Wii browser (Opera) Free in Japan until Summer 2007

I am the confused now. Does this mean I can go to this website for free on my wii? Could I play runescape for free on my wii? What can't I do without paying?

here is the prob get opera get to play flash and java games like runecape you dont get to go on the browser but there is messaging system for free that is good

On Wikepedia it says:
Similar to its use as the Nintendo DS Browser, the Opera web browser will be available for download, according to Nintendo, and it will be purchased using Wii Points. It will be available as a free download until June 2007 in all regions.

I've heard that Opera browser will be able to play Macromedia Flash. Not sure about Java. And please stop complaining about it not being free. Nintendo didn't develop the software themselves, it was done on behalf of them, and so the decision to make it not-free was not Nintendo's to begin with.
Opera does more than just Nintendo's stuff

Besides, it'll be a completely different experience with the wiimote. And all this is Nintendo's policy to make sure that people don't pay for what they don't want. If Nintendo subsidised the price for Opera, and passed on the cost to the general consumer, it would be unfair on the people that didn't want it in the first place.

EDIT:

The norwegian software company Opera are developing the Internet browser for both the Nintendo DS and the Wii.

Opera's Berit Hanson was nice enough to answers our questions regarding their web browser currently in development for Wii.

Why do you think Nintendo chose Opera for their Wii browser? There are a lot of browsers out there, and some are more popular than Opera?

Opera is experienced in porting to many different devices and mobile phone platforms. We have long been a provider of full Web browser to a variety of devices, allowing users to access the entire Internet despite potential limitations of smaller device. Opera also features unique rendering technology. This means that if you are surfing the Web on your TV, Opera will not appear as it does on a PC. It will adapt the content of the page to suit the size of the screen. These capabilities, in addition to the speed and reliability of the browser, made Opera a natural choice for the Wii.

How long have you had to develop the Opera software for the Wii?
We have followed Nintendo's development schedule for this project, but are unable to say more.

What web standards will the browser support? The DS browser don't support Flash or PDF, what about the Wii browser?
Opera for Wii will support all the same Web standards that are included in Opera 9 for PCs and Macs. This desktop beta version is available now at this link: http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?ver=9.0b This version does include Javascript. Whether plug-ins such as Flash will be supported in Opera on Wii has not yet been announced. Stay tuned!

Will the browser be customisable? Will we see skins and "widgets" like in the PC version?
Nintendo isn’t ready to discuss if there will be any user customization allowed for Opera on Wii. Opera’s desktop browser is highly customizable and “skinnable”. We have announced that Opera Widgets will be available on devices and it would be cool to see them on Wii.

What functions will the Wii controller have? Will it act as the mouse pointer? Are we able to scroll or type using the functionality of the Wiimote?
We aim to make a browsing experience that leverages the intuitive capabilities of the Wii remote. Opera for desktop PCs has the built in mouse gesture-based navigation, but how this might be available and mapped to the Wii remote hasn’t yet been revealed by Nintendo.

Will Opera for Wii support tabbed browsing and bookmarks? And will we be able to have personalised bookmarks, so that each family member can have their own profile?
Yes, Opera for Wii will include bookmarks. But Nintendo and Opera have not yet revealed specifics on the unique browser features on the Wii. More will be announced as the Wii launch approaches.

Will the browser be sold as a separate item, like it is for the DS? If so, is it possible to "install" the browser rather than having to swap in the optical disc?
The Opera browser is saved to the Flash ROM on the Wii console, and does not require a separate memory card as Opera for DS does. The browser can be launched in only a few seconds, immediately delivering a great user experience.

What version of Opera is the browser based on? 8.5 or 9.0 ?
Opera 9

Will it support music and video? Will it be possible to stream videos and music?
We are unable to comment on this at this time.

Comparing to a PC display, roughly what resolution will Wii use for browsing?
All we can say at this time is that the user interface for Opera on Wii will be customized to better suit a living room environment. For example, fonts will be larger and the user interface will be simplified so that the Web is easier to view and use from a distance while navigating with the Wii remote.

Will it launch with the Wii?
As mentioned before, *Opera will not be sold separately on a game cartridge for Wii. We would like all Wii users to be able to use Opera to surf the Internet. The details of how exactly Opera will be available for browsing within Wii have not yet been announced by Nintendo.

How hard was it to develop the Wii version compared to the PC and the DS version?
There were no major challenges during our development of the Wii browser, since Opera has experience with porting to many different devices and mobile phone platforms. The biggest challenge has been to create the best “living room” Web experience, leveraging the unique capabilities of Wii. Opera has worked closely with Nintendo to achieve a breakthrough experience, especially in terms of incorporating the revolutionary Wii remote into the browsing experience.

Do you think Wii will see more applications? Are you planning on developing anything else for Wii?
Opera is very excited to be working on the Wii project, and we hope to continue to improve the Wii browsing experience by utilizing Opera's unique capabilities. We would also love to see some interaction between the Wii and the DS browsers, but Nintendo has not announced any plans to do so yet. More info will come as the launch approaches.
* - The Opera people said that it would not be sold seperately, not Nintendo
Source

Last edited:
its another way for nintendo to make money see nintendo charges cheap for its console but thats becuz they got other cheap little goodies...which is a good thing, and 5 ****ing dollars isn't gonna kill u damnit just pay it! opera is better than firerox on all me 3 pc's atleast, so yea.

NeMeZyZ said:
its another way for nintendo to make money see nintendo charges cheap for its console but thats becuz they got other cheap little goodies...which is a good thing, and 5 ****ing dollars isn't gonna kill u damnit just pay it! opera is better than firerox on all me 3 pc's atleast, so yea.
You have inside info that it is only 5 dollars?

I would like to see this source..
And if you don't have one.. then i suggest you stop getting mad about us not wanting to pay it..

Yea.. 5 bucks.. Sure.. If thats the price.. Im getting it.. If its 20.. Im getting it.. I'm going to be getting this browser no matter what.. i mean.. Homebrew.. wiichat...there so much in it.. but i don't like how they all of a sudden gave it a price

I wouldn't pay for Opera anyway..

Give me Firefox or give me death!

But really I see no need to surf the web on my game console. It's what my computer is for.

:eek: What if the online gaming wasn't free! Now we all have a very good reason to be thaknksful at thanksgiving! If Nintendo suddenly makes online gaming not free......:mad5:

NeMeZyZ said:
its 5 dollars don't have a fit, atleast online gaming is free
If anyone is having a fit its you..
Im simply trying to say, as i have been the whole time, that it should be free.. As i made clear in my last post.. Im getting it no matter the price.. But you need to be quiet because your the one getting mad..

And maybe some people don't have the five dollars to give out.. Thats why i understand others.. I owe 60$ a month and i only get 80.. So maybe 5 dollars will break the bank..

I also know that others may get slightly ticked that you can easily download it to your computer.. And it should be the same for the wii

omg 5 dollars now i'm poor, who said i was making a fit, its just that theres always someone complainig about something about nintendo and i'm tired of it, first the graphics then the realease date then the movie capbilities then this then that, just shut the **** up and accept it, shyt all ur moaning and complaining ain't gonna help

Back