Wii attracts gamers outside the realm the Xbox and PlayStation

jess4mick

WiiChat Member
Jan 4, 2007
australia
Wii Online Code
4413-3959-6605-8167
:yesnod: found this and thought was interesting reading..................................no seriously, they hate it.

Given the sales prowess of the Wii, you might think that the only haters left are people with paychecks stamped "Microsoft" or "Sony." After all, the console sales data for October just came out this week, and Americans bought 518,000 Wiis, compared with 366,000 Xbox 360 systems and a meager 121,000 PlayStation 3s.

Apart from September, when Halo 3 temporarily gave Microsoft the monthly console sales crown, it's been a Wii world almost since the console was released last year. So everyone and his grandma must be cheering the success of Nintendo's little white box, no?

Well, that "grandma" thing is what's causing the problems.

While Nintendo has insisted all along that it remains committed to the so-called hard-core gamer – and points to Wii versions of Metroid and Zelda as proof of that commitment – there's no doubt that casual gamers, lapsed gamers and never-been gamers are the biggest piece of the Wii's success.

In other words, the Wii is grandma's console, and she doesn't want to play Metroid. She wants the simple, colorful, partylike gaming fun of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Mario Party 8.

Which is why those titles have sold extremely well despite middling review scores, a point noted recently by Austin resident Bill Harris both on his personal game blog, Dubious Quality (dubious quality.blogspot.com), and on a guest post on Newsweek's Level Up blog.

So the rabid, longtime gamer who lives and breathes epic, 30-hour-plus games with complicated controls, sophisticated graphics and intricate storylines is looking at these collections of minigames and snorting in derision.

A lot of the comments on message boards from those gamers revolve around the issue of whether the Wii is a fad destined to fade in a year or so as casual gamers get bored and move on to something else and hard-core gamers become ascendant again.

I don't think that's going to happen.

The sales numbers for the Wii are just too huge, and I still get more questions about the Wii from my co-workers who don't play games than questions about the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined.

But I do think the game market is splitting. With all the success it's enjoying with the Wii, Nintendo is never going to go back to relying on the hard-core crowd.

The company's next console (at least five or six years away, I'd bet) likely won't be much more than a souped-up version of the Wii, probably with support for HD graphics and maybe slightly more accurate motion sensitivity.

Sony and Microsoft, on the other hand, seem more intent on battling for the hard-core gamers who prefer to see alien brains splattered all over the floor than teaching fluffy puppies to jump and heel.

There's nothing wrong with any of this. If the market is big enough to cater to every type of gamer, that's only good news.

If you want your ultra-high-def, shoot-anything-that-moves thrill, Microsoft and Sony will be there. And if you want to train your brain in minutes a day, Nintendo will be there.

It's not the good old days, which a lot of gamers seem to miss.

It's the good new days, which everyone should be able to enjoy.

D'uh.

I've been pointing this out for most of the year.
Nintendo had a nice graph in October showing the age range and gender of Wii buyers/players. 7 - 75 years of age, both genders.

[insert no kidding Sherlock pic]

I you look at the age ranges of people joined up you can tell that its for all ages

This kind of article makes me mad. I'm a 'grandma' that bought the Wii for innovative, simple controls. That does NOT mean that I want SIMPLE games. People seem to think that the casual gamer wants a bunch of mini-games with South Park graphics. Well, this 'grandma' ain't buying it. I'm playing Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles; have ordered Ghost Squad and Link's Crossbow Training; plan on getting Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity and Mario Kart Wii along with a host of others. I want good quality games, lengthy gameplay, good replay value and graphics that push the capability of the Wii. Just because I'm classed as casual, due to my age alone, that doesn't mean I want a bunch of garbage games forced down my throat and being told to like it. I don't. I want bang for my buck just like the 'hardcore'.

while this article may be true for the most part i dknt think the wii is doomed to be a casual console

i mean sure it has its fair share of minigame collections but it has recently been proven the otherwise is possible: mp3, mohh2, tp, manhunt 2, smg, ssbb & the list could go on

just bc the wii might not churn out "hardcore" epics on a regular basis that r for yhe most part sub-par (Lair anyone) doesnt make them any worse

if anything i like having a bunch of fun rentals among a pool and peppered thru out i find a select few GREAT games, better than not knowing wats good or bad if u ask me

Yeah in my eyes, I would think possibly there is a lot of old people buying Wiis but still it's mainly the youth.I think it's possibly because I've seen it happen before, my grandparents LOVE Wii Sports.And, yeah I would also think that Wii is more famous then the 360 & PS3 because, like i previoulsy stated yes the Wii is intended for ALL ages.

P.S. I want variety!!!People as my fellow gamers if all the games were the same exact thing just a different story, I wouldn't like videogames.Halo 3,Bioshock, Gears of war, are all shooting/war games right?!?Exactly!Sure Halo 3 is awesome but still it's the same as any other friggin thing for th 360!I grew up on the Nintendo 64 and I loved it because they had VARIETY!All the games i grew up with Super Smash Bros.,Yoshi's Story,Harvest Moon, and a lot more!The best thing is there all different.

The Wii has a range of good games now so to me that part of the discussion is over.

What I don't agree with in the article is that the next Wii will only be slightly better graphics and more accurate motion controls. I'm not calling for super graphics but Nintendo better try to be more of an innovator than that with additional input options or something..

I miss the old Nintendo... where they didn't cater to the casuals.

I like the variety though =]

Back