Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii behind a proxy server

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Online' started by juliansmith, Dec 9, 2006.

1. juliansmith

juliansmith WiiChat Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to use my wireless to connect to my wii. The trouble is i'm in a dorm who use a proxy server, so I normally have to put my username and password into the web browser (in the proxy settings). The wii doesn't have any options for configuring to work behind a proxy, so what should i do?! I really want my wii online :-(

2. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

Wii Friend Code: 8573-5327-9660-0097
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Buy a Wifi usb adapter.

3. juliansmith

Yeah but that is so much hassle. how come in the Wii booklet it has proxy settings as an option, but the wii itself doesn't?

4. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    it's too much of a hassle to go buy a usb adapter for the price of a router?

And I don't know I haven't had to at any point reference the manual.

5. juliansmith

but i have to buy the adapter over the internet and i a] don't have a credit card and b] didn't want to wait. Woohoo, you haven't had to reference the manual. Lucky you. But because i need to enter a proxy address it makes everything difficult.

6. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    I'm sure you have a gaming store somewhere within an hour or two.

7. juliansmith

they only sell them online in australia :mad2:

8. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    Oh, well if I knew you were an aussie that would have cleared that up a few posts back. There really isn't much you can do other than order one online.

9. juliansmith

well thanks for your help. I haven't had any luck yet. I don't understand why the wii doesn't have options for a proxy server?!

10. sven

sven WiiChat Member

_THE_ answer

If you are the one owning the accesspoint or if the proxy is after the AP then you could install a router software on your PC and tell the Wii to route the trafic thru your computer.

11. juliansmith

Hi,
    thanks for your help. How exactly would I do that? I am pretty clueless about routers and stuff. I own a Belkin F5D7231-4 router. Basically my set up is this

ethernet cable comes out of the wall - into my router - computer picks up the router's signal. The proxy is set by the university. I had to put in an automatic configuration script into my LAN settings on Internet explorer to make it work.

All help is much appreciated :)

12. Geckotek

Geckotek WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6557-4845-7665-3160
    6557-4845-7665-3160
    How exactly would a WiFi USB adapter help??? Unless he connects to an AP that's not on the university network, he still has to enter the proxy info.

I would turn this question to Nintendo's support. I bet we see this in a update later.

Nice answer sven, but don't think it's possible in this case.

#12 Geckotek, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  13. sven

sven WiiChat Member

You have to use a router software in windows (you can do this alot easier with linux..). Sygate used to have an exeptional tool for this, 5-6 years ago... The problem is that you have to make the proxy transparrent, which won't happen if you "just" add another router, you have to transport the connection outside the university, like with a VPN. You can ask a friend if he could install hamachi (which is a ZeroConfig VPN (no config needed)...) and then use windows internal internet connection sharing, however, i'm not sure hamachi works with proxies... but you can check it out (http://www.hamachi.cc/). Or you could use OpenVPN which is alot harder...

The mail concept of this solution is to use someone elses internet (one that doesn't need a proxy..) and let you'r Wii use that to get online. The big picture is like this

Wii <---> Wireless device <---> Windowsbox <---> VPN <---> Internet

Meaning, Wii connects to the wireless, let the windowsbox act as it's router (with something like ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)) which will connect a VPN to you'r Wii, A friend that has a direct connection then joins the VPN and act as you'r gate out to the wild

Wii -> Windows -> VPN (-> Internet ->) VPN -> Friends internet

... This sounds harder then it is but if you never done it it might be frustrating at first...

I don't use hamachi anymore so I can't help you set it up, but there are loads of info on google...

I'm not sure that I've sheaded some light or not, but I hope that you got something out of it, may it be that it's easier to get the WiFi thingy from nintendo, or trying hamachi,,, let me know if you succeed...

14. juliansmith

I already use Cisco VPN software to let me get around the university's blocking of programs such as limewire, soulseek and online poker lol. So what you're suggesting is that I somehow make the wii use my computer's internet connection with the VPN? I didn't quite follow the idea, but thanks for attempting to help someone who is clueless in these aspects. How exactly am I going to make the Wii share my computer's internet connection?

15. sven

sven WiiChat Member

You have to do nothing with you'r Wii, except select another router (Dissable DHCP, or config you DHCP server to give the Wii another router info). The rest is for the windows box.. You might need to add another NIC, or you can use some sort of virtual NIC (like a Linux NIC Alias)...

16. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

8573-5327-9660-0097
    There are proxy server settings on the wii btw.

17. gbesta

gbesta WiiChat Member

If you buy a WiFi USB adapter you should be able to share your VPN connection on your PC. You might have to add routing info on your PC if it doesn't work straight away. ROUTE ADD -p in msdos will enable you to set up a persistant route.

18. ReTodd

ReTodd WiiChat Member

Buy a wireless router online using a prepaid credit card. Go to your local bank and ask, there shouldn't be more than a $5 USD fee.

19. juliansmith

20. juliansmith

where?