Wii Component Cables w/ Olevia 327v HDTV Ready monitor trouble

xtreme1227

WiiChat Member
Aug 16, 2007
Hey all, I just purchased the react component cables from best buy for 25 bucks i hooked them up to my TV and changed the wii settings from sdtv to the hdtv, and i also changed it to widescreen, is there anything else i need to do, b/c the picture quality is not very good. I dont think it is the TV b/c although my particular model is a very low end HDTV, my friend has the same exact model and plays his XBOX360 with the component cables on it and the picture looks awesome, although I am aware that the 360 is beter image quality. Is there something I need to do to my TV or should I get better cables. Im clueless, anyone who could help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you change the settings on your tv? You have to have it set the same way you set your Wii.

In my experience, the Wii just doesn't look as good on low-end LCD TVs. In my last apartment I was using the Wii (with just the included composite video cable) on a 42" Panasonic plasma and it looked great. Then I moved and now it's connected to a 32" JVC LCD tv with the component video cables and it's not as sharp. I blame the TV.

Also check out your friend's video settings on the TV if you haven't already--maybe there's some adjustment to the picture that you need to make (not aspect ratio... I'm assuming you got that right; sharpness perhaps).

It is most likly the TV. In order to fit the 480p image to its native resolution it streatches it and adds pixels. some tvs do it better than others. i play on a 42 inch sharp lcd at my friends and it looks real nice. dying to see metroid on it

I will try the sharpness, and I will give my buddy call and ask him if he did anything special when he hooked up his 360 to it...

xtreme1227 said:
I will try the sharpness, and I will give my buddy call and ask him if he did anything special when he hooked up his 360 to it...
i meant sharp the brand. its a sharp aquos

Kepp in mind that the only thing that the component cable do for you is add the ability to run your Wii in progressive scan mode, but the resolution is the same (480p instead of 480i). This is sometimes referred to as EDTV (Enhanced Definition TV). What you will typically see is a slightly sharper picture with slightly more vibrant colors compared to using the regular composite cables that it comes with.

Back