Wii? Dial up? Lol?

Nimoi

WiiChat Member
Nov 3, 2007
Wii Online Code
8182-4961-9048-4138
So, last year I had cable internet. I went through two Nintendo Wifi connectors and am now on my third one. I would use the Internet Channel, Everybody Votes, News, Weather, and even sometimes the Wii Shop channel just about everyday. But, most of the time my Wii couldn't connect, even with this new Wifi Connector and the new drivers with it. There was always something I had to do to fix it.

Move the Wii closer.
Stand the Wii vertically.
Lay down the Wii horizontally.
Move the Wifi connector closer.
Turn the Wifi connector on its back to let that side cool down.
Get the Wifi connector away from metal.

I'm not sure what was causing all of these problems, but after trying at least a few of these things I would get my connection back!
Then I found out that I was moving to an area with no highspeed available. Yippee, everything I have come to enjoy? Gone?

I searched around to see if it was even possible to connect on dial up. From the posts I saw, you couldn't send messages/access the Wii Shop Channel on dial up, let alone play games.

So, here I am on dial up six months later. I connected my Wifi connector, just to see if it would work and let me connect. And, I've come to notice a few things. Although it is indeed slow, I can still download games from the Wii Shop channel overnight, I can send messages, view all of the channels as before, everything. It has not messed up on me once. So, you don't exactly need a broadband connection like the manual says.

No way I am playing Brawl like this. Here is to hoping DSL is available in my town before February!

No way I am playing Brawl like this. Here is to hoping DSL is available in my town before February!

If you play Brawl with dial-up....I'll come over to your house and beat you with a big pointy stick:mad5:

(Jk) :lol:

I have a highspeed internet service thats costs me and my bros 40$ and just 5 houses down they have a better service thats costs 25$....3 Houses Down!
When i call them they say..please be patient while we expand our company.

laderer5 said:
If you play Brawl with dial-up....I'll come over to your house and beat you with a big pointy stick:mad5:

(Jk) :lol:

I have a highspeed internet service thats costs me and my bros 40$ and just 5 houses down they have a better service thats costs 25$....3 Houses Down!
When i call them they say..please be patient while we expand our company.
There is no way I am even going to try playing any games like this. I got the same message from the company here in the summer. My friend was ordering a phone line with them and they told him that he could get DSL instead! So he orders DSL and finally a month later the guy shows up and tells him that it isn't available in the town, even after they told him it was on the phone.

I just ordered DSL with them yesterday and was sure to ask several times if they were sure it was available in my town. I have been hearing rumors about it being here now; a few people's neighbors have it. But, that isn't really reliable, and they have lied to us once...

They wanted me to pay $80 every month for it. Some stupid promotion, and I had to fight around different people to get the $30 plan. They are going to hook it up this coming Wednesday... If I'm lucky. Please don't be another lie. :nonod:

I hope SSBB implements the connection-checker function from Strikers, that warns you if you are playing someone with a crap connection.

GL with the highspeed internet, right now i have RoadRunner.

Plus im hoping Nintendo buys like a million servers because if they arent prepared Brawl will crash them all the first hour.

Nimoi said:
So, here I am on dial up six months later. I connected my Wifi connector, just to see if it would work and let me connect. And, I've come to notice a few things. Although it is indeed slow, I can still download games from the Wii Shop channel overnight, I can send messages, view all of the channels as before, everything. It has not messed up on me once. So, you don't exactly need a broadband connection like the manual says.

I once downloaded Doom 95 with 2400 baud modem (mid ninties, 14.4 was already standard, but I was a little behind the times). 5 megs took almost a month (connecting at night and letting it run till morning). I even played Doom multiplayer with buddy over that modem. Painful, but doable.

Average users not willing to put up with the pain are going to want broadband for everything, and the reason Nintendo says it's required is that they don't want to be blamed for the painfully slow speeds--since most consumers aren't savvy enough to know what's to blame.

For the rest of us, impossible means nothing. There's always another way.

I know your pain Nimoi I am stuck on dialup. We should be getting DSL by January but even when we do, I live 3 miles from the place that puts it out so I will be lucky to be pulling 100kb/s down and 50kb/s up. That's probably not even good enough for online wii play. We'll see either way. Getting sick of having to wait for things personally and I am considering on hooking my Wii up to dialup just so I can experience SOMETHING. Surely a game like guitar hero 3 would run fine on dialup because the game is simple. I dunno though, I doubt anyone would be willing to test playing a game with me for when I get my wireless router.

Sorry for the double post but as I was typing that I was just thinking that I would probably be freaking excited just to be able to surf the web on my wii lol.

MrKlown said:
Sorry for the double post but as I was typing that I was just thinking that I would probably be freaking excited just to be able to surf the web on my wii lol.
Well, hey, I am using my Nintendo WiFi connector with dial up. I think it would be the better route to go if all you only have dial up. I installed the drivers from the disk, plugged it in, turned on internet connection sharing on my dial up, and everything works. (With Update 3.1 that is.)

If I wanted I could get on the Wii Shop channel right now and Download Paper Mario, but then I would have to wait all night until it was finished before I could use my connection, if it even finished after 9 hours.

The Check Mii Out channel downloaded in about 35 minutes and it was 70 blocks I believe. The internet channel is about 300 blocks I think, so if you want to use the internet channel with your Wii, you would have to leave it on and let it download for some time.

If your dial up disconnects for whatever reason, you have to restart the download though, so it's best to do it at night when you have the least chance of getting called and the server is not in as much use.

If I am able to get DSL Wednesday I'll be so glad, but until then, we are in the same boat.

Gamestop or EBgames should have one of those Nintendo WiFi connectors. You need to have Windows XP to install it. If you have any problems, I can help since I've had to mess with those a lot.

Heh, I thought I was the only one who had to connect with Dial up.

(I want to Try Tetris DS because I used to play it online a lot before I moved. :p )

Back