Wii drive protection bypassed via a PC

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
The current modchips available for the Wii console only act as a bypass for the Wii's disc drive protection - preventing any back-up discs it detects from booting on the console.

According to a recent video posted on youtube you can achieve the same effect with a parallel port cable soldered to the drive board and then run the backup games via a PC.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkaiFPRHF8[/MEDIA]

Textb00k: (the video author)
You will need a male parallel port and a couple diodes, both parts available at Radioshack for under 3 bucks. Follow Erant's instructions on soldering in the cable, then use Syndicate or WAB's "ISO Loader" or "WABModCheap" programs to temporarily patch the drive firwmare to allow backups to load. Not as feasabile as a modchip for the reason that you have to use a PC every time, but for 3 bucks and the chance to get it done right then, it was worth it for me.

I almost did it but Decided not to because you still need to open up your Wii and solder stuff. So if you're already going to open up your Wii and solder imo i'm just going to get a modchip after a few of them are on the market.

odd seeing as parallel connections dont support plug and play, some motherboards would fry if you plug a parallel device while its running... :shocked:

Cool Stuff, Last time I open a gaming console I never go it to work again! but I love to see it in action

GaryT85 said:
odd seeing as parallel connections dont support plug and play, some motherboards would fry if you plug a parallel device while its running... :shocked:

Parallel cables can be plugged in while a computer is running, we used to do it all the time with printers or null modem cables.

I'd suggest the Wii should off before plugging it in, but you shouldn't have to shut down your PC.

The only external connectors on a motherboard that really require you to shut down the pc is PS2 ports, you won't fry anything plugging them in while running though, they just won't do anything.

Y just not buy a proper version of the game? Hmmm thought you people where hardcore Nintendo fans...well done for supportin them:rolleyes:

That is very odd that they would use a parallel port, I figure at least USB or Firewire to eliminate any possible lag time. We will have to see how this developes after awhile.

Back