Wii Component HDTV to VGA!!!!

stock

Wii Gladiator
Dec 28, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Wii Online Code
0899-3813-3193-9083
sorry if it seems im floodin the forums with this topic. i just got a Wii and i wanna get the best image i can outa my projector (its HDTV compatible).

anyways if anyone has experience with this product(below) or knows anything about this type of conversion, please reply. i just hope it can produce an HDTV VGA image from the Wii component cables :p

if anyones interested in helping me research this type of product and its quality, heres the specs.
-for an Ebay reference, 36$ american, and seems like a good converter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Progressive-Component-VGA-Box-Converter-Projector-HDTV_W0QQitemZ320065456042QQihZ011QQcategoryZ64631QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

VGA-Component.jpg

VGA-Component-picture.jpg

Automatic Component Video to VGA adapter. ClearVideo3 is the world’s smallest adapter on the market to "glue" your Component Video (YPrPb) devices, such as progressive DVD players, video games (like Xbox and Game Cube), and HDTV Set Top Boxes, to VGA monitors and projectors. Each unit works with all video formats -- 480p, 720p, 1080i/540p, NTSC, PAL, interlaced, progressive. With our very cost-effective ClearVideo products, you get crystal-clear processing and you can actually drive two VGA monitors from each unit, with cable lengths up to 50 feet.

KEY FEATURES:
• Enables display of progressive DVD players or Component Video HDTV set top boxes on VGA monitors and projectors.
• Automatic formats - 480p, 720p, 1080i/540p.
• Drives two VGA monitors.
• Enables display of XBOX games at 480p, 720p, 1080i/540p on standard VGA monitors and projectors.
• Compatible with XBOX game machine component AV pack adapter.

KEY BENEFITS:
• Compatible with all progressive DVD players.
• Compatible with all Component Video HDTV set top boxes.
• Horizontal image centering adjustment.
• Crystal clear display.
• World's smallest adapter on the market.
• Compatible with all NTSC and PAL interlaced and progressive formats in auto mode.
• Drives cable up to 50 feet.
• Cost effective.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

Video Inputs:
• One Component Video (YPrPb) input.
• Three RCA color-coded jacks.
• 1 V p-p @ 75 Ohm terminated.
• Composite Sync on “Y”.

Accepted Scanning:
Manual Mode:
• 60 Hz refresh: 480p, 1080i/540p, 720p.

Auto Mode:
• 50 Hz or 60 Hz refresh: 480P, 1080i/540p, 720p.
• Input and Outputs same scanning format.

Color Space conversion:
• HDTV Colorimetry Matrix.

Bandwidth:
• -3 Db at 110 MHz.

Output Sync:
• Positive H&V, TTL.
• Negative H&V, TTL.
• H Drive or Composite sync on H.

Adjustment:
• Horizontal centering/brightness.
• One small flat screwdriver driven potentiometer.

Video Outputs:
• Two independent RGBHV outputs (DB15 output ports) R, G and B: 0.7 V p-p,75 Ohm terminated at source.
• Sync on G and H&V.

Last edited:
bump :eek:

basically, would this enable HDTV mode for my Wii on my projector? i just want better quality. RCA aint doin it for me. still looks ok but id like it to produce a HDTV image, through a better input (at least close to it). VGA has always looked better then all the other inputs on my projector.

This thing won't give you better quality I'm afraid, all it does is convert the signal from component to VGA. The source is still 480p, and you'd probably notice some quality loss due to conversion.

This can be useful if you want to use a pc monitor instead of a tv, but it will not improve picture quality.

well currently im using the basic RCA that came with the system. so id still recieve no change, boost? i aint even using HD quality now, just default.

ah well. thanks again for the info, i gotta find another way.

If you're using a composite cable then component will definitely give you a boost. But unless you have to, don't use that converter, you'll get best results that way - keep in mind though that it won't be HD as Wii is not capable of producing HD resolution.

Last edited:
i guess what i mean is EDTV 480p. would id allow me to display at that setting.

your info is helpin me alot still. thank you good sir :p

You're welcome :)

Wii lets you enable 480p mode in display options if you've got a component cable hooked up, so it should work.

I've got one for use with my Gamecube (480p with qoob pro). It works well, not on my monitor because on my monitor the colours looked washed out, but its just a converter so looks good. If you cant get it working properly at first, dont worry, theres loads of different settings on it with little dip switches. P.S. it doesnt upscale anything, it will still be a 480p signal into your tv, not hd.

well of course. i aint expecting any upscaling. just want it at a higher quality mode(480p EDTV) with VGA output to my projector which supports it. the reg RCA aint to hot lookin if you know what i mean :\

anyways wicked, loving all the advice. thanks

Last edited:
Damn these things... are expensive! Do you guys know if best buy sells these things?!

I have one. I got it off of ebay. It works great on my 19inch lcd monitor. The picture quailty is a 100% improvement over a composite connection and the colors don't look washed out at all. I would buy it again in a second. The unit works great bottom line.

it only says 480p but ya never know :eek:ut: i mean it allows 1080i :x

480p, 1080i/540p, 720p are the specs. the Wii only has a settings for 480p anyways. the rest is up to your TV.

g_00000877.jpg

so basically this does the same job as the adapter or switch i posted? cept for DVI? seems kinda small to convert an HD signal from the Wii to DVI HD.
it says it does but i dont know. its hard to trust anything without actual proof or testing, or reviews from the people.

thats why i, and many others are askin on the forums for people with experience. i know Wii is new but the concept of conversion is the same.

what most of us on the forums are asking is, wether it be for TFT 19" monitors, projectors, etc, can we Convert the HDTV component cables that the Wii has into something that our display device can use as an input, since not all HD compatible displays have Component. (provided the display device can handle HD signals).

main question is would this conversion work or would it need a 150+$ scaler/box. personally i think the scaler is just a box to convert a regular signal INTO HD. im hearing alot of points of view but still aint 100% yet, as most of us here. the Wii in a sense is the Box that sends the HD signal, just need a simple converter, cable1 to cable2.

this post refers to any kind of conversion, not just VGA. S-Video and DVI HD cables too for those who need. As well as other systems, like Xbox360 and PS3, altho i think ill get flamed for using the ps3 word here ;)

anyways this is still an interesting topic for research about. i hope this post isnt to much of a novel, bored at school :p :zzz:

moral of the story, the research continues :idea:

Last edited:
Back