wii cooling fan worth the cash?

zachp18

me two game systems below
Mar 4, 2007
The land of 10,000 lakes
Wii Online Code
6651-9695-6213-2367
I've been thinking about purchasing the wii cooling fan, but am not sure it will make that much of a difference. So for all the people who own on could you say how you like or dislike the fan? And please say if it really makes a difference with the temp. with the wii.

zach

The cooling fans I've seen are the same size as the fan built into the system so I don't see how this would actually help.

I had mine on for 8 hours the other day and it wasn't that warm at all. So in my opinion its a waste of money. BUt thats just that....my opinion.

zachp18 said:
I've been thinking about purchasing the wii cooling fan, but am not sure it will make that much of a difference.
What kind of difference are you looking for? The only difference I know they make is the extra noise.

The Wii is designed to work perfectly well without one. Save your money.

ciper said:
What kind of difference are you looking for? The only difference I know they make is the extra noise.
a difference such as making it cooler, because my wii gets pretty warm sometimes.:scared:

I just got this http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802630 from my local gamestop for $10 ( all the boxes were really messed up - looked opened, but w/e its fine ) it's only been on for an hour now but i've already noticed the temperature on my wii while on standby with connect24 on it is cooler...
Im guessing once I start playing, it will cool down completely along with the internal fan and never again warm up even while on standby.

The fan is very silent unless you put your ear next to it, it doesn't really do much but it works, the lights are nice they match along with the seethrough stand which is also neat and very stable.
Besides it can't be much louder than my computer which is always running and is 3 feet away from it :)

I bought one because lately I've noticed mine getting really hot while on standby ( which made me worry - although I've had mine on standby since Nov 19 and its always been warm)
But I rather have mine nice an cool rather than regretting it in a couple of months...

All in all I think it's worth the $10 as long it keeps my Wii cool while its on standby.

Last edited:
well the Wii dosnt really over heat....it may get warm but it really dosnt harm the console at the least bit. Dont get it....there really isnt any reason to unless your own fan dosnt work.

People just like the lights.:frown2:

I got the GameStop one for $10 too. It does cool down the Wii a little bit. I think it depends on the heat generated by each unit and the ambient temperature to see whether you want a cooler. My Wii was pretty warm (~50C on the outside) before I got that cooler. Now it is at mid-40s. Not a big difference but it does make me feel more comfortable. Nevertheless, I don't think it worths the original price of $20, while $10 is a reasonable deal.
My fan is also very quiet too. I guess there may be a batch to batch difference in noise level.

Cooler != better

In fact I could argue the fans cool the Wii too fast and cause solder joints to crack over time. Thats why many televisions and car electronics fail after years of use.

ciper said:
Cooler != better

In fact I could argue the fans cool the Wii too fast and cause solder joints to crack over time. Thats why many televisions and car electronics fail after years of use.

C'mon. It will never go below ambient temperature unless you use a Peltier Effect cooler. This fan can only drop a few degree at most.

i really wouldnt worry unless you keep it in a really small space w/ no room to vent. unless it's between the tv, the wall, and the shelf, i don't think u'd need it.

billcsho said:
C'mon. It will never go below ambient temperature unless you use a Peltier Effect cooler. This fan can only drop a few degree at most.
I never said to drop below ambient, I said it would cool faster as in after its reached highest normal operating temperature while playing.

As the fan run continuously, would it just affect the equilibrium and accumulate less heat rather than cooling down faster? :yesnod:

I have not heard of many instances of the Wii over heating. It is a very well made system. *knock on wood*

Back