Wii Cost

JeremyDay said:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fag

The definition doesn't seem to be derogative? What? I don't understand. /friendly sarcasm

I hate to do it. But the remarks earlier drive me crazy. If you are going to look at the geneology or general meanings of a word, dig a little.

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/qx/fag-coat-arms.htm

Maybe fag is just a short form of fagot (which is indeed the origins of the word fag as a cigarette)?

Fagot is defined here:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=fagot&x=0&y=0

Fag as a cigarette has nothing to do with faggot (which was a derogatory word towards women and children before it was used to denote someone as homosexual). Fag is related to fagot (for obvious reason, if you know the definition).

Next you will tell me I should refrain from using the word niggardly or, even, mulato.

IN SHORT, fag as a cigarette has nothing to do with burning people at the stake. Gay or otherwise.

Niggardly, by the way, means stingy.

Funnily enough the other day i saw an article saying thw word gay is getting another meaning in the dictionary as something bad as well, as in the ps3 is gay (probably bs I imagine).

the wii will cost 410 $ USD in Norway so all of u who pays less and cries because they pay to much... - shut the F*** up!... i don't think 410 USD is so expensive:p.. also the games will cost 95 at it's most expensive for the wii.

u guys in America and England are lucky guys!!:yesnod: or maby i'm really unlucky:scared:

Last edited:
Yes, I often hear gay used. I cringe due to the continuous PC brainwashing that I've been through.

I do use it sometimes . . . and it is accepted generally by the public. It wasn't a derogatory word before (I suppose to use with someone who wasn't homosexual) and it has evolved past meaning homosexual.

In my mind, it almost means silly. "Don't be gay." Or don't be silly or stupid.

MANY MANY MANY used and accepted words have evolved from possibly negative origins. Gay as happy was entirely acceptable in the 50's. It was a good word too, before it was adopted and robbed of its meaning. :p

Last edited:
Well Mr. Norway, I do. I wouldn't even think of buying the system if I lived where you do. Sorry. :)

JeremyDay said:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fag

The definition doesn't seem to be derogative? What? I don't understand. /friendly sarcasm

I hate to do it. But the remarks earlier drive me crazy. If you are going to look at the geneology or general meanings of a word, dig a little.

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/qx/fag-coat-arms.htm

Maybe fag is just a short form of fagot (which is indeed the origins of the word fag as a cigarette)?

Fagot is defined here:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=fagot&x=0&y=0

Fag as a cigarette has nothing to do with faggot (which was a derogatory word towards women and children before it was used to denote someone as homosexual). Fag is related to fagot (for obvious reason, if you know the definition).

Next you will tell me I should refrain from using the word niggardly or, even, mulato.

IN SHORT, fag as a cigarette has nothing to do with burning people at the stake. Gay or otherwise.

Niggardly, by the way, means stingy.

I'm not offended by words that sound like derogatory words; that would be completly stupid.

All I was trying to say is why use the word "gay" and possibly offend someone that is actually gay when you could just say idiot, stupid, dope, loser, etc? People today are now trying to say gay just means bad, but a sexual preference (as long as it's not that of a pedafile or murderer or something like that) isn't bad, it's just exisistant. Ugh, sorry for getting this off topic. I sort of thought this would happen.

It doesn't matter. It passes time. How old are you Nate? I'm not saying that as an insult. I'm not trying to imply you speak or argue like a 12 year old. You post well.

I just know that at the age of 30 . . . I'm tired. I'm tired of the politically correct dictates and the movement towards being socially oversensitive to words. It's tiresome. I'm tired.

Words are words are words. Toughen up everyone please. If I so chose, I could slaughter millions of people (for arguements sake) and fly above me a banner of a potato . . . and I could shout the word potato before each slaughter for all to hear.

They would fear this once common and loved word. They would revile it. This food would become synonymous with evil and potatos might then be slaughter and driven out of existence.

Then we would be without delicious french fries (or chips for you Limeys out there).

Take no offence Nate and have no worries. I'm just passing the time until November 19th.

Thanks Mate,

JD

JeremyDay said:
It doesn't matter. It passes time. How old are you Nate? I'm not saying that as an insult. I'm not trying to imply you speak or argue like a 12 year old. You post well.

I just know that at the age of 30 . . . I'm tired. I'm tired of the politically correct dictates and the movement towards being socially oversensitive to words. It's tiresome. I'm tired.

Words are words are words. Toughen up everyone please. If I so chose, I could slaughter millions of people (for arguements sake) and fly above me a banner of a potato . . . and I could shout the word potato before each slaughter for all to hear.

They would fear this once common and loved word. They would revile it. This food would become synonymous with evil and potatos might then be slaughter and driven out of existence.

Then we would be without delicious french fries (or chips for you Limeys out there).

Take no offence Nate and have no worries. I'm just passing the time until November 19th.

Thanks Mate,

JD

Thanks for the compliments and as for my age, I just turned 18 a few weeks ago.

Well, I've heard that argument before and it's true words are just words, letters put together that really don't mean anything. It's like time; it doesn't really exsist, it's just something humans created to know when to plant crops and whatnot. At the same time, words are everything. If we didn't have them, we would have a rough time explaining what we want, need, think.

I know, for one, that I'm not entirely politically correct. I still say retard on a regular basis and I really shouldn't, although being mentally retarded can never really be considered a good thing and is usually thought of to be a handicap. That said, I have a family friend who has an adopted son who's retarded and I never say that word around him, which isn't good of me. I should talk to everyone the same and so, I'm trying to use that word less and less.

I'm sure you're frustrated, as many are with being acused of being politically incorrect. I hate when I say something and people think I'm being racist when I'm absolutly not. I get annoyed also by groups that have been profiled in the past then use words like gay in a negative way, doing the same thing to another group of people that they hated when it was done to them.

Everyone can accuse me of bad scholarship here, but I'm not going to verify, link, or look up this tid bit.

I believe that moron, idiot, etc. are classifications on the original IQ scale that have been adapted and put to use in the english language.

Moron

This is the only word to be voted into the English language. It is the scientific designation for a feeble minded person. It was adapted in 1910 by the American Association for the Study of the Feeble Minded from the name of a foolish character in Moliere's play "La Princesse d'Elide".
Source: QPB Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins

Ok, I lied. But case in point.

Well tha debate grows cold. We aren't disagreeing anyway.

I will finish my comments with this: it is always the intent behind the word that matters. The delivery is important too (which reflects the intent).

Ok, I'm done. Phew. :)

Ok I lied again. I'm not done.

Would someone please post some breaking news about the Wii being available October 1st or something?

Thanks.

Correct

Unless I read it wrong, aren't they getting the Wii for around $200 dollars? :( Makes me feel bad again.

Back