Wii Drive Sounds (Not Normal?)

Tek720

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2006
Wii Drive Sounds (Video - Not Normal?)

I bought my Wii the day it launched. I have been noticing the drive making clicking sounds at start-up with a disc in the drive. During MoH: Heros 2 I can hear the laser eye moving. Called Nintendo and they told me it was not normal. So I have made a video to see what everyone else thinks. Bad news is that I am currently 1 day out of warranty. Nintendo was willing to cover it for free after saying how bad that was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9J3PrTdK58

Sounds louder than it does in person when being filmed, but these are the sounds none the less. This is at power-up with a disc in the drive.

Last edited:
Yeah it shouldn't be making a clicking sound like that at all.
Send er' in to get fixed or replaced as soon as you can.

My friend has a Wii and he claims it doesn't make the noise. Nintendo said it should make no noises like that.

I am sending it back. I will keep this thread updated with the repair status.

I would suggest calling Nintendo.

Received my Wii back from repair. Nintendo determined the disc drive needed to be replaced.

The new drive is much quieter. There are still clicking sounds at boot-up, but they are healthy sounding and soft. Before the repair the clicks sounded more like grinding and were loud.

Sent my Wii in on 2/25 and recieved it back today (3/3).

EDIT: O ya they extended my warranty 1 year. Considering that I was 1 day out of warranty when I opened the repair, NOA is top-notch in my book.

My wii is making a sound like that, maybe not as loud. It makes the sound when i put a game in and when ever its loading something. Its not really clicking sounds but more of the laser eye moving, but there shouldn't be any sounds coming from it that you hear from across the room should there?

Mine has made a similair noise since day one, Never had a problem with it,

Noise Time

I have my Wii since June of 2007. We just played one game, the wii sports, until Christmas when we bought 3 more games (I mention this because it shows the wii drive system was lightly used for 6 months by 2 adults). In January, when I went to play a game I heard a bunch of clicking noises and got the "unable to load game disc" error. I followed the instructions for debugging, turned it off, let it sit for a half hour (even though it said only 5 minutes), turned it back on and it still wouldn't work.

I still could use all the other functions, so I still played wii-voting and downloaded games, etc. I decided to do one last test before I called nintendo to get it fixed. I put in a disc and it worked, no clicking noises either. Figured the problem was solved, but I was still a little worried.

Then I took my wii to a friends house, plugged it in and tried to play a game and it wouldn't work. I got the clicking noises. After some debugging, I have determined that my wii will work after it is plugged in and in the orange "standbye" mode for a while. It seems like it needs to be "warmed up".

If I go from off and unplugged to try and play a game I get the clicking a disc error. I do not think this is normal. Did a scan of the forums, but didn't find anyone with this exact issue. Does anyone think I will have trouble trying to get this fixed since I found a work around? I want to do it while it is under warranty, but I know little about how they "fix" these. Do they give you a new wii? A refurb? Could they make it worse than it is now by replacing the drive? Will it show up as no error when nintendo tries to debug since it is an intermittent error? Advice please?

fritzkrieg said:
I have my Wii since June of 2007. We just played one game, the wii sports, until Christmas when we bought 3 more games (I mention this because it shows the wii drive system was lightly used for 6 months by 2 adults). In January, when I went to play a game I heard a bunch of clicking noises and got the "unable to load game disc" error. I followed the instructions for debugging, turned it off, let it sit for a half hour (even though it said only 5 minutes), turned it back on and it still wouldn't work.

I still could use all the other functions, so I still played wii-voting and downloaded games, etc. I decided to do one last test before I called nintendo to get it fixed. I put in a disc and it worked, no clicking noises either. Figured the problem was solved, but I was still a little worried.

Then I took my wii to a friends house, plugged it in and tried to play a game and it wouldn't work. I got the clicking noises. After some debugging, I have determined that my wii will work after it is plugged in and in the orange "standbye" mode for a while. It seems like it needs to be "warmed up".

If I go from off and unplugged to try and play a game I get the clicking a disc error. I do not think this is normal. Did a scan of the forums, but didn't find anyone with this exact issue. Does anyone think I will have trouble trying to get this fixed since I found a work around? I want to do it while it is under warranty, but I know little about how they "fix" these. Do they give you a new wii? A refurb? Could they make it worse than it is now by replacing the drive? Will it show up as no error when nintendo tries to debug since it is an intermittent error? Advice please?

They will replace the disc drive. However, they will ask you do you want the same Wii back? If you say no, then they will send you a refurb.

I had my Wii repaired because not ALL Wii data can be saved or restored by the repair company. If you have a ton of data then have them repair your Wii.

My only complaint about the repair on my Wii is the screw covers. They obviously had to pry the screw covers (which are actually little plastic stickers) off to open my Wii. A couple screw covers now have little pry marks on the edges now. Granted this has no impact on the Wii, I am just really picky.

deskilla said:
My wii is making a sound like that, maybe not as loud. It makes the sound when i put a game in and when ever its loading something. Its not really clicking sounds but more of the laser eye moving, but there shouldn't be any sounds coming from it that you hear from across the room should there?

My new drive makes light clicking sounds that sound normal. My busted drive was LOUD clicking noises that sounded like plastic gears that were grinding or slipping.

The wii does that, Its just it reading the disc's. Some games force the laser to read harder. Most Wii's will do this with games like red steal and scarface. Mainly because the games were rushed out for release and the data on the discs were not arranged properly so the drive has to work harder to find the information, If your wii makes noises but plays games ok and you don't get errors i wouldn't worry about it.

Back