Wii controller issues with Wii Sports

rick13mul

WiiChat Member
Feb 16, 2008
I have recently been having problems when trying to play wii sports. My controller is not being read by the games, so I cannot swing a bat or racket or club or bowl, however in boxing I can use the nunchuk to hit with my left but my right hand does nothing. I can use the nunchuk just fine in Mario galaxy, but not in Wii sports. Has anyone else encountered this issue or know what may be happening?

sounds like the accelerometer in the Wii-mote itself is bad...

Every game on Wii-sports , bowling,tennis,baseball,golf all use this function of the wiimote the boxing uses a combo of acceleromerte from the nunchuck and the wii-mote. That is why you can't do anything on sports but hit with the left "nun chuck" hand.

Also why galaxy is fine it doesn't really need that fuction you just use the IR pointer, the buttons, and nunchuck control pad.
I would call up or e-mail nintendo they will probably rush out a replacement, untill the it would be a good time to grab a spare

i agree with what wezels said..it probably wont help, but you might try unplugging the power cord from the wii and removing batteries from the remote. Then plug the Wii back in, and put batteries back into the remote. Power up the Wii, and Sync the controller to the console. If you dont know how to do that then:
Open the door where you insert a SD card for storage. Press the little red button, then press the red button on the back of the remote by the batteries.

But like Wezels said, its most likely the accelerometer. So just call Nintendo and tell them your problem. BUT, if you bought the remote seperate, then just find your receipt and return it to where ever you bought it from.

this is your solution... you may have to try several times. :yesnod::yesnod:

If your remote is not sensing movement of your arm swings then the motion sensors (called accelerators) inside the Remote are stuck. This is a rare condition, I've only had to do this on one remote and the following is the solution if you were to call Nintendo Tech Support:
  • it's hard to believe :)
    • lie the remote in your palm flat-side down
    • take your other hand and whack it real hard several times
    • avoid hitting the battery door and trigger button
    • if it's not fixed, try again... you'll get it.
From frankwhite:

Thank You. I ended up having to call Nintendo which tells me its a known issue... then tells me to hold remote upside down in right hand place left hand 4 inches above the remote and give her a good whack. ((( I actually started to laugh and ask if he was serious)))
anyhow it worked after the 7th whack.

So you were right thanks for the help.
Yep I have my Wii remote working now....

Back