Wii at Hotels/Campsites

zurukea

Billy Talent is awesomest
Jun 20, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
Hey, I'm at a campsite in a trailer with my laptop and a wii. When I connect to the network with my laptop it works fine, i go to internet explorer and it brings me to a page where i enter my code an then i an use the internet. I bought another code and when i tried to make a connection with my Wii it kept failng. How to I configure the Wii to use a access code. Please note that it it not a WEP password but the kind of code you use in a hotel. I realy want to know how to do so, cause I wan't to impresses my buddies.

zurukea said:
Hey, I'm at a campsite in a trailer with my laptop and a wii. When I connect to the network with my laptop it works fine, i go to internet explorer and it brings me to a page where i enter my code an then i an use the internet. I bought another code and when i tried to make a connection with my Wii it kept failng. How to I configure the Wii to use a access code. Please note that it it not a WEP password but the kind of code you use in a hotel. I realy want to know how to do so, cause I wan't to impresses my buddies.

I don't believe there is anything you can do. Same goes for the DS and PSP.

vagrant said:
I don't believe there is anything you can do. Same goes for the DS and PSP.
Precisely. If it's set up so that you pull up a page on your browser and enter a password, you're pretty much out of luck with connecting to it with a game console.

Wade said:
Precisely. If it's set up so that you pull up a page on your browser and enter a password, you're pretty much out of luck with connecting to it with a game console.
ya, its just like here in MV, Google gives a free wifi network, but you have to enter the passcode on a webpage, so it won't work. you could use a USB Connector from your laptop, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

ciper said:
Unplug Wii
Clone MAC of Wii to laptop
Connect to wireless and enter password
Change MAC on laptop back to default
Turn on Wii

Voila

Will that realyl work? You won't still have to enter the password on the Wii?

ciper said:
No if you do it fast enough.

how is he going to "change" the MAC on his laptop?

First of all the MAC is on his Network Interface Card not the laptop. Secondly, the MAC address for the NIC isn't changeable. It is imbedded by the manufacturer. Which is why part of the MAC address represents manufacturers.

vagrant said:
how is he going to "change" the MAC on his laptop?

First of all the MAC is on his Network Interface Card not the laptop. Secondly, the MAC address for the NIC isn't changeable. It is imbedded by the manufacturer. Which is why part of the MAC address represents manufacturers.
1. I assumed his wireless network card was integrated since the majority of them are today hence "change the MAC of your laptop" is the opposite of "changing the MAC of your Wii"
2. I can't believe you said the MAC isnt changeable. Not much I can say besides you are wrong. The MAC of the wired and wireless NIC on my laptop were fe-ed-fa-ce-de-ad-be-ef (feed face dead beef) for a LONG time

First Ill tell you the HARD way to change a MAC. My laptop was originally a Centrino with the 2200BG wireless. I wanted to use the newer 2915ABG. I took the keyboard off and replaced the old 2200BG with the 2915ABG. The bios did not have the cards Vendor ID or PCI ID in its whitelist. The laptop changed its boot logo to "Intel Mobile technology" and didn't recognize the card. This meant it didn't assign resources and I got the shitty code 10 in device manager (enumeration problem). The MAC was also stored in the eeprom and was changeable the same way.

Eventually after lots of reading I found out how to rewrite the eeprom on the card to change the device ID. I turned my card from an OEM IBM 2915ABG to a Dell supplied "retail" NIC. Now I get my fancy centrino logo on boot, the bios sees the card properly and it enumerates just fine in windows.

I shouldnt give much detail but its easy to fool most switches into sending another clients data which you can then record using a mac spoof. I used this to record VOIP calls on a Cisco 6513 with Nortal VOIP phones as a demonstration to the IT manager how insecure the network was.

In non Windows OS it is often a single line of text at the terminal to change the address. I had to do this every time I booted with OSX while helping to develop the Intel Wireless driver.

If you know the chipset of your NIC (wired or wireless) I can almost guarantee a Windows driver exists that allows you to type any hex address you want as the MAC. Even if you don't you can use a tool like this http://amac.paqtool.com/

Do not trust your certifications. Applied knowledge is more valuable.

Last edited:
What does MAC cloning have to do with anything? That is changing the MAC address on the router. We are talking about NICs.

You can still impress your buddies just by letting them play the Wii!!!!!!! Just surf the internet with your laptop.

ganton said:
I think that your major problem is that you are using internet explorer on a mac. wtf is wrounge with you use safari or at leastfire fox this will fix the problem

Ok now you are just being a firefox fanboy to be a fanboy.

What does the browser have to do with his problem?

ganton said:
I think that your major problem is that you are using internet explorer on a mac. wtf is wrounge with you use safari or at leastfire fox this will fix the problem
Where did you get the idea he was using a Mac? He never said that.

Back