Wii connected to PC?

rollen

WiiChat Member
Feb 25, 2008
Was wondering if there was a way or cheap item that I can buy that can channel my pc and wii on one LCD flat panel monitor. I'm looking into setting up my wii right next to my pc for comfort and being able to talk with friends on vent while we play wii. Only solution i found was a VGA converter box that runs from 100-150 dollars. cheapest i found was on ebay for 60 dollars. Wanted to know if any one has attempted this and if they have a cheap method. I have a Geforce 8600 GTS card if that helps any.

Shadow3401 said:

What's your problem? Last I remember I haven't done anything to you for that random comment.

Graphic card has nothing to do with your monitor at all. Even if you are able to successfully connect your Wii to your LCD monitor the graphics card will have no impact on the Wii.

T3kNi9e said:
Graphic card has nothing to do with your monitor at all. Even if you are able to successfully connect your Wii to your LCD monitor the graphics card will have no impact on the Wii.

Well it does in some way theres some adapters for the video cards I dunno if any can actually recieve video feed and play it on a second desktop. That's why I'm asking dunno if any one ever tried that and actually got it to work >_<

My computer has front-panel audio and video RCA inputs. In a moment of motivation, I dragged the Wii across the room and plugged its outputs into those inputs and...nothing. Turns out I need to install an application capable of importing analog video from the front jack. Bah.

My computer also has a TV tuner card. It's only got 75-ohm F connectors for antennas or cable, and an S-video input, but many cards have an RCA input for composite video. If I had an S-video cable for my Wii (which is only nine bucks or so) I could presumably plug it into that and see the Wii through Windows Media Center, but since it's a bit after midnight and no place is open at the moment to sell me said cable, I halted testing. :)

If all you want is to display the image from your Wii on your computer monitor, one of the composite to VGA adapters as posted above seems like it should work. If you want the Wii image to be in a window on your desktop, though, you'll need to go the TV tuner card route (or a video capture card, which is likely to be more expensive and harder to find).

Damn delay if you weren't a total stranger I would kiss you. Thanks this totally answered my question I'll tree these methods out. On my video card I have a s-video port and the s-video cable that came with it will this work if I plug it in that way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

found this really cheap one if any one was interested. dunno the quality though I heard some vga boxes go bad after a few months use.

Last edited:
My Wii is connected to a 20.1" Widescreen PC Monitor (VGA D-sub connection). I use the KWorld TVBox 1680ex to connect the Wii and other video components to this monitor.

$62 after shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815260010R&ATT=15-260-010R&CMP=OTC-Froogle&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Devices+++TV+Tuners-_-Kworld+Computer+Co.+Ltd-_-15260010R

It supports 1080p audio, HD-TV tuner, Svideo, and RCA, etc.

See Spoiler for SPECS!
:yesnod:

Model Brand document.write(neg_specification_newline('KWORLD')); KWORLD Model document.write(neg_specification_newline('KW-SA220')); KW-SA220 Specifications TV Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes FM Tuner document.write(neg_specification_newline('No')); No Remote Control document.write(neg_specification_newline('Yes')); Yes Interface document.write(neg_specification_newline('VGA')); VGA Video Display document.write(neg_specification_newline('800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050')); 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050 Ports In document.write(neg_specification_newline('Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); Composite video input (RCA)
S-Video input (4PIN)
YPbPr input (RCA)
VGA input
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) Ports Out document.write(neg_specification_newline('D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm)')); D-SUB output
Composite video output
Mini jack (stereo) (3.5mm) System Requirements document.write(neg_specification_newline('No specific PC system required
LCD, CRT, Plasma or projectors with VGA or Component Video input
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.)')); No specific PC system required
LCD, CRT, Plasma or projectors with VGA or Component Video input
Video input device (e.g. VCR, V8, DVD player, TV game console etc.) Specifications document.write(neg_specification_newline('Power: 5V DC, 800mA')); Power: 5V DC, 800mA Features Features document.write(neg_specification_newline('Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
*Compatible with (VGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), SXGA(1280x1024), WXGA+(1440X900), 1680X1050
Includes advanced scanning frequency increasing technology to make the refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz, which delivers stable pictures without flicker.
Supports 4:3/16:9 / 16:10 picture aspect ratio.
Allows multi-channel pre-view function to facilitate the channel selection.
Enables still-picture function, which allows you to capture wonderful moments in TV program.
Special PIP function: window size and position are adjustable. (*PIP Mode can’t work on 1680x1050)
Full-function remote control.
3D-effect OSD to give easy operations.
AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using MMI cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I).
Auxiliary functions such as automatic power up or shutdown within 24 hours, calendar, calculator, game and etc.
Channel number ordering function allows you to arrange the order of programs as your favorites.
PC/TV changeover switch.
Support video output function.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers')); Supports widescreen LCD 1680x1050 resolution LCD TV Box
*Compatible with (VGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), SXGA(1280x1024), WXGA+(1440X900), 1680X1050
Includes advanced scanning frequency increasing technology to make the refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz, which delivers stable pictures without flicker.
Supports 4:3/16:9 / 16:10 picture aspect ratio.
Allows multi-channel pre-view function to facilitate the channel selection.
Enables still-picture function, which allows you to capture wonderful moments in TV program.
Special PIP function: window size and position are adjustable. (*PIP Mode can’t work on 1680x1050)
Full-function remote control.
3D-effect OSD to give easy operations.
AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using MMI cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I).
Auxiliary functions such as automatic power up or shutdown within 24 hours, calendar, calculator, game and etc.
Channel number ordering function allows you to arrange the order of programs as your favorites.
PC/TV changeover switch.
Support video output function.
Built in Speaker so there is no need for external speakers

I thought $50 was cheap for a box...

I'm using the XCM box, and have been for a while now with no complaints:

Here it is on my desk:

1080box-002.png

Wii OS:

1080box-001.png

Metroid Prime 3:

metroid-juggling.png

Here's something quick I found on the specs that may interest you: Link

hmmm nice i like these boxes i think i'll save up for them instead of buying a cheap one that will just fail me.

Back