Wii behind a proxy server

juliansmith

WiiChat Member
Dec 8, 2006
Hi,
I'm trying to use my wireless to connect to my wii. The trouble is i'm in a dorm who use a proxy server, so I normally have to put my username and password into the web browser (in the proxy settings). The wii doesn't have any options for configuring to work behind a proxy, so what should i do?! I really want my wii online :-(

juliansmith said:
Hi,
I'm trying to use my wireless to connect to my wii. The trouble is i'm in a dorm who use a proxy server, so I normally have to put my username and password into the web browser (in the proxy settings). The wii doesn't have any options for configuring to work behind a proxy, so what should i do?! I really want my wii online :-(

Buy a Wifi usb adapter.

Yeah but that is so much hassle. how come in the Wii booklet it has proxy settings as an option, but the wii itself doesn't?

juliansmith said:
Yeah but that is so much hassle. how come in the Wii booklet it has proxy settings as an option, but the wii itself doesn't?

it's too much of a hassle to go buy a usb adapter for the price of a router?

And I don't know I haven't had to at any point reference the manual.

vagrant said:
it's too much of a hassle to go buy a usb adapter for the price of a router?

And I don't know I haven't had to at any point reference the manual.

but i have to buy the adapter over the internet and i a] don't have a credit card and b] didn't want to wait. Woohoo, you haven't had to reference the manual. Lucky you. But because i need to enter a proxy address it makes everything difficult.

juliansmith said:
but i have to buy the adapter over the internet and i a] don't have a credit card and b] didn't want to wait. Woohoo, you haven't had to reference the manual. Lucky you. But because i need to enter a proxy address it makes everything difficult.

I'm sure you have a gaming store somewhere within an hour or two.

juliansmith said:
they only sell them online in australia :mad2:

Oh, well if I knew you were an aussie that would have cleared that up a few posts back. There really isn't much you can do other than order one online.

well thanks for your help. I haven't had any luck yet. I don't understand why the wii doesn't have options for a proxy server?!

_THE_ answer

If you are the one owning the accesspoint or if the proxy is after the AP then you could install a router software on your PC and tell the Wii to route the trafic thru your computer.

Hi,
thanks for your help. How exactly would I do that? I am pretty clueless about routers and stuff. I own a Belkin F5D7231-4 router. Basically my set up is this

ethernet cable comes out of the wall - into my router - computer picks up the router's signal. The proxy is set by the university. I had to put in an automatic configuration script into my LAN settings on Internet explorer to make it work.

All help is much appreciated :)

How exactly would a WiFi USB adapter help??? Unless he connects to an AP that's not on the university network, he still has to enter the proxy info.

I would turn this question to Nintendo's support. I bet we see this in a update later.

Nice answer sven, but don't think it's possible in this case.

Last edited:
You have to use a router software in windows (you can do this alot easier with linux..). Sygate used to have an exeptional tool for this, 5-6 years ago... The problem is that you have to make the proxy transparrent, which won't happen if you "just" add another router, you have to transport the connection outside the university, like with a VPN. You can ask a friend if he could install hamachi (which is a ZeroConfig VPN (no config needed)...) and then use windows internal internet connection sharing, however, i'm not sure hamachi works with proxies... but you can check it out (http://www.hamachi.cc/). Or you could use OpenVPN which is alot harder...

The mail concept of this solution is to use someone elses internet (one that doesn't need a proxy..) and let you'r Wii use that to get online. The big picture is like this

Wii <---> Wireless device <---> Windowsbox <---> VPN <---> Internet

Meaning, Wii connects to the wireless, let the windowsbox act as it's router (with something like ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)) which will connect a VPN to you'r Wii, A friend that has a direct connection then joins the VPN and act as you'r gate out to the wild

Wii -> Windows -> VPN (-> Internet ->) VPN -> Friends internet

... This sounds harder then it is but if you never done it it might be frustrating at first...

I don't use hamachi anymore so I can't help you set it up, but there are loads of info on google...

I'm not sure that I've sheaded some light or not, but I hope that you got something out of it, may it be that it's easier to get the WiFi thingy from nintendo, or trying hamachi,,, let me know if you succeed...

I already use Cisco VPN software to let me get around the university's blocking of programs such as limewire, soulseek and online poker lol. So what you're suggesting is that I somehow make the wii use my computer's internet connection with the VPN? I didn't quite follow the idea, but thanks for attempting to help someone who is clueless in these aspects. How exactly am I going to make the Wii share my computer's internet connection?

You have to do nothing with you'r Wii, except select another router (Dissable DHCP, or config you DHCP server to give the Wii another router info). The rest is for the windows box.. You might need to add another NIC, or you can use some sort of virtual NIC (like a Linux NIC Alias)...

Back