Wii as a prototype console

Ridewithme38 said:
Haven't we heard information about this already happening? colored wii's, Wii's that play DVD's?

I don't think its a matter of IF more of when and will we NEED to upgrade to keep up...

Now about the whole Nintendo FanBoy thing I've loved nintendo ever since duckhunt and the and that olympic game with the powerpad! but I Also loved my atari(pong was friggin awesome!!) when it first came out but eventually if a company isn't giving you what you want you move on...
Oh gosh.... Colors that could be changed with skins... DVD playback that is uneccassary (and could be fixed with a mod-ship anyway)

All this invisable greatness! WE MUST BUY A WHOLE NEW CONSOLE OMFG

StevenNevets said:
Oh gosh.... Colors that could be changed with skins... DVD playback that is uneccassary (and could be fixed with a mod-ship anyway)

All this invisable greatness! WE MUST BUY A WHOLE NEW CONSOLE OMFG

Sorry buddy but your sarcasm is misplaced here....Colors change granted can be changed with skins and DVD playback may be hacked with a ModChip thats not the problem....

The problem is when a new version of anything comes out the old/outdated version loses its value and appeal VHS was all the rage until DVD showed up(Might not be the best example) How about when we went from Standard definition TV to High Definition TV...Which would you rather have if they're priced the same? And because most people would say HD that lowers the demand for SD TV therefore lowering the value and price

Soo by them coming out with a NEW model of the Wii the are making ours outdated and therefore lowering the value of what most of us have just bought...

hmm sorry if this doesn't make sense its almost 2am here and i've been trying to get my toddler to sleep for 5 hours!!

Guys trust me on this one, The DS was an experiment and look how well it has gone, nintendo totally took all production of the Gameboy which had a great success and focused all of it to the DS. As long as the wii sells well like it has done and is still doing so nintendo wont have a need to replace it with a new console. Besides the DVD version which no one really cares about.

I dont think its a prototype... I think most of its fixes are firmware updateble. Even the DVD player that everyone is whining about (Dont you guys own Stand Alone DVD players?) I think Nintendo approach to the DS was a wise one. I mean look at the phat DS.. its ugly and no where sleek its current competition, The PSP (which mind you, does come near the DS lite) They made it sleeker and way more brighter screen and downright sexy to play (either White, Pink or Black) But look at the Wii, I think Nintendo knows that if it was a prototype and sold a newer console they would be murdered in this market in which they barely got back into. They are doing good. Just enjoy the Wii and quit worrying about the future.

Yeah thats right the wii has been out for what 4 months if that long, its still a new console enjoy the damn thing lol

The idea of a prototype console has never been done before and is quite frankly absolutely crazy.

The Wii is a winner ... enough said.

The wii prototype was....

POWER GLOVE!

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYDuy7wM8Gk

The wii is not a prototype?! what the heck do you mean by that anyway?
Nintendo has nearly 5 million wii units in peoples homes in 4 months. Thats one hell of a market to exploit/make money from. Its taken years of devlopment to get the wii out on shelves. Its Nintendo's games console for this Generation - not a prototype for a new model for next year. The next Nintendo console will be out in 4-5 years.

Also the DS lite came about due to technology progressing and competition from PSP. The DS Lite rocks compared to the grey brick DS. Nintendo made a mistake with that one! The fact that it is the size of a brick doesn't bother me. Its the goddamn screen brightness that sucked with the old DS. - My old Sony ericcson t610 screen was brighter than the original DS. So there's no excuse for it, you can't play games in the sunlight...

Last edited:
The wii for right now will stay the way it is. Maybe in a couple years they will redesign it. Think of the PS2. But to say its a prototype is just pure garbage

Zarogan said:
I've seen in this forum several times ppl saying Wii is like a kind of prototype to see how the console should really be made (something like the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite) so I'm, kinda worried about it, cause it really pissed me off when I found out there was a DS Lite and now every accessory is made for it and not to fit in the actual DS, appart from the price drop the DS had when the Lite version came out, so I think it would be really annoying if Nintendo made us spend 250 bucks (447 in my case, I live in Chile) just to experiment and then release a new console that would cost us the same price again, or even higher.

I just would like to know how possible this could be, if any of you know =P

Thanks ^^

EDIT: If you think about it, it could be possible, because I think the Wii is really lacking in some aspects, and I don't mean graphics, but the absence of a hard-drive, those reboot-like loadings when you come out of a channel, that sort of delay for the wiimote and the feeling that you're not really connected to everyone else, as it is supposed to be. Luckily, most of these matters are fixable via updates, but with the Wii limited 512mb of internal memory I don't know how much they can improve this.
They should create something to make the SD cards more of an extension of the memory, you could be able to load saved games from it and play VC games stored on it too, it just feels like a backup of some kind, not a real memory extension, if you know what I mean.

lol, doesnt nintendo do that w/ all its handhelds? Gameboy/gameboypocket Gameboy color/hehe idk :p gameboy advance/gameboy SP/gameboy micro/ and now DS. i got stuck with a bulky, out of fashion DS and sold it =P

Back