Wii controller and RSI

tallforadwarf

WiiChat Member
May 15, 2006
Hey!

*First Post*

I'm looking forward to the Wii - I'm sure it's going to rock. I'm excited about all those downloadable classic games too!
I am however a little worried about how much work it's going to be using the controller over a long period of time. I don't get to play games often, but when I get time off work I like to chill out with a mamoth game session of 4+ hours.
Is the Wii controller going to be light enough for extended play or am I going to end up with a *huge* right arm and RSI? ;)

I'm interested in what you all think!

Peace,
tfad

I think you're gonna end up with a massive right arm lol, J/K. I really don't know.

Well then you can enter arm wrestling contests towin more money to buy more Wii games, and you arm will keep getting bigger, letting you win more money to buy more games. And so on.

From the videos/pics, it doesn't appear to look heavy, I'm sure Nintendo would try to make it as light as possible to enhance game experience.

Hey!

Thanks - yeah I think it will be as light as they can make it too. But so are lightguns. And Virtua Cop gets to be hard on the arms after just one stage. Or am I just feeble? ;P I'd love it if someone could point me to some sort of official statement on this. I can imagine the law suits already. People seem to sue the gaming industry for anything. Slip on your skateboard? Sue the Tony Hawk dev. team and Sony! Crash your car? Take Sega Rally to court... Urg...

;P

Peace,
tfad

I believe Nintendo will iron put any doubts in the Wiimote so I dont think there is anythiing to worry about.

andreas221 said:
Well they do say that the wiimote will take DD batteries, and that it is about as heavy as a DS, but the numchuk attatchment is about as heavy as a normal SNES controller.

Wow that may give you two massive arms tallforadwarf. I would hope that it could be a bit lighter then that.

Haha, well I guess the controller and Wiimote might give us a bit of a work out, after all, I don't really mind it. :D

Pit said:
Hey guys, keep in mind that little kids will be playing this system, so I don't imagine it is going to be too taxing to play for hours on end. :)

True, very true. I dont think Nintendo would make there Wiimote were a child couldnt pick up the controller. Nintendo is a gamer friendly company. They appeal to all gamers.

andreas221 said:
Well they do say that the wiimote will take DD batteries, and that it is about as heavy as a DS, but the numchuk attatchment is about as heavy as a normal SNES controller.

Ikes! That sounds like quite the work out. A DS weighs about as much as my multi-format lightgun, actually probably a bit more. And that's heavy enough. A DS in one hand; and another controller in the other (but the SNES pad is light). That's almost TWICE what we're used to! Wow!
But I'm still going for a Wii at the moment - looks much better than the competition.

Peace,
tfad

The thing that i worry about is exactly how repeditive games will be. For example, in a game where you might need to flick the controller up to jump (assuming you jump alot) that one task will become very taxing after hours of play. Does this mean that developers need to consider RSI when making games or will people be limited in the amout of time they can comfotable play the games.

Last edited:
DD batteries? I've never heard of a DD, if you're thinking D battery though - no way nintendo is using those. The wavebird uses two AA if I remember, never had to change mine as I use the wired mostly. I'd expect to see a couple of AAs in the wii-mote. Anyone got evidence to the contrary?

Back