Wii Cost

ComaDaw

WiiChat Member
Sep 22, 2006
I do not understand why Americans are constantly saying on forums how the Wii is overpriced. The Wii costs £180 in the UK (where I live), which is $330 in the US. Even I don't think that the Wii in the UK is overpriced becuase of the technology that it comes with. You don't expect Nintendo to sell the Wii at a loss do you?

Even controller wise, the Wii remote costs £30, $55, and the nunchuk costs $25. So in the Uk we are paying $80 per controller, and even then, I think this is reasonable when you think about tech the controllers include.

Games for the Wii in the UK cost £40, which is $75.

So think about this before you start whining about how the Wii is so ridiculously overpriced.

Well, it's just that if Nintendo would price their console at $200, a lot more people would buy it because for many, there is a mental barrier for spending over $200. Nintendo probably wouldn't lose any money (although there is always a loss when making a game console) but actually come out even or make quite a profit. Personally, I don't mind $250 that much if it were the actual price, but it's not. With tax, it's like $270 and then if you want to buy a second controller, you have to fork over like $70!

is nintendo selling the wii above the development costs? Im pretty sure they lose money on the systems they sell, and then charge more for the accessories, so they eventually make more then the development costs.

Games for the Wii in the UK cost £40, which is $75.

Im pretty sure they are going to be £30 (heard people saying that)

£33 - 39, if I remember from the official release. They will make a profit on the console, but not as much as on accessories.

Well, the thing is, pretty much every currency is the same in the world. Lets say this, our $1 is = $1.5 in pounds. But, we spend more $1 and you guys spend less pounds. So like Japan who's say 1000 yen = to $1, they spend much more yen than we spend $1, so everything is equal. So we can all complain about the price.

I think its more because we have all been fed rumours saying it would be cheaper for the last 6 months. When nintendo announced it would be below $250 people automatically expected it to be a lot less than that. Its like those god awful dfs ads saying this couch is less than £3000 then it says something like £2999.

Similarly a lot of Uk wii buyers were expecting £150 as that was what everyone "in the know" had estimated it would be.

People who havent waited on the internet for the last 6 months will just see it being cheaper than the 360 / ps3 and be drawn in by that, especially unknowledgable parents looking for that perfect gift for their little darlings. It could of course work the opposite way and people say its cheaper than the 360 / ps3 therefore it must be worse than them.

I have to agree. I loved the idea that they weren't even trying to compete with XBox360 and PS3 and were catering to a different demographic with their price and content.

They price, when you add a second controller set . . . is suspiciously nearer to the price of the 360 and the PS3.

The concepts behind the Wii that I heard . . . the ones that excited me . . . that it was cheaper . . . almost like a secondary machine you could buy with either the PS3 or the 360. For that price how could you say no?

To say that it would be cheaper than 250 then pop a 249.99 price tag on it feels shady to me. Sorry.

My wife was already frowning at me when I mentioned buying a gaming system. $200 was quite a bit easier to sell than $250. After mentioning the higher price, she just glares at me.

I had the ideas of quality and economy when I heard about the Wii . . . now I just hope for quality because my concepts of economy have been stretched.

JCpackers05 said:
Hey thanks for putting it as americans are whiners you fag.....more than americans are complaining about the price so dont just single us out....idiot
Why do you have to take things so seriously? Obviously he wanted a bit of a debate and he's gotten one. Please don't use terms like "fag." I'm not gay, but my cousin is and she's my best friend. Idiot is better I guess, but why not just state your opinion without putting others down?

Blah

I wouldn't be too offended. As the Limey referred to us as Yanks, fag is simply a coffin nail or smoke.

It's all semantics and it's all very unimportant. I've had so much PC crap poored on me through my years in the USAF and my six years in college that I'm about to puke.

Sometimes people say that other people are "gay" but it doesn't mean that they are homosexual. It's evolved into something else for the current generation. I hate the politically correct mess our nation has become.

Cheers,

JD

JCpackers05 said:
i apologize for using those terms.....i was offended
Thanks for appologizing.:) I was afraid I was gonna get flammed, so thanks for being nice.

I don't know why this guy thinks a lot of Americans are whining about the price? I haven't seen many people complain about it at all, especially when they consider the cost of the Xbox 360, PS3, or a gaming PC.

JeremyDay said:
I wouldn't be too offended. As the Limey referred to us as Yanks, fag is simply a coffin nail or smoke.

It's all semantics and it's all very unimportant. I've had so much PC crap poored on me through my years in the USAF and my six years in college that I'm about to puke.

Sometimes people say that other people are "gay" but it doesn't mean that they are homosexual. It's evolved into something else for the current generation. I hate the politically correct mess our nation has become.

Cheers,

JD
Yeah, fag used to be just a term for a cigarette, but now it's used as a derogatory term for gay people. People who use it usually have never been friends with a gay or lesbian and are sometimes, unfortunately, homophobic.

You do know cigarettes were called fags because way back gays and lesbians were burned at the stake for their sexual preferences, don't you? Why can't people say things are f***ed up or that's bull sh*t, instead of using terms that single out and make fun of a certain culture?

Sorry, way off topic.

Last edited:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fag

The definition doesn't seem to be derogative? What? I don't understand. /friendly sarcasm

I hate to do it. But the remarks earlier drive me crazy. If you are going to look at the geneology or general meanings of a word, dig a little.

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/qx/fag-coat-arms.htm

Maybe fag is just a short form of fagot (which is indeed the origins of the word fag as a cigarette)?

Fagot is defined here:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=fagot&x=0&y=0

Fag as a cigarette has nothing to do with faggot (which was a derogatory word towards women and children before it was used to denote someone as homosexual). Fag is related to fagot (for obvious reason, if you know the definition).

Next you will tell me I should refrain from using the word niggardly or, even, mulato.

IN SHORT, fag as a cigarette has nothing to do with burning people at the stake. Gay or otherwise.

Niggardly, by the way, means stingy.

Last edited:
Back