wii cable question

gregjp48@e

WiiChat Member
Aug 11, 2007
I've been considering whether to get the composite cable or not with my wii when I get it.

I have standard-non HD tv with component inputs. I know when you have an HDTV then it matters a lot, but would there be a noticeable difference on an SDTV (32")?

Alternatively, do the cables that come with the wii include S-Video? I figure if it doesn't make too much of a difference I'd go S-video if it came with it, but if I have to buy the S-Video cables, then I would just get the component.

That aside: is component worth it if you don't have HD?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spyro said:
There is no difference with an SDTV. Only EDTV and HDTV.
I just mean between SD and HD
There is NO difference between how a cable looks on SD and ED as far as picture clarity is concerned. It's all about fluidity and motion being smooth, because of interlacing (or the abscence of it in 480p). 480i and 480p have the same resolution, just different methods of showing each frame (one being compressed). Composite cables themselves are of lesser quality as they go through the TV's comb filter, not giving a true representation of the image, whereas component cables have better color, or something to that effect.

What I meant was, when you have an hdtv, the composite cables look awful, and component is really needed (even if you just set it in 480i it looks better). Is it going to look any better on an SDTV as far as clarity and signal quality, as in, has anyone tried this, and will those changes from switching to a better quality connection show on a screen with less pixels? not the difference between interlaced and progressive frames, because I'm pretty sure my TV is not 480p.

Edit: If you meant unless you have HD, you're not going to notice a difference, okay. I was just saying that having a progressive scan EDTV doesn't do much for the picture clarity as much as the fluidity of motion. It's the connection quality that makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone can answer this question please do since I am in the same situation. Im getting a non-HDTV tomorrow but it does have a composite cable input. Would it look better if I got the upgrade or would it not matter?

Back