Wii dev kit *pics*

im_a_super_smash_bro said:
woah what is a dev kit?

What game designers get to make their games with (i dont exatly know what is different)

They managed to keep it quite small considering the size of the wii (dev kits are always much bigger)

A dev kit, or Developer Kit, is what game developers use to test their games. Developers got these slightly funky looking dev kits because at the time, the final version of Wii wasn't finished and also, they're made most likely with cheaper platic to keep costs low.

Looking at the pictures, I sort of wish Nintendo had made the Reset and Power buttons one button, sort of like the PS2. That way you just tap it and it restarts and then if you want to actually turn it off, just hold down the button for a few seconds. The flap that hides the SYNC button and SD memory card slot could also have been made into a sliding flap, so there's no chance the hinge pops off.

I don't really care that much, but less buttons = less moving parts that can break, which = fewer problems.

I like the two-tone style aswell. Even if Ninendo doesn't release face plates, which they won't because then they'd be copying the Xbox 360, I'm sure online stores, like decalgirl.com, will.

Gosh, I must say, I think the Wii is probably the best looking console I've ever seen; reminds me of the Mac mini and the Xbox 360. The Gamecube had a similar look, aswell. Nintendo seems to make their consoles look more and more like modern art or something.

Nice find, iOn.

Last edited:
:lol: It looks like someone spray painted that green face minutes before they shipped the things out. LoL. Who cares as long as 3rd party developers pull through for us this time around.

I dont know if nintendo will make face plates, but Im sure some other company like mad catz or something will.

ive seen pics of the devkit it is huge this is probably a de bugging kit that developers get make sure it works completly

^Was that not the original devkit which had Gamecube ports and no Wiimote?

I think this is the final/new devkit being given to developers, whereby, its still the same devkit, just now its smaller, more wii-like and has wiimote functionality.
But thats just going by my (bad) memory and what I read off joystiq.. can anyone confirm?

Back