wii costs nintendo $158

while its an extra 100 in American money, your cost of living is probably much different than ours as well as your currency system (obvisually), but according to that it's the "same"

Remember the marketing costs and labor, etc. that aren't shown in that calcualation.

Also for the Sony remeber that they are praying you will get hooked on the BluRay HD disks (which by "chance") is the technology which they hope people will want to adopt versus HD DVD...since it is their proprietary technology. You think they will make some money off the DVDs which costs about $2 to make and package and then retail for about $20.....hmmmmm

HD-DVD is going to win hands down, Blu-ray needs entirely new manufacturering equipment for the discs, where as the HD-DVD is just a simple upgrade, which also means less money.

Though this is surprisingly low, Nintendo is still losing money. When you consider all of their up-front costs (R&D), overhead/building costs, tech support/staff, shipping, controllers, Wii sports production, and the cut the retailer gets, they take a loss. A ton more goes into a product than the cost of materials and labor.

xbandaidx said:
HD-DVD is going to win hands down, Blu-ray needs entirely new manufacturering equipment for the discs, where as the HD-DVD is just a simple upgrade, which also means less money.

Not to mention microsoft will hire people to assassinate everyone behind blu-ray.

vagrant said:
Not to mention microsoft will hire people to assassinate everyone behind blu-ray.

I forgot to mention that.

Yeah the fact that Microsoft is backing it is huge as well, because microsoft can just give HD-DVD built into their OS. They might lack on Sonys crap.

i dont care i love my wii i would off paid 600 for it at the end of the day each company will find out a way to make profit.

xbandaidx said:
I believe its about 20-30 games they need to break even for each console sold.

20-30 PS3 games?! Are you sure you've got that figure right? That would be about $2000-3000! Hell, I only own about about 20-30 games for my PS2...six years after it launched. Not to mention the PS3 is launching with 13 launch titles. (Depending on which country you're in, I think this number varies)

Wii is still awesome.

Kyle said:
20-30 PS3 games?! Are you sure you've got that figure right? That would be about $2000-3000! Hell, I only own about about 20-30 games for my PS2...six years after it launched. Not to mention the PS3 is launching with 13 launch titles. (Depending on which country you're in, I think this number varies)

Wii is still awesome.

Actually 20 to 30 games is more like $1200 to $1800, and not all of that is profit for Sony.

csiguy4u said:
Actually 20 to 30 games is more like $1200 to $1800, and not all of that is profit for Sony.

yeah that's if each game is $60, I imagine some first party ones may be as much as $80, at least I read the spread was approx $60 - $80

Just because it only cost them $158 to produce does not mean they did not spend a lot more of the wii to sell it. And even if they did not, a $100 markup is not that bad.

The sneakers you are wearing were probably marked up by 300%!

WiiWidget said:
Just because it only cost them $158 to produce does not mean they did not spend a lot more of the wii to sell it. And even if they did not, a $100 markup is not that bad.

The sneakers you are wearing were probably marked up by 300%!

Nintendo makes $40 per wii. Like I already said.

40 bucks a wii?

Woah, that's a nice little chunk of pocket change, counting that there should be 4 mil out by the end of the year.

Which is like.. 4 million times 40? Like... 160 million bucks in profit in a month and... two weeks-ish!?

No waaaay...

I say the next system's gonna be up to par graphic-wise with the next batch of consoles. And we know how schweet that will be.
That's some serious profit in such a little time!

Trulen said:
40 bucks a wii?

Woah, that's a nice little chunk of pocket change, counting that there should be 4 mil out by the end of the year.

Which is like.. 4 million times 40? Like... 160 million bucks in profit in a month and... two weeks-ish!?

No waaaay...

I say the next system's gonna be up to par graphic-wise with the next batch of consoles. And we know how schweet that will be.
That's some serious profit in such a little time!

160 million, then take away for manufacuring/shipping/marketing/etc.

Back