Wii Booster

RJU690

WiiChat Member
Mar 31, 2007
Atlanta
This looks like a very cool sensor bar and may provide a solution for those who play from a long distance away from the sensor bar.

• Wireless Solution
• Up To 2X The Operating Distance
• Smart Auto-OFF Function
• Dual Modes: Active, Boost
• Dynamic Power Management
• Up To 60 Hours of Play Time
• Low Battery Indicator
• Compatible With Rechargeable Batteries
• Microprocessor Controlled

Does anyone know anything about this or when it might be available for purchase?

http://www.wiibooster.com/index.php

vagrant said:
So it's just a wireless sensor bar with stronger IR. I could make one of those with a trip to radio shack.

It's basically the exact same thing as;

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5607973

minus the signal power switch.

It's not the same thing because all of the other wireless sensor bars offer the same range of the original one. Wii Boost has a range twice as long making it stand apart which is important because many people sit very far from their screens especially if they use a projector.

RJU690 said:
It's not the same thing because all of the other wireless sensor bars offer the same range of the original one. Wii Boost has a range twice as long making it stand apart which is important because many people sit very far from their screens especially if they use a projector.

I'm pretty sure the one I gave you a link to also has 2x the range of the standard one.

At the moment there isn't in the market a sensor bar with range more than 5m. Anything farther than that will give you jerky cursor movement , it will work but movement will be jerky and cursor rotation will lag. Nyko and 4gamers sensor bar tested, 4gamers is the best i've seen so far with 10 LEDs like the original one and with the same orientation, Nyko has 4 I think, but the 4gamers one takes 6 AAs when Nyko takes 4.
So range is still an issue if you want to be far from the screen. Hope the WiiBooster solves this issue but I doubt it.

iceblade said:
At the moment there isn't in the market a sensor bar with range more than 5m. Anything farther than that will give you jerky cursor movement , it will work but movement will be jerky and cursor rotation will lag. Nyko and 4gamers sensor bar tested, 4gamers is the best i've seen so far with 10 LEDs like the original one and with the same orientation, Nyko has 4 I think, but the 4gamers one takes 6 AAs when Nyko takes 4.
So range is still an issue if you want to be far from the screen. Hope the WiiBooster solves this issue but I doubt it.

Having just compared the nyko wireless sensor bar from wal-mart to the one that came with my wii 1 minute ago. I can confirm that I get close to twice the distance with the nyko one.

Oh and you have to purchase these from Taiwan, so have fun with that.

http://www.wiibooster.com/contact.html

Last edited:
vagrant said:
I can confirm that I get close to twice the distance with the nyko one.
I really really doubt it
From IGN:
"The Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar claims a 25-foot range, and in our testing we concluded that it is indeed somewhat more powerful than the official Sensor Bar. Between 12 and 25-feet away from the Sensor Bar, we experienced comparatively less jittering with the Nyko model as opposed to the Nintendo issue. The difference wasn't extreme and twisting the Wiimote still produced quite a bit of jitter, yet we were able to conclude that the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar gave us slightly better tracking ability at the 25-foot range."
25 feet my a$$. current sensor bar are useless at more than 20 feet. At 20 feet cursor movement isn't great either

Last edited:
RJU690: Increasing power and distance without adjusting distance between the IR sources will make the Wiimote less accurate. Draw a triangle between the two light sources and the Wiimote at its suggested distance and then try to match that angle with the booster bar and you will see the problem.

iceblade said:
I really really doubt it
From IGN:
"The Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar claims a 25-foot range, and in our testing we concluded that it is indeed somewhat more powerful than the official Sensor Bar. Between 12 and 25-feet away from the Sensor Bar, we experienced comparatively less jittering with the Nyko model as opposed to the Nintendo issue. The difference wasn't extreme and twisting the Wiimote still produced quite a bit of jitter, yet we were able to conclude that the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar gave us slightly better tracking ability at the 25-foot range."
25 feet my a$$. current sensor bar are useless at more than 20 feet. At 20 feet cursor movement isn't great either

I fail to see how this debunks what I said.

vagrant said:
I fail to see how this debunks what I said.
vagrant said:
I can confirm that I get close to twice the distance with the nyko one.
"we were able to conclude that the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar gave us slightly better tracking ability at the 25-foot range."
You think this means 2x range? Got me. ciper explains the range problem:
ciper said:
RJU690: Increasing power and distance without adjusting distance between the IR sources will make the Wiimote less accurate. Draw a triangle between the two light sources and the Wiimote at its suggested distance and then try to match that angle with the booster bar and you will see the problem.
I agree. Do you know any good tutorial of making custom IR sources?

I already explained the range problem multiple times in your own thread. Hence why I kept talking about TRIANGULATION.

And all that means is that I am either getting shittier range from my nintendo one then they were, or I am getting better range from my nyko one then they did.

There are various variables that could be the reason such as lighting.

iceblade said:
"we were able to conclude that the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar gave us slightly better tracking ability at the 25-foot range."
You think this means 2x range? Got me. ciper explains the range problem:

I agree. Do you know any good tutorial of making custom IR sources?
Not really. Most of the walkthroughs incorrectly focus on creating an exact replica of the original sensor bar. I created my own custom measured bar for my projector using a protractor and string. I can't remember the angles at the moment but its easy to find out. The documentation from Nintendo gives a specific range for the Wiimote, 6-8 feet I think, so I chose the middle of that range. I then held a string from the two IR LED in the sensor bar to that distance and measured the angle. I then did the reverse with my new distance for the projector and the sensor bar had to be lengthened by only a couple inches.

ciper said:
Not really. Most of the walkthroughs incorrectly focus on creating an exact replica of the original sensor bar. I created my own custom measured bar for my projector using a protractor and string. I can't remember the angles at the moment but its easy to find out. The documentation from Nintendo gives a specific range for the Wiimote, 6-8 feet I think, so I chose the middle of that range. I then held a string from the two IR LED in the sensor bar to that distance and measured the angle. I then did the reverse with my new distance for the projector and the sensor bar had to be lengthened by only a couple inches.
I'm actually thinking of making 2 separate IR emitters so I can change the distance between whenever I want. I found this but the guy says that the range isn't still good enough. However I think this is pretty much what I'm looking for. What do you think?
Or I could bet 2 wireless sensor bar's and but tape over each one's 1/2 emitters :p

Last edited:
That video was pretty bad but thats the basic idea. What do you mean when you say two seperate IR emitters?

My sensor bar had 5 IR led on each side for increased brightness and I could turn the sensitivity down all the way.

ciper said:
That video was pretty bad but thats the basic idea. What do you mean when you say two seperate IR emitters?

My sensor bar had 5 IR led on each side for increased brightness and I could turn the sensitivity down all the way.
I just mean having two separate IR emitters. just imagine your sensor bar cut in half so that you could freely move the left and right side. So actually I don't like a sensor bar but two strong IR emitters (like yours) which I can freely move.
IF its possible can you post some guidelines on how to make this. (ie;e how you made yours, which parts did u use etc)
thanks

Back