Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii controller and RSI

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by tallforadwarf, May 15, 2006.

1. tallforadwarf

tallforadwarf WiiChat Member

Hey!

*First Post*

I'm looking forward to the Wii - I'm sure it's going to rock. I'm excited about all those downloadable classic games too!
    I am however a little worried about how much work it's going to be using the controller over a long period of time. I don't get to play games often, but when I get time off work I like to chill out with a mamoth game session of 4+ hours.
    Is the Wii controller going to be light enough for extended play or am I going to end up with a *huge* right arm and RSI? ;)

I'm interested in what you all think!

Peace,
    tfad

2. Jesse

Jesse Protector of Hyrule

Wii Friend Code: 7219-3868-1848-6260
    7219-3868-1848-6260
    I think you're gonna end up with a massive right arm lol, J/K. I really don't know.

3. SolidusRaccoon

SolidusRaccoon Philosopher

Well then you can enter arm wrestling contests towin more money to buy more Wii games, and you arm will keep getting bigger, letting you win more money to buy more games. And so on.

4. Riviet

Riviet WiiChat Veteran

Wii Friend Code: 3388-6355-5969-8398
    3388-6355-5969-8398
    From the videos/pics, it doesn't appear to look heavy, I'm sure Nintendo would try to make it as light as possible to enhance game experience.

5. tallforadwarf

Hey!

Thanks - yeah I think it will be as light as they can make it too. But so are lightguns. And Virtua Cop gets to be hard on the arms after just one stage. Or am I just feeble? ;P I'd love it if someone could point me to some sort of official statement on this. I can imagine the law suits already. People seem to sue the gaming industry for anything. Slip on your skateboard? Sue the Tony Hawk dev. team and Sony! Crash your car? Take Sega Rally to court... Urg...

;P

Peace,
    tfad

6. tallforadwarf

(Virtua Cop? Sega Rally? - Goodness I'm showing my age!)

7. Jesse

7219-3868-1848-6260
    I believe Nintendo will iron put any doubts in the Wiimote so I dont think there is anythiing to worry about.

8. andreas221

andreas221 WiiChat Member

Well they do say that the wiimote will take DD batteries, and that it is about as heavy as a DS, but the numchuk attatchment is about as heavy as a normal SNES controller.

9. Jesse

7219-3868-1848-6260
    Wow that may give you two massive arms tallforadwarf. I would hope that it could be a bit lighter then that.

10. Riviet

Riviet WiiChat Veteran

Wii Friend Code: 3388-6355-5969-8398
    3388-6355-5969-8398
    Haha, well I guess the controller and Wiimote might give us a bit of a work out, after all, I don't really mind it. :D

11. Pit

Pit Kid Icarus

Hey guys, keep in mind that little kids will be playing this system, so I don't imagine it is going to be too taxing to play for hours on end. :)

12. Jesse

7219-3868-1848-6260
    True, very true. I dont think Nintendo would make there Wiimote were a child couldnt pick up the controller. Nintendo is a gamer friendly company. They appeal to all gamers.

13. tallforadwarf

Ikes! That sounds like quite the work out. A DS weighs about as much as my multi-format lightgun, actually probably a bit more. And that's heavy enough. A DS in one hand; and another controller in the other (but the SNES pad is light). That's almost TWICE what we're used to! Wow!
    But I'm still going for a Wii at the moment - looks much better than the competition.

Peace,
    tfad

14. yami_riku

yami_riku Nintendo loyalist

The thing that i worry about is exactly how repeditive games will be. For example, in a game where you might need to flick the controller up to jump (assuming you jump alot) that one task will become very taxing after hours of play. Does this mean that developers need to consider RSI when making games or will people be limited in the amout of time they can comfotable play the games.

#14 yami_riku, May 19, 2006
    Last edited: May 19, 2006
  15. glassonion914

glassonion914 WiiChat Member

DD batteries? I've never heard of a DD, if you're thinking D battery though - no way nintendo is using those. The wavebird uses two AA if I remember, never had to change mine as I use the wired mostly. I'd expect to see a couple of AAs in the wii-mote. Anyone got evidence to the contrary?

16. The true Link

The true Link Hero of time

i just cant wait for the new controler and i dout it will leave u with one arm bigger than the other but who know it might

17. phimuajedi69

phimuajedi69 WiiChat Member

of you're really worried about it switch hands for a while, the controller is designed symmetrically so people can use either hand

18. The true Link

The true Link Hero of time

lol but knowin me i will think is 2 much efort swiching hands..... im 2 lazy sometimes

19. tuned

tuned 11.19.06

It'll up our endurance, not our muscles. :lol: (seriously though) Nothing from the Wii remote would be heavy enough to give us exaggerated muscle growth. But at the same time it'll be difficult for Nintendo to produce a very light controller with such sophisticated sensors in each controller. It's only a matter of time for the remote/nunchuck to get lighter and more responsive.

Try swinging a ds around or a few hours and see if you see any burn! :lol: Not likely... :p

20. Rsrichards2nd

Rsrichards2nd WiiChat Member

Lol VirtuaCop, we used to have hours and hour long sessions on that thing. Switching Out ever so often.

I do hope that playing for too long won't be a workout. THAT is the only thing that bothers me about the Wii. My Wife and Kids and I sometimes play 30 - 50 round games of Mario Party and my hands get tired from hitting the A button so much. Sore arms, wrists, shoulders after an hour or so wouldnt be cool.