, Wireless-G, 52Mbps ends up being about 30Mbps at 20ft. With every wireless LAN, it's only about %60 the rated speed at 20-30 feet. So say you have 108Mbps wireless, you'll get 70Mbps. Now toss in that you have 2 devices so you divide the 70mbps in half (simplifying things here) such that each device only gets 35Mbps each. However, on a wired switched network, each device gets 100Mbps. Not to mention there's no interference from other wireless networks around your house/apartment.

Now that may all sound like Wifi is not a good idea, but one doesn't have to run wires or have them laying around. So I use a wifi router as an access point (much cheaper than buying a wifi access point) and a switch for all my wired devices.

18. This Wiik

This Wiik WiiChat Member

thanks again .. you guys are very helpful

19. bigmanrory

bigmanrory WiiChat Member

alri

alri

i hav a usb 2.0 a-b wire

i hav 1 side in my modem and the use part in the wii but i still cant connect 2 the internet

can some1 plz tell me how 2 do it its driven me mad:mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

#19 bigmanrory, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  20. Albert1234

Albert1234 WiiChat Member

Could you help ? I entered the SSID, and use WEP, but still cannot connect. Did you enter the SSID in ASCII or Hex? Also, where did you enable WPA/WEP and where can you find the Wii's MAC addr? Thanks.