Wii Backwards Compatibility

massi4h said:
I feel stupid asking this, but can it actually play N64, etc games? I hired out a Wii before and I couldn't see any special slots (heck I couldn't find a place to stick in a GC controller or memory card, probably due to lots of stickers) and does that mean you can plug in N64 controllers?

I can play N64 games, but not N64 cartridges. Some N64 games are release on virtual console for download, but only 4 are available. The GC controllers plug into ports on the top of the console, the top flips open.

massi4h said:
I feel stupid asking this, but can it actually play N64, etc games? I hired out a Wii before and I couldn't see any special slots (heck I couldn't find a place to stick in a GC controller or memory card, probably due to lots of stickers) and does that mean you can plug in N64 controllers?
You can download old games from the Wii Store, but I doubt that a hired one would still have that.

Oh wow thanks, anywhere I can actually find the list of N64, etc games I can play on the Wii?

Yeah the xbox 360 overuses shooters that get old after a few days. (Although the Xbox out does the PS3, but what console does not!) Anyway, the Wii gives a variety of games that you can play over and over without it getting as dull as the unorigional FPS's. There are some exceptions with the Wii's great games - Avatar, etc.

manufan15 said:
Yeah the xbox 360 overuses shooters that get old after a few days. (Although the Xbox out does the PS3, but what console does not!) Anyway, the Wii gives a variety of games that you can play over and over without it getting as dull as the unorigional FPS's. There are some exceptions with the Wii's great games - Avatar, etc.

And for the people who happen to like shooter games?

You obviously have no idea about taste or considering the taste of others.

I like waving my arms around and jumping up and down as much as the next idiot... i mean person... but i prefer to blast some alien or bad guy in the head any day.

I've got a wii.. i got bored of it after 2 weeks, the games get boring... i got an xbox 360 and i've been playing it constantly for 2 months.

Xbox 360 has got, in the line of shooters:

Quake
Gears
Halo
Prey
etc

Wii has got:

Red Steel (completed in 2 hours - snooze)
Far Cry (muli-system... was released on 360 too)
And i can't think of any others that are actually any good.
Although metroid will be coming out soon (Y) ... that's gonna rock!... at least... i hope it will...

(i'd agree about the PS3 comment... lol)

Avatar? a good game? the 'anime' (it's not even really an anime)... was crap... i'm sure the game is. (besides it was a multi-system release... so it's hardly exclusive to the wii =/)

whatever

the_flood502 said:
And for the people who happen to like shooter games?

You obviously have no idea about taste or considering the taste of others.

I like waving my arms around and jumping up and down as much as the next idiot... i mean person... but i prefer to blast some alien or bad guy in the head any day.

I've got a wii.. i got bored of it after 2 weeks, the games get boring... i got an xbox 360 and i've been playing it constantly for 2 months.

Xbox 360 has got, in the line of shooters:

Quake
Gears
Halo
Prey
etc

Wii has got:

Red Steel (completed in 2 hours - snooze)
Far Cry (muli-system... was released on 360 too)
And i can't think of any others that are actually any good.
Although metroid will be coming out soon (Y) ... that's gonna rock!... at least... i hope it will...

(i'd agree about the PS3 comment... lol)

Avatar? a good game? the 'anime' (it's not even really an anime)... was crap... i'm sure the game is. (besides it was a multi-system release... so it's hardly exclusive to the wii =/)

whatever

I said exceptions about Avatar, meaning its bad. I agree with you that it's a poor game, heck I don't know what they were thinking about making it a TV series, even for kids.

Also, I never said I thought the Wii had any awesome games out right now, some are great, but few. I'm sorry if i made it seem like I thought pretty much all of them were great. I'm just waiting for Brawl, and maybe Metroid, seeing as Hunters was awesome.

I actually like shooters as well. Halo and Gears of War are fun and all, but theres only 1 thing that you can do really and that's shoot people. Sure that's fun - I prefer Battlefield myself, as I like more realsitic shooters with some exceptions again. Sometimes it's just fun to have a more variety of gaming experience.

Last edited:
manufan15 said:
I said exceptions about Avatar, meaning its bad. I agree with you that it's a poor game, heck I don't know what they were thinking about making it a TV series, even for kids.

Also, I never said I thought the Wii had any awesome games out right now, some are great, but few. I'm sorry if i made it seem like I thought pretty much all of them were great. I'm just waiting for Brawl, and maybe Metroid, seeing as Hunters was awesome.

I actually like shooters as well. Halo and Gears of War are fun and all, but theres only 1 thing that you can do really and that's shoot people. Sure that's fun - I prefer Battlefield myself, as I like more realsitic shooters with some exceptions again. Sometimes it's just fun to have a more variety of gaming experience.

Oh, i guess i got confuzzled =S

Hunters was amazing ^^ - I loved the GC metroids too...

=/? i never get bored of shooter games... i've still not completed quake IV and i'm on the last level on GOW... it's just the wii shooters are either too easy or just a muli-system.

N have never really been big on shooter though =/ - shame really... with the wii mote aiming is much more efficient.

I think Nintendo did extremely well in making the DS able to play GBA games but why exactly did they not allow older Gameboy games to be played on it?

Matt's_A_Bluebird said:
I think Nintendo did extremely well in making the DS able to play GBA games but why exactly did they not allow older Gameboy games to be played on it?

Because it wont fit in ^^

lol

(not the real reason...but still)

I think it's because the monochrome games are 8-bit and the DS and GBA are 32-bit and 16-bit... maybe... i don't know... feel free to correct me... hell i'm probably wrong lol.

wait...

Whatever

the_flood502 said:
Because it wont fit in ^^

lol

(not the real reason...but still)

I think it's because the monochrome games are 8-bit and the DS and GBA are 32-bit and 16-bit... maybe... i don't know... feel free to correct me... hell i'm probably wrong lol.

wait...

Whatever

That's not really it, there's a Gameboy/Color-specific processor that Nintendo included in the Advance but not the DS, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo omitted the ability to play Color and Original Gameboy games on the DS just for the sleekness.

Back on the topic of shooters. Yea, there are a bunch of great, unique
shooters out there, as you said. But then the rest is filled in with WWII shooters and sports games. I'm only exagerating slightly, seriously. I see a lack of originality in most shooters on the Xbox 360.

Back