Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii at Hotels/Campsites

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by zurukea, Jul 10, 2007.

1. zurukea

zurukea Billy Talent is awesomest

Hey, I'm at a campsite in a trailer with my laptop and a wii. When I connect to the network with my laptop it works fine, i go to internet explorer and it brings me to a page where i enter my code an then i an use the internet. I bought another code and when i tried to make a connection with my Wii it kept failng. How to I configure the Wii to use a access code. Please note that it it not a WEP password but the kind of code you use in a hotel. I realy want to know how to do so, cause I wan't to impresses my buddies.

2. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

Wii Friend Code: 8573-5327-9660-0097
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    I don't believe there is anything you can do. Same goes for the DS and PSP.

3. Wade

Wade WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2516-2980-0622-0754
    2516-2980-0622-0754
    Precisely. If it's set up so that you pull up a page on your browser and enter a password, you're pretty much out of luck with connecting to it with a game console.

4. FWELR

FWELR Bonds Passes Hank 8/7/07

Wii Friend Code: 5926-3597-6847-7270
    5926-3597-6847-7270
    ya, its just like here in MV, Google gives a free wifi network, but you have to enter the passcode on a webpage, so it won't work. you could use a USB Connector from your laptop, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

5. ciper

ciper

Unplug Wii
    Close MAC of Wii to laptop
    Connect to wireless and enter password
    Change MAC on laptop back to default
    Turn on Wii

Voila

6. Rosbaughcr

Rosbaughcr WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7466-2556-3307-9977
    7466-2556-3307-9977

Will that realyl work? You won't still have to enter the password on the Wii?

7. ciper

ciper

No if you do it fast enough.

8. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    how is he going to "change" the MAC on his laptop?

First of all the MAC is on his Network Interface Card not the laptop. Secondly, the MAC address for the NIC isn't changeable. It is imbedded by the manufacturer. Which is why part of the MAC address represents manufacturers.

9. ciper

ciper

1. I assumed his wireless network card was integrated since the majority of them are today hence "change the MAC of your laptop" is the opposite of "changing the MAC of your Wii"
    2. I can't believe you said the MAC isnt changeable. Not much I can say besides you are wrong. The MAC of the wired and wireless NIC on my laptop were fe-ed-fa-ce-de-ad-be-ef (feed face dead beef) for a LONG time

First Ill tell you the HARD way to change a MAC. My laptop was originally a Centrino with the 2200BG wireless. I wanted to use the newer 2915ABG. I took the keyboard off and replaced the old 2200BG with the 2915ABG. The bios did not have the cards Vendor ID or PCI ID in its whitelist. The laptop changed its boot logo to "Intel Mobile technology" and didn't recognize the card. This meant it didn't assign resources and I got the shitty code 10 in device manager (enumeration problem). The MAC was also stored in the eeprom and was changeable the same way.

Eventually after lots of reading I found out how to rewrite the eeprom on the card to change the device ID. I turned my card from an OEM IBM 2915ABG to a Dell supplied "retail" NIC. Now I get my fancy centrino logo on boot, the bios sees the card properly and it enumerates just fine in windows.

I shouldnt give much detail but its easy to fool most switches into sending another clients data which you can then record using a mac spoof. I used this to record VOIP calls on a Cisco 6513 with Nortal VOIP phones as a demonstration to the IT manager how insecure the network was.

In non Windows OS it is often a single line of text at the terminal to change the address. I had to do this every time I booted with OSX while helping to develop the Intel Wireless driver.

If you know the chipset of your NIC (wired or wireless) I can almost guarantee a Windows driver exists that allows you to type any hex address you want as the MAC. Even if you don't you can use a tool like this http://amac.paqtool.com/

Do not trust your certifications. Applied knowledge is more valuable.

#9 ciper, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  10. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    What does MAC cloning have to do with anything? That is changing the MAC address on the router. We are talking about NICs.

11. ganton

ganton sleeps with the fishes

in your head reputation: 101-24 till next block
    Wii Friend Code: 7927-4585-8292-8959
    7927-4585-8292-8959
    I think that your major problem is that you are using internet explorer on a mac. wtf is wrounge with you use safari or at leastfire fox this will fix the problem

12. Supermariomp3

Supermariomp3 WiiChat Member

You can still impress your buddies just by letting them play the Wii!!!!!!! Just surf the internet with your laptop.

13. SensesFail

SensesFail WiiChat Member

man, you really know how to rough it. lmao

14. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    Ok now you are just being a firefox fanboy to be a fanboy.

What does the browser have to do with his problem?

15. Wade

Wade WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2516-2980-0622-0754
    2516-2980-0622-0754
    Where did you get the idea he was using a Mac? He never said that.

16. zurukea

zurukea Billy Talent is awesomest

Whats This Called

What kind of server is this. I would like to know so that I could work on a solution. I thought maybe it was a proxy sever only because I have no idea what a proxy server is. But i'm hoping it has a name. They use the same thing in StarBucks ( please not that I'm not a fancy person who needs Starbucks and I am OK with Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donught's). LOL

17. ciper

ciper

You forgot to read the rest of the post. My story of VOIP attacks used man in the middle ARP poisoning which is based on MAC spoofing on the windows client! There are many tools available to help do this but the easiest to configure is cain and able.

edit: MAC cloning on a router is the same considering many routers are running embedded Linux.

#17 ciper, Jul 12, 2007
  18. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    How are they a same? You are comparing assigning a MAC Address to a Router to spoofing the mac of a NIC.

And I read your entire post...not sure what it has to do with anything...

19. ciper

ciper

I've removed the portion about the MAC on a home router. Now my entire post is about changing the MAC address of a NIC on a PC.

Ill give you an analogy to help you understand why its possible to change the MAC. You are under the assumption that a NIC functions like an external serial modem. The overwhelming majority of NICS are more like a Winmodem where the processing is done by your CPU and driver rather than onboard. Some have partial offloading to increase performance but those are server class with extremely high throughput.

If you have the right driver and software it is easy to fool even high end switches to send you traffic by generating packets with a MAC that doesnt match whats burned onto the eeprom of the card. This is how the man in the middle attack worked above.

I know that sounds like a temporary change but many adapters have the option to save a custom MAC into the portion of the registry where the driver saves its settings. This allows you to retain the same "fake" MAC at all* times. *Most low end adapters change the MAC to default when the machine is powered down and you are using magic packets for WOL.

Now for the removed portion of the post
    Home routers aren't different than your computer. If you have ever hacked a Tivo you will understand what I mean. Many of them use the same chipset as that wired/wireless NIC in your PC and some even have a regular PCMCIA wireless card inside.
    The interfaces on the home router still come with a MAC assigned from the specific manufacturers range and can be identified easily. They still print a sticker on the bottom listing the default MAC address.
    Running a "standard" OS on the router is what allowed people to write so many custom applications. Look at the crazy stuff that is available for the WRT54G. People have attached screens and drives to it, turned it into a pay access point, create slow VPN links or even host a website.
    But I guess this is way off topic from my original off topic discussion about chaning MACs

#19 ciper, Jul 12, 2007
  20. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    But you see the reason why I put "change" in quotes, is because you never technically change the manufacture imprinted MAC on a NIC. You can spoof it yes.