Wii Dashboard?

NateTheGreat

Pondering Member
Jun 30, 2006
A basement on the hill.
Wii Online Code
4054-9249-4284-3802
As I was gazing at my collection of Wii pictures, my eye was caught so many times by the "home" button on the Wiimote and Classic Contoller. (click on the pics below)

Wii_remote5view_0501.jpgWii_classic_0501.jpg

This reminded me of the Xbox 360's center "X" button, which brings up the Dashboard that allows the user to pause the game, change system settings, and even pick their own music to listen to while playing.

The PS3 will most likely have a knock-off of this feature, but will Wii have some kind of Dashboard feature, or is that "home" button just a pause incognito?

I for one, think it will do more than stop the action; look how the Wiimote used to be labled below.

controle1.jpg

What are your opinions?

yeah, ive seen that before and wondered what it was. i hope its not a dashboard button. the X button is way too close to the pause button and it gets frustrating when im trying to get to a game menu but i accedentally press that button -_-' (so annoying)

well the two on the sides must be for the volume, but the home button is mysterious. I believe that it will do more than just pause the game. Only time will tell exactly what it does...

i think the two on the sides are pause and select. i dont know why theyre "+" and "-". maybe to make it seem less like a video game

Here's a pic of the Classic Controller's button commands and the "home" button is used to just quit the game!?

v1.jpg
(click to enlarge)

I don't think that's a good idea if that's all you have to do to quit because you might just hit it accidentially and suddenly you're out of the game.

I know that this may seem a bit off topic, and it's funny that it's in my own thread, but I wanted to make a line-up of how the Wiimote's buttons have changed and yes, there was a seperate thread about this, but they only showed two pics and mine has three.

13.jpgP1010315-2.jpgWii_remote5view_0501.jpg
(In order from oldest to most recent; click to enlarge)

The one in the middle really confuses me because it was at E3, but so was the third one!

Why Nintendo? Why must you taunt me so?:confused:

NateTheGreat said:
I know that this may seem a bit off topic, and it's funny that it's in my own thread, but I wanted to make a line-up of how the Wiimote's buttons have changed and yes, there was a seperate thread about this, but they only showed two pics and mine has three.

View attachment 322View attachment 323View attachment 324
(In order from oldest to most recent; click to enlarge)

The one in the middle really confuses me because it was at E3, but so was the third one!

Why Nintendo? Why must you taunt me so?:confused:
supposedly Nintendo ran out of controllers for all the machines so had to use the prototypes they had laying around :scared: (might be why some of the games got bad reviews, different innards:sick: ).

Hmm. The Home button could be one of two things:

1. It could connect you to the Internet. The default homesite (where you first go when you connect to the 'net) would be Opera's web page. But I bet you could change those settings.

2. Home could just mean Wii's main menu where you can access everything from.

Hopefully if home is to the wii main menu there is a paused game confirm before it takes you back, and hopefully it works better then the 360, I hear that think freezes if you look at it wrong.

Mr_Stoukaph said:
the 2nd and 3rd ones look the same. only the third has "Home" and "Wii" on it

No, actually, if you look closely, in the 2nd picture the button to the right of the "home" key is a "pause" button and to the left of the "home" key is sort of a "back" button.

With regard to the differences between the 2nd and 3rd Wiimote's "home" key, you are right; the third has "home" and "wii" on it and the 2nd does not.

I'm thinking Kalimar might be right, saying it's a way to bring up the Opera web browser, but not 100% convinced yet.

I dont understand something, if u look closely it says MADE IN CHINA, isnt it suposed to say made in japan?

Perhaps the home button is when u are browsing on opera and u want to get back to ur homepage like on a computer.

Back