Wii "Bubble" about to burst?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Wii BubbleMicrosoft says Wii is just a gateway console to prime gamers for bigger and better things, namely Xbox 360! Jeff Bell, Microsoft VP of Marketing implied the message in an interview with 1UP recently, but he's not the only one. Critics of Wii say the rise of the Nintendo console's popularity is a bubble and it's ready to burst.

Bell said of Microsoft's space in the console market:

"We're positioning ourselves to be ready if, in fact, gamers find they're ready to graduate from a certain experience potentially with the Wii, either because it's limited on the type of gameplay that's available or the technology in that box."

Let me translate the marketing speak. Bell is saying Wii's graphics suck and when you're bored of its childish games you'll look for an Xbox 360.

Is Wii a gateway console?

Is it just a primer to get these new casual gamers hooked? Like, let's say marijuana.

The casual gamer gets all giggly with a few tokes of the Wii-mote-bong and next thing you know, spacing out to Super Mario Galaxy doesn't get the endorphins kicking like it used to. Now you need stronger graphics and space-out games like Mass Effect.

The belief that a Wii popularity bubble is about to burst is steeped in the lack of third party publishers finding their games profitable on Wii. Critics charge that these third party games for Wii will eventually go dry. This would leave former Wii gamers walking the streets sunken eyed and emaciated, perhaps wearing tattered trench-coats, begging for an Xbox 360.

It's an interesting speculation and only time will tell. But isn't discounting Nintendo a favorite hobby of Microsoft and Sony?

It seems I remember another time, like 2004, when speculation was that Nintendo might get out of the console market and just peddle its game franchises to other ... ahem... more successful consoles.

Source

Well it looks like if I get another console it'll be a PS3. I'd rather have some crazy guy saying Nintendo stole sphere worlds from Ratchet and Clank than some d-bag telling me Mario Galaxy isn't enough for me and I need a damn 360.

Microsoft is entirely too obnoxious, the reason I wanted a Wii is because I am a hardcore gamer and wanted a change in scenery from the traditional crap their contracted developers throw at the mainstream consoles.

Microsoft should of stuck with computers and let the experts do battle.

I'm still hoping to get a 360, but that isn't going to be for a long while because I'm still enjoying my Wii.
With the last console war, I got the gamecube first and after about two years, I got the Xbox. I'm guessing it's going to be the same this time.

:lol: There's a new thread with Microsoft saying Nintendo is about to flop every day! They've been saying that for months now. Nintendo is prepared for this though. The theory is that these more simplistic games are a step up to more hard core games that Nintendo are soon providing. SSBB, Mario Kart, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess are all hard core games either out or soon to come out. The Wii: 'Come for the Wii Play, stay for the Smash Bros.' Xbox isn't getting any Wii users.

Indeed, I agree Spinty. Another good strategy is how they've laid out all of their releases for at least one major game per quarter to keep Wii owners interested (enough to at least keep their consoles, to say the least).

I don't see how Microsoft would even be in this console "war" if they didn't have COD4, Halo 3 and XBL. They've got some cheek, as I've always stuck with. I do respect their consoles GUI but that doesn't win a war (in my books).

261311 said:
Microsoft is entirely too obnoxious, the reason I wanted a Wii is because I am a hardcore gamer and wanted a change in scenery from the traditional crap their contracted developers throw at the mainstream consoles.

Microsoft should of stuck with computers and let the experts do battle.
Agreed, thats why i want Microsoft to fail next generation, so that they can go back to computers like their supposed to. Sony and Nintendo are the only ones i don't entirely mind.

And another ''Agreed'' to Spinty and again 261311, they were smart to put their games into quarters, Zelda when it came out, then Super Paper Mario/Mario Strikers (not really major games), then Metroid, then Galaxy, Then Brawl (Not sure when mario kart comes out). But after those the third party games are going to start going in, and thats when the wii owners buy wii points for good WiiWare games.

Last edited:
That's mighty cocky of Microsoft to say.

I'll always get their OS, but I'll trust Sony for a number of things more (Runnin' on a Sony Vaio right now.)

Play nice, Microsoft.

Where do you keep finding these biased articles? Are you going to post this crap for the next year or two here? If so I can't wait to leave these forums in March. I won't miss this fan boy BS.

why don't you just leave now? no one asks/wants you to stay. I admit the console wars gets old but its interesting to some people which is probably why brandon posted it.

microsoft-being douches and acting touch trying to bring down other companies
nintendo-taking the insults like a man should, just ignoring them and continuing what they're doing
sony-they just don't seem to care about the whole name calling thing anymore

Well I for one, am a grumpy old phart gamer. Been gaming it for years.
My first system was Pong, back in 1975 before many of you and also these
dweebs who write in gaming mags etc. were even frickin born. Primarily, I retro it whenever possible. Just today I was playing Dreadnaught Factor on an intellivision emulator. Hell, why can't they make simple games anymore? I have madden 08 on computer. I don't play it much because they put so much crap into it. How about pickin a play, hiking the ball and run? Forget about all the juke buttons etc.
And just what is hard core gaming? Playing it for 12 hours or more at a time?
Don't you know that there is a whole world outside waiting to be discovered?
I have a wii for the fact that its a whole new way to play a game. Lets look at wii sports bowling. That game is about as close you can get to the real thing.
I mean, even the pin action is close to being real ( I should know as I am in 3 bowling leagues a week). The tennis is pretty stinkin good too. To me, thats innovative just as was mario bros. when it came out. Same thing with asteroids, pac man, Doom etc. These games were simple in reality. What made them hall of famers was the fact they had a high re-playability factor.
Alot of the stuff today I don't even look at. Alot of fluff but not much re-playability. I also have tiger woods 08 for the wii. It needs a few touches in the graphics dept. and the actual play could use a spruce it but it sort of has that "real" feeling of actually playing a real round. I'm sure developers will get the hang of it and put a little more pure golf swing into.
Anyone remember when the C-64 was king? Many many games for it. And then, alot of the new games were sorta clones of ones before. About that time, the NES came out. The C-64 died out. And before too long, xbox 360 and ps3 will be the same. Once games hit that spot where most of them have the same game play, the 50 to 60 bux you pay for them isn't gonna be worth it.
Anyways, thats my take. I have owned Pong, Fairchild Channel F, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Odessey II, NES, Super NES, NES 64, Sega, C-64, Intellivision, Colecovision, Xbox, Xbox 360, and the Wii. Still have xbox and Wii and of course, my pc. Over the years, most of my faves were on the old sytems. I can still play 'em thru emulation. However, playing wii on a 57 inch big screen
using the wii-mote is really something! On screen players are like life size.
That in my opinion will always keep the wii popular for me. Yeah, I'd like a ps3 but if all they are gonna have is games with alot of graphic fluff, I'll pass. I do like the blu-ray player however.

Lucky...

Back