Wii controllers - - controlling the industry?

indiemike

The old and wise gamer
Jun 26, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Wii Online Code
8999-0217-8484-2180
Remember back in the NES days, where you could play a game using a glove, gun, power pad, or a standard controller?
Remember when SNES introduced a mouse to use with Mario Paint? Remember when all of this dwindled to specific games, with DDR having its own pad, and Guitar Hero working on a guitar-like controller?

It seems like gaming companies have started taking their peripherals for granted, and Nintendo is obviously coming back.

Up until this year's E3, it's seemed to me like everything with the Wii has been based around its motion-sensing remote. I had no idea that Nintendo wanted to take me back to the days of World Class Track Meet, and then some.

Now Nintendo is talking about a "new power pad," one that senses the distributed pressure of your body to a "T." They've announced new attachments and control-ideas, like a light-gun and a steering wheel.

The question is... will any of this matter in the long run? Are we going to see these controllers be devoted to a few games, and contribute little to the advancement of the Wii, or can all of these peripherals, like the Classic Controller and Nunchuk, be used to help us experience a broad array of games in new and exciting ways?

I, for one, can't wait to see new games roll out with support for the Classic Controller. This could potentially allow me to use a single system for my button mashing, and my arm flailing.

I miss that bazooka thing for the SNES

edit: Light guns and steering wheels are already available from 3rd parties

a. I recognize that there are third party light gun attachments and steering wheels available, I'm talking about moreso the first party products that aren't necessarily just attachments.
b. Yes, SOME of these are just pieces of plastic. I admit that what I meant to say isn't slightly what I said. What I mean is emphasizing the importance of peripherals.

Wouldn't it be wise of Nintendo to make a controller out of the steering wheel attachment? Or should they just keep it as an attachment?

I think that it would be cool to see more than just a new power pad as a peripheral, and not a bunch of "add-ons" to my remote that I will probably never buy because I know they do nothing.

Then again... I'm sure many wouldn't want to buy extra controllers for money knowing that they do nothing extra compared to the wii remote. Right?

Rosbaughcr said:
I miss that bazooka thing for the SNES

edit: Light guns and steering wheels are already available from 3rd parties

Having purchased a Super Scope when they first came out, I am offended by the phrase "bazooka thing" :(

I can't wait to play Mario Kart with a wheel and Wii Fit with that funky looking balance board.
I can see lots of games using both of those. Boxing with the fit board as well as the nunchuck and remote could be interesting..

Speaking of contollers...

I'm in Western, Australia, Perth... Anyone know where you can buy Gamecube genuine controllers and memory cards? Either a shop u can walk into or online... i've tried doing a search and have found nothing... any ideas?

bubs said:
Speaking of contollers...

I'm in Western, Australia, Perth... Anyone know where you can buy Gamecube genuine controllers and memory cards? Either a shop u can walk into or online... i've tried doing a search and have found nothing... any ideas?
speaking of controllers....

stay on topic. why dont you go to a wal mart or a game stop or a whatever they have in austrailia.

TortillaChip520 said:
speaking of controllers....

stay on topic. why dont you go to a wal mart or a game stop or a whatever they have in austrailia.
hhhaaaahahaha:lol: :lol: :lol:

paintba||er said:
But none of these things besides the Wii fitness pad thing actually do anything. They are just useless pieces of plastic.

pieces of plastic that make it easyer XD but that's about all they do, other than the new zapper coming out, or the other one I posted on the nintendo zapper thread.. it's kinda useless to buy the steering wheel thats out now. im sure the newer one most likeley will be different.. and if it isn't that just sucks :lol:

well if it comes with the console, than i'm not complaining

however unless i have nothing better to spend my money(which i'm trying to save up fora car) i'm not going to buy it

Back