Wii connects for 10-15 seconds about 20 times an hour

jcostom

WiiChat Member
May 6, 2009
This is just curious behavior. Our Wii is located about 15 feet from our Wifi AP, and has excellent signal strength.

The weird part is that it connects to the AP, stays connected for 10-15 seconds, then disconnects. This happens at seemingly random intervals, 15-20 times per hour.

If anyone wants to see, here's the log data, as the AP sends to my syslog server:

May 6 19:54:19 rivendell 80211: Disassociated with station 00:1d:bc:65:52:af
May 6 19:54:05 rivendell 80211: Installed unicast CCMP key for supplicant 00:1d:bc:65:52:af
May 6 19:54:05 rivendell 80211: Associated with station 00:1d:bc:65:52:af

May 6 19:53:17 rivendell 80211: Disassociated with station 00:1d:bc:65:52:af
May 6 19:53:05 rivendell 80211: Installed unicast CCMP key for supplicant 00:1d:bc:65:52:af
May 6 19:53:05 rivendell 80211: Associated with station 00:1d:bc:65:52:af

May 6 19:44:16 rivendell 80211: Disassociated with station 00:1d:bc:65:52:af
May 6 19:44:05 rivendell 80211: Installed unicast CCMP key for supplicant 00:1d:bc:65:52:af
May 6 19:44:05 rivendell 80211: Associated with station 00:1d:bc:65:52:af

Like I said, strange behavior. As you can see, it's not exactly a regular interval even. Everything works fine. We can play Mario Kart online, download content, use the opera browser, etc. It's just annoying to see the thing creating this much log data. I've actually got a nearby switch that I can connect it to and go wired with it, but I'd rather not drop the cash on the Ethernet adapter if I don't have to...

Any thoughts? For those who care further, attached is a screenshot from splunk showing the disassociate events.

Attachments

• dis.png
    dis.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 232
does this happen when the wii is in standby mode? (yellow LED power light).
does this happen while playing offline games?

how does it look during mario kart online?

does this happen when the wii is in standby mode? (yellow LED power light).
does this happen while playing offline games?

how does it look during mario kart online?

Yes, the connect/disconnect behavior is when the wii is in standby mode. When playing mario kart online, it associates with the AP, gets an IP assigned from the dhcp server and works as you'd expect, no disconnects.

When playing offline, it doesn't seem to happen either. In other words, it stays disconnected.

It's WiiConnect24.

Because you have the Wii setup to go into standby instead of off, WiiConnect will connect randomly to the servers to check for messages.

If you don't want to see those random connections, turn off standby connection. You can leave WiiConnect on, and it will check for messages when you turn the Wii on.

The power light will turn red when the Wii is turned off and standby is turned off.

It's WiiConnect24.

Because you have the Wii setup to go into standby instead of off, WiiConnect will connect randomly to the servers to check for messages.

If you don't want to see those random connections, turn off standby connection. You can leave WiiConnect on, and it will check for messages when you turn the Wii on.

The power light will turn red when the Wii is turned off and standby is turned off.

Ok, I'll give that a look tonight after I get home from work. Thanks for the suggestion..

Back